@Riot Idea for diamond transition

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

basketball95

02-20-2013

I will first say that this situation does not apply to me as I am far from there but...

I've seen on the forums a lot of problems of high people getting demoted from challenger tier and also from people who have finished diamond tier 1 and they cant get to challenger because it is full. This makes it very frustrating for some players ive seen and i have an idea to fix this.

The main problem is that it is too easy to get to the point of being eligible for challenger. If there are many players in diamond then it comes natural that some will be able to get past diamond tier and perhaps far more than 50. Now since there is a time span of safety once you have attained challenger it quickly becomes full not allowing those players to make it.

The idea stems from the old Elo system where basically the higher rated players would get less Elo for winning vs players with lower elo and losing more elo if they lost to lower rated players. Also it was very hard to get to the top of the ladder.

So here it is there are a few ways to try and stop the problem.

1) Make LP gains in diamond lower and make LP loss higher. Basically this means that you need to be winning a significant portion of your games to get through diamond. It doesnt cut it to be going 50% or just over that. You need to be winning a good 60-70% of your games. I see people quickly get mad that they get a troll or whatever and they lose too much. That number can be adjusted based on some math but you need to be winning more than your losing.

2) Second idea would be to make a tier between diamond and challenger. Call it pre-challenger. Like congrats you made it through the tiers and now you need to prove that your worthy of making it to the very top.

3) Make diamond harder to get through. Right now you can get a streak of 5-6 games and pass through a division. Not that uncommon to do. Make LP gains in diamond slower or make it such that you need to get to 200-300 LP to move up and once you move up to the next division, you get one or two losses at 0LP and your up for a demotion. That grace period is lowered a bit to make it harder to stay in.

4) Im sure this is already in but make the majority of players in bronze-silver tier. Before with the elo system around 75% of players i think it was were under 1250 and 1400 was top 10%. Gold was top 2-3% and plat was a lot less im guessing. Dont kill me if those arent the right numbers but basically there should be less players in plat and diamond. If needed make something below bronze to help and spread people out in there and call it pewter which is archetypal of 4th place or some other name but make the percentage of players who get higher very small.

5) In the elo system the top elo was somewhere around 2500-3000. I dont know the number but then only 12-13 elo were gained and lost per game. Now there are 2500 possible LP positions but about 20 LP are gained or lost per game so you can move up much quicker. Use an above method to try and make more possible LPs.

Anyway those are some suggestions feel free to leave your own or comment on the ones I made.

Terilmator

02-20-2013

Great idea man. I think it could solve a lot of problem. Upvote for this one.

Alumenlux

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball95 View Post
2) Second idea would be to make a tier between diamond and challenger. Call it pre-challenger. Like congrats you made it through the tiers and now you need to prove that your worthy of making it to the very top.
yes

plat is new gold and diamond is new plat, but the "new diamond" is some messed up limited tier. I'm ok with having an exclusive tier like that, ik im not good enough to be there. but knowing that there's no motivation for me to grind through diamond.

Meatcarnage

02-20-2013

I got an easier way to diamond, kneepads, chapstick, morello.

basketball95

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumenlux View Post
yes

plat is new gold and diamond is new plat, but the "new diamond" is some messed up limited tier. I'm ok with having an exclusive tier like that, ik im not good enough to be there. but knowing that there's no motivation for me to grind through diamond.
exactly the point gold used to be a tier where everyone was looked at as very good and not so anymore. its fine that they all got moved down but we need something to replace the top thats not so limited