Is Gangplank underpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clark62

02-20-2013

His ult is pretty good, but he doesn't benefit from AD nearly as much as other bruisers. Would it be a good idea to change his ultimate to physical with AD scaling? Unless there's already enough AD bruisers, you could change his Q to magic with AP scaling lool.

Shuggendo

02-20-2013

Gangplank is kinda tricky. He's much better AD though lol, if you made Parrley AP it would just be ridiculous and then every GP would go AP and heal like crazy with Remove Scurvy as well as blasting you away with Parrley and Cannon Barrage.

Darkotas

02-20-2013

His Q used to be AP. but they changed it a long, long time ago. His ult needs to stay magic damage so that he's not completely countered by armor, but an AD scaling could be nice.

Kholdstare13

02-20-2013

What if his ult had a unique crit effect? Every cannonball in the ult has a crit chance to be a larger AoE and apply grog soaked blade to targets hit.

Also, let him raise morale while moving. That one is absolutely necessary.

omegam0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggendo View Post
Gangplank is kinda tricky. He's much better AD though lol, if you made Parrley AP it would just be ridiculous and then every GP would go AP and heal like crazy with Remove Scurvy as well as blasting you away with Parrley and Cannon Barrage.
The way you described him... just made me think he would be another form of AP yi... odd

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-20-2013

from one standpoint he is from another hes borderline OP with those permaslows and built-in CC removal.

but at the end of the day he has trouble winning games at high levels of play.

masterdragon481

02-20-2013

This is not a good solution, no offense. Gangplank has gotten nerfed, directly and indirectly a lot in the past. There are other threads that detail this, but in general the changes to the mastery page (removing crit chance), and the atmas nerf are the two that finally put an end to gangplanks viability. He is an awkward melee carry with one damaging ability that can't be used to harrass. But because of his lack of other abilities to make up for this, he cannot toplane effectively at all.

His ultimate remains the only part of his kit (and I believe of all kits in game) that rely on luck to be effective. When riot originally removed the crit masteries, their reasoning was to remove the random chance to force someone out of lane. They did this, but they left GP ultimate as a random ulti. So, without a reliable ultimate, one damaging attack, weak steroids, and one CC removal, GP cannot top lane, cannot go bot (being melee) and doesn't have a fast or healthy enough clear time to jungle.

Conclusion: He is a very weak champion atm.

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark62 View Post
change his ultimate to physical with AD scaling?
What you do here is go get a blue elixir maybe have some AP from runes and masteries and then go kill baron. You now have the AP to significantly boost such a skill to the point it matters without any items

newbin

02-20-2013

Reworking his ult would would be nice. Honestly if you want to improve him give him back his old passive. The heal reduction was very nice I would use him to counter pick a lot because of that. You know what just rework that I propose.

Reworked passive: Gut shot ; 50% heal reduction, 15% slow and, a slight physical damage that scales with level that triggers on his melee hit animation that uses his pistol instead of sword. it's on every 3rd hit he does that I think. You can add that effect on Q as well and lower the base damage on the ability to compensate.

Kholdstare13

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbin View Post
Reworking his ult would would be nice. Honestly if you want to improve him give him back his old passive. The heal reduction was very nice I would use him to counter pick a lot because of that. You know waht just rework that I propose.

Reworked passive: Gut shot ; 50% heal reduction, 15% slow and, a slight physical damage that scales with level that triggers on his melee hit animation that uses his pistol instead of sword. it's on every 3rd hit he does that I think.
That's his crit animation, and it needs slight responsiveness tweaks. The hit doesn't come out quite as fast as his non-crit, making it a bit awkward and leading to an occasional accidental cancel.