Improved health bars, coming soon to a league near you!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kriterian

02-26-2013

Why not an option to simply see the number? Put a giant 4000 HP above their head or a medium sized 3598/4000

DrunkenRageFish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

Oh look, their finally catching up to DotA again.

MasterEvilAce

02-26-2013

@Xelnath
This isn't really about health bar design per se... but I had an idea about showing what I'd call "tainted health" on somebody's healthbar. Tainted health would essentially show the amount of health that will be affected from damage over time abilities.

For instance, a player has 500 health. They hit a teemo shroom that will do 250 damage. Their health bar recolors 250hp at the end of the bar to another color (or perhaps a darker shade of the current color.) This is the amount that will decay over time from the sum of all debuffs currently on the player (poison, ignite, liandry's, etc.)

This would be similar to a user getting a shield from an ally, except in reverse. It shows how much health you WILL lose if you do not get healed/cleanse the DoT abilities. At later levels in the game a teemo shroom can half health you, but you won't necessarily realize just how much damage it will do until it's done all of it. It could allow for some counter-play for strong abilities like this... also ignite.

Has Riot thought about something like this? What is their stance on it? Is it possible this could be tested on the PBE to see if people enjoy it?

Thanks.

dooku183

02-26-2013

why does everybody hate health builds/*****s? i mean ive only been playing this game for a little bit, so i dont really know what the problem is :P. Cant you counter it with high AD or AS, or both? if someone could reply that be awesome, thanks!

MasterEvilAce

02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooku183 View Post
why does everybody hate health builds/*****s? i mean ive only been playing this game for a little bit, so i dont really know what the problem is :P. Cant you counter it with high AD or AS, or both? if someone could reply that be awesome, thanks!
A bruiser can build a warmogs and get an instant 1000hp. AD carries don't do much damage early game. Bruisers have high base damage and can kill a squishy AD carry before they can do enough damage to kill even a warmogs amount of health. ADC's would need 2/3 items to do it quick enough to kill a bruiser before they are killed.

BRIKHOUS

02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Hello Summoners,

Since the launch of the game, it's been hard to see how much health a champion has. We've revisited our assumptions in what information needs to be clearly conveyed to players and updated the champion health bars to handler higher health.

Here you can see how the original health bars worked:

Attachment 620771

Once Amumu passed 3,200 health, the notches stopped increasing and it is very hard to count how much health an opponent has.

Here, Amumu is modelling the new health bars:
Attachment 620772

When you cross the 1,000 health threshold, a full, dark tick now appears. This makes it easier to see how many thousands of health your opponent has.

While we tried many, many iterations, we chose this one because it balanced between familiarity (no need to re-learn what 1 tick means!) and clarity past 2,000 health.

What do you think?

"A different view..." - Kha'zix
I love the idea, but it'd be even better if you just admitted that DotA 2 has been doing this for months and you think its a good idea there. There's no shame in adopting a good approach used by someone else, unless you pretend its your own.

BRIKHOUS

02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce View Post
@Xelnath
This isn't really about health bar design per se... but I had an idea about showing what I'd call "tainted health" on somebody's healthbar. Tainted health would essentially show the amount of health that will be affected from damage over time abilities.

For instance, a player has 500 health. They hit a teemo shroom that will do 250 damage. Their health bar recolors 250hp at the end of the bar to another color (or perhaps a darker shade of the current color.) This is the amount that will decay over time from the sum of all debuffs currently on the player (poison, ignite, liandry's, etc.)

This would be similar to a user getting a shield from an ally, except in reverse. It shows how much health you WILL lose if you do not get healed/cleanse the DoT abilities. At later levels in the game a teemo shroom can half health you, but you won't necessarily realize just how much damage it will do until it's done all of it. It could allow for some counter-play for strong abilities like this... also ignite.

Has Riot thought about something like this? What is their stance on it? Is it possible this could be tested on the PBE to see if people enjoy it?

Thanks.
Interesting idea. I disagree for one reason - you can't see how much you're about to lose when you are targeted with another ability or an auto attack. Take Caitlyn ult, for example - who would jump in front if its clear you'd live? Also, I feel like it would be less useful than previously imagined when you consider health regen as well.

Bambi69

02-26-2013

Do you take all your ideas from dota?

Onioncart

02-26-2013

I like this.

PoopyMcFagPants

02-26-2013

I like