Riot Lore Team Need to Stop Using the Lore to Sum Up the Champion's Kit Style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aavak

02-20-2013

At the moment, the lore team have been using at least a paragraph on each champion saying such and such does this and that. To me, this seems like a really blunt and boring idea (and a poor example of literature). As opposed to opening with Quinn and Valor are blah blah that use their blah blah to do this and that, they could move that to the end and say, now Quinn and Valor - The Elite Ranger Team - now serve in the League of Legends representing their Homeland Demacia, fighting to honor the city and to fulfill their lifelong dream. It is a true representation of an unbreakable bond. The pair - deadly on the battlefield, leaving opponents blind and riddled with arrows long before they realize who they're fighting: not one, but two Demacian legends.

Aavak

02-21-2013

bump

Methelod

02-21-2013

An interesting argument and yes, it can be a bit heavy handed at times but to be fair. A champions lore should define quite a bit of their kit. If it doesn't, there is going to be a disconnect between the lore and the game. The lore should reflect a kit, because a kit reflects who the champion is.

The lore should also be used to expand upon the societies of the world. Every champion is supposed to be unique in relation to each other, so why not use them to provide a unique tid-bit on the world? Essentially, it should in my opinion fulfill both points.

EnvyDragon

02-22-2013

They didn't do that with Thresh.

I think the lore as it stands is actually pretty efficient at champion definition. The opening paragraph explains what the character is all about, at least in terms of theme. The kit is ALSO based on the theme, which is why the lore and kit tend to share similar elements.

In Quinn/Valor's case, the opener basically says "This champion is a ranger girl and and also a bird, they work together." It gives a sense of partnership, which - not coincidentally - their kit is ALSO designed around. The "blind and riddled with arrows" bit is supposed to imply that Valor claws at peoples' eyes, and Quinn shoots them. I don't see why it's a bad thing that the lore and kit follow the same lines.

HonorableGeneral

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post
They didn't do that with Thresh.

I think the lore as it stands is actually pretty efficient at champion definition. The opening paragraph explains what the character is all about, at least in terms of theme. The kit is ALSO based on the theme, which is why the lore and kit tend to share similar elements.

In Quinn/Valor's case, the opener basically says "This champion is a ranger girl and and also a bird, they work together." It gives a sense of partnership, which - not coincidentally - their kit is ALSO designed around. The "blind and riddled with arrows" bit is supposed to imply that Valor claws at peoples' eyes, and Quinn shoots them. I don't see why it's a bad thing that the lore and kit follow the same lines.
If anything it's a good thing. Too many RPGs (especially J-RPGs) have taught me that what is known as "gameplay and story segregation" is not good, especially not in a MOBA, where there are so many champions and having lore conflicting with a champion's kit can turn away players.