Is random, really random?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alpha Shenron

02-21-2013

After countless games I'm not so sure if random, is truly random. By what system does the game randomize who you get?

The reason I ask this is because it seams I get the same set of champions over and over again, sometimes up to 3 times in a row. I highly doubt such a pattern happening with a true, random number generator. Thanks,

and before you ask, yes I have a LOT of champs..not just like 20-40

Pockyus

02-21-2013

It's all about probability. There's a chance that you get your favorite champion and there's a chance that you get your worst. The chances of getting a certain champion is 1/(how many champions you have). All champions have equal chances. Probability is probability.

Alpha Shenron

02-21-2013

Is it though? when I have 74 champs, yet I seem to get some extremely often compared to others. and sometimes 3 in a row the same champ. Which if you do the math is 74*74*74, 1 in 405,224 in advance odds. That happens somewhat often for me

Doghealer

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight5 View Post
Is it though? when I have 74 champs, yet I seem to get some extremely often compared to others. and sometimes 3 in a row the same champ. Which if you do the math is 74*74*74, 1 in 405,224 in advance odds. That happens somewhat often for me
While this is true, there are 405223 OTHER possible permutations. You could pick any one of them and say that it's rigged because you got that one and not the others.

Random is random is random. Random will occasionally repeat. Would you say a six-sided die is rigged if you rolled it twice in a row and got the same number? No, because there's a chance of that happening.

Long story short: The random numbers "7, 7, 7, 7, 7" and "5, 1, 4, 8, 3" are both just as random.

Theungry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight5 View Post
After countless games I'm not so sure if random, is truly random. By what system does the game randomize who you get?

The reason I ask this is because it seams I get the same set of champions over and over again, sometimes up to 3 times in a row. I highly doubt such a pattern happening with a true, random number generator. Thanks,

and before you ask, yes I have a LOT of champs..not just like 20-40
Highly unlikely patterns are evidence of a truly random system. You are making the common mistake of confusing random selection with varied selection.

Demonic Instinct

02-25-2013

First you factor in the possibility of random patterns. Then you factor in whether or not your allies like what they play, or else they dodge. Then you factor that for your enemies and then you have your All Random, All Mid.

Seriously, there are even people who will dodge games until they get in a game where their team "beats" the other team in champion select. Riot really needs to make matchmaking for ARAM and remove the IP cap... it would make the game type so much more enjoyable. Games would start quicker, people would dodge less, and people wouldn't be as negative.

SkepticalChymist

02-26-2013

The funny thing about random things is that its only random when you look across a HUGE pool. Like all selections ever made for every game. But when you look at a single persons "random" selections you will find champs that get picked more, less, ect. Anomaly's always pop up in random selection generations.