Olaf armor pen nerf too much?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fegat

02-20-2013

His win rate stands at 40% right now which is ridiculously low and in fact lower than heimerdinger.

KakeManz

02-20-2013

Yes and No. I mean those numbers don't lie, but I think it's more of a case that people got so used to dominating olaf that a lot of trash players started maining him, then couldn't handle the nerf. I have a couple of friends that still do very well with Olaf, and in fact one of my ranked games today was against an Olaf. We won the game, but the Olaf was the best player on the other team, if I remember correctly he lead in kills and least deaths on his team, as well as had pretty good farm.

So yeah I think as times goes on, even without a buff the numbers should change as some of the worse players realize that they aren't actually that skilled with Olaf and before they were just riding on Olaf's power.

Now of course this is all just speculation as I don't actually play Olaf myself, so I could be completely wrong, but that's just my point of view.

Jolteøn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

Got nerfed so hard

AndersMMO

02-21-2013

The interesting thing is that Olaf was floating at a less than 50% win rate PRE-NERF. (~48%)

They then proceeded to macerate the power level of his ultimate nuking his win rate to 40%. Over-nerfed right?

WRONG. The thing that people aren't looking at is his win-rate in high-elo and maximum-skill-cap scenarios.

If you look at the stats where every 700-elo tom, dick, and harry played Olaf when he became popular in tournament, of course it looked bad. But, if you looked at his tourney win-rate 2 tournaments pre-nerf (an OGN) he was at 78% win rate...

Add-in to all of this his still a solid T1-T2 pick and the nerf was totally justifiable. He just necessitates a higher skill cap now because there's a clause when ulting; do I use it to escape or aggress?

TLDR; Maybe overnerfed, but undoubtedly needed some nerf.

Realyst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

He was sincerely overnerfed. Olaf's primary weakness is his inability to gap close efficiently, or stay on target. His primary power problem was his high damage output without needing AD items, due to his passive, true damage, and insanely high AD ratio on Q. What did Riot do?

They took away the passive (maybe ok), nerfed his tankiness, nerfed his regen, and severely nerfed his slow (which already was pretty ****ty). The result is an Olaf who is significantly weaker across the board, and has an even harder time gap closing and staying on target. All phases of his game are significantly worse now. There really wasn't a justification for so many nerfs, nor across the board nerfs. Blanket nerfs are for champions who are gamebreaking overpowered, and absolutely dominating Ranked play.

Olaf was neither game-breakingly overpowered, nor dominating ranked play (5v5 or 3v3). Simply another example of Riot's inability to balance the game properly.

Lime Josh

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Logan View Post
He was sincerely overnerfed. Olaf's primary weakness is his inability to gap close efficiently, or stay on target. His primary power problem was his high damage output without needing AD items, due to his passive, true damage, and insanely high AD ratio on Q. What did Riot do?

They took away the passive (maybe ok), nerfed his tankiness, nerfed his regen, and severely nerfed his slow (which already was pretty ****ty). The result is an Olaf who is significantly weaker across the board, and has an even harder time gap closing and staying on target. All phases of his game are significantly worse now. There really wasn't a justification for so many nerfs, nor across the board nerfs. Blanket nerfs are for champions who are gamebreaking overpowered, and absolutely dominating Ranked play.

Olaf was neither game-breakingly overpowered, nor dominating ranked play (5v5 or 3v3). Simply another example of Riot's inability to balance the game properly.
is this a serious thread?
since when is 320 thrue damage not OP? and olaf not dominating 3s or 5s? have u not played 3s?

Realyst

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime Josh View Post
is this a serious thread?
since when is 320 thrue damage not OP? and olaf not dominating 3s or 5s? have u not played 3s?
Poppy's Q with a Sheen procs for nearly 1k damage on a shorter cooldown than Olaf's E, and it resets her auto-attack, unlike Olaf's E. Your point is invalid.