Riven Changes - A reason to Jungle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TooEzzy

02-20-2013

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion and I'm interested in hearing the community's thoughts on it.

I believe the raising of riven's ult CD brings a new advantage to jungling her. Windslash has always been a very powerful ganking tool, and with the latest patch it seems all the more beneficial to only burn it at your discrepency. This is coupled with my belief that the s3 reworks which gave way to oh-so-frequent health stacking because of its now even more superior late game scaling, makes it difficult for slightly more offensive bruisers to outlast their opponent in lane. (let's not forget that new defense tree).

Constantly procing riven's passive leads to a suprisingly quick clear, and slipping an auto attack between each stage of your Q combo lets her stick to a gank target fairly easily while doing significant damage.

I find armor pen reds, MS quints, flat armor yellows, and scaling MR blues + 9/21/0 masteries work well for myself personally - but all in all, I'm mostly hoping to see some other people's view of riven through the s3 lens. I hope you got something even slightly insightful from mine.

TooEzzy

02-24-2013

Bump -- and as an addendum - the reasoning behind my 9/21 masteries is that most points below 9 in offense seem to be more carry oriented, and while riven isnt a "real bruiser", I find the new defensive masteries can make her playstyle significantly more aggressive, coupled with movement speed quints and her already amazing mobility, your ganks are incredibly aggressive and deadly - to the point where you can be seen by a ward in river, or a support who wanders up from bot lane slightly, and still manage to reach an out of position target. That sort of ganking power is something necessary with all the god-tier gank-oriented kits you see on gap closing bruisers that have taken over the jungle (as opposed to the gp/10 support tank jungle meta)

Keatonfox

02-24-2013

Well for what it's worth, Riven jungle has become my absolute favorite role. That said - are you implying that the recent changes increase jungle viability specifically, or that the changes hurt top enough that jungling makes better use of the less frequent offense?

The 9/21 build sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a shot for sure. The extra resilience sounds like it could definitely help for going all in on ganks, which is what Riven needs to do.

I normally run 21/9 and AD quints/reds, because I feel like securing early ganks on Riven is pretty critical. If the 20 minute mark approaches and I haven't gotten any kills in addition to the lowered jungle cs, I really, really start to feel it. And it hurts bad. The increased damage also makes for faster clear times, which means more frequent ganks I find.

I'm definitely open to lots of new ideas though. She's so freakin' fun to jungle with - I'm excited whenever I hear someone else is giving it a try.

notSoinan

02-24-2013

I use her as a counter-jungler, where my objective isn't to deny farm but deny the enemy junglers life. I go wraiths, smite or smiteless red, wolves, run to enemy red and bush camp. If they are an average speed jungler smite is back up to steal it so I can use it at my red, but if they are fast I save my smite for the steal. After attempting to smite steal I emerge from the bush and jump on them, I usually burn a flash but if they run Exaust or Ignite instead I will probably kill them. I may even kill them by flashing after them when they flash.

Obviously don't even bother against someone like Udyr or Xin since they will likely be high hp after their clear but if it is a squishy jungler, lick your lips and prepare for some slaughter. Even if your counterjungling is unsuccessful because of who their jungler is or just well defended, your ganks are still powerful and I love ganking mid from the enemys wraith camp. All in all I think she is definitely a decent jungler and a safe first pick since they will probably try and counterpick you top, allowing for them to be falsely lured into picking a squishier jungler.

I run 9/21/0 or 21/9/0 depending on if my team needs a tankier champion or more damage, flat ad red, flat armor yellow, scaling MR blue and movement speed or flat ad quints, usually flat AD for jungle though because the first clear can be difficult if you don't get a good leash.