Need internet/router/wifi tech help! Will gift $10RP for your working solution!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Poliwrath

02-20-2013

I'll try and keep this short while giving you all the information.

Last few days wifi running really slow- cannot play games in LoL due to 200+ ping and random 1000+ ping. If I am hardlined into the router, ping drops to my normal 30 - 40 ping, when I disconnected it, shot back up to 200+ and hit random 1000+ pings.

Did a hard reset and reinstalled my router (using CD drive from original router box). Internet, when hardlined in from the router works just fine. However, still cannot connect to my router via wifi. I have successfully connected my laptop to neighbors wifi no problem (that's how I'm able to type in here). The other laptop in the house also cannot connect to the home wifi. But when hardlined in from the router itself, the other laptop works fine.

Also, something weird, I cannot connect directly using a cable from the modem itself. The modem has to be connected to the router, then from the router connect via cable to the computers. Don't know if it is supposed to be like that.

Anyways, suggestions please? Think I need a new router? Currently, I have the router unplugged from everything. In an hour or so, I will reconnect it, if it works, yay! (voids RP rewards)

If I cannot solve this before I leave the house in a few hours, I will just buy a new router and hope that solves the problem (voids $10RP reward) I don't think it's my laptop, I'm on someone elses connection right now! Thanks for reading!

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

02-20-2013

Either your router is going bad, or there is excessive noise in the wireless spectrum.

Home routers use the 2.4Ghz spectrum, and 11 channels in it. Some newer models will also use the 5.8Ghz spectrum, and if your device has a compatible card, you can connect to that.

The problem with 2.4Ghz is that it is extremely crowded.....

All your home routers use it
Microwaves can cause noise in it.
Cordless phones.
Remote control cars.
Baby monitors.

So, depending on the environment, you could have a lot of noise sources competing for that same spectrum. When this happens the wireless performance dogs out and becomes worthless.

Ways around it? Log into the router and change the channel it broadcasts on to 9, 10, or 11. By default most devices use channel 6, and people typically don't change it from that. So, if it is a noise source, this COULD help or resolve it.

Odds are though, based on how bad it sounds, the router is just going bad. They are only designed for about 3 years service life, after that, consider yourself lucky.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGr8TeStPiNoY85 View Post
Last few days wifi running really slow- cannot play games in LoL due to 200+ ping and random 1000+ ping. If I am hardlined into the router, ping drops to my normal 30 - 40 ping, when I disconnected it, shot back up to 200+ and hit random 1000+ pings.
That sounds like a signal blocking issue.
It is either the antenna of your router broke or you are too far away/behind a wall or something.

You did hard reset the router right? And then configured a new wi-fi and nothing changed?

Quote:
The other laptop in the house also cannot connect to the home wifi. But when hardlined in from the router itself, the other laptop works fine.
Wait, you cannot connect or have very high latency? they are different problems.

Quote:
Also, something weird, I cannot connect directly using a cable from the modem itself. The modem has to be connected to the router, then from the router connect via cable to the computers. Don't know if it is supposed to be like that.
Your modem probably uses a proxy and your windows isn't smart enough to find it by itself.

Quote:
Anyways, suggestions please? Think I need a new router? Currently, I have the router unplugged from everything.

Could be simply things or difficult things

Simple solutions: Try taking off and then putting the Antenna again.
If you have another router or something, try changing the Antenna and see if it works.

Try moving your router somewhere else. Could be some interference on the place it is right now.

Your router could be broken too, getting interference from something that shouldn't actually interfere.

Also, if your router is heating too much can be an overheating problem. My wi-fi stops working when my router heats too much.

Make sure nothing is blocking the router or the antenna.

That's about it, if nothing of these helps, then only a new router will solve.
(and yes, a new router should solve the problem regardless)

Easy Pickins

02-20-2013

I have problems like that with my wireless sometimes, and have to go into the router options through my browser and manually change channels until I find a working one.

Poliwrath

02-20-2013

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions.

After leaving the router off and then turning it back on after a few hours of being disconnected, it still did not work. I will attempt to figure out how to manually change channels.

But in the end, I probably will end up buying a new router and seeing if that solves the problem.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2013

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions.

After leaving the router off and then turning it back on after a few hours of being disconnected, it still did not work. I will attempt to figure out how to manually change channels.

But in the end, I probably will end up buying a new router and seeing if that solves the problem.

so...

no free RP?

XxAngelVIIxX

02-21-2013

Quote:

It might help if you gave us specifics on YOUR router? Who makes it? What's the model? If nothing else, one of the tech savvy forum goers might be able to give you instructions on channel changing? No sense in spending money on a new router if the old one isn't broken, right?

Also, the company who makes your router should have tech help available. How old is it now? Even if your warranty is no longer applicable, the makers tech help people should be able to tell you if it's a hardware, software, or noise problem?