English/Spanish - Auto Win Rate Increase

123456 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ROKAF JE

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ghast View Post
Sorry but this line in particular just pisses me off.
I see many, many monolingual English speakers complaining on the forums about their own inability to communicate

I do not believe it is the "mono-linguistic English speaker"s problem. This is in fact an English server and there IS a Spanish server. They choose not to use it. *HATE TO SAY IT* but there is a border for players, and that is language, a lot of people choose to cross this border when they probably should not.
(And communication is not the only problem. Do you enjoy extreme lag?)
Please point me in the direction of the Spanish server.
Many different countries use NA servers, just like we use all of the others.

----------------------------------------

@OP, I am adding this post to favorites. Cool post and good job.

ROKAF JE

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSavior View Post
Nice list. Where is the thread showing the Spanish speakers English words and terms? Oh wait, they shouldn't have to learn English. But hang on, why are English speakers expected to learn Spanish terms? That's right, if you only speak English, you are probably a jerk who hates other languages, so therefore you should learn Spanish.
Nobody said you're expected to.
Most of the Spanish speakers playing on NA servers do speak English.

How about, if you want to improve communication with others and grow as a person, learning less than basic Spanish might give you a leg up on the competition?

No need to be so harsh about this. It's a great post and it is appreciated that the OP took the time to do this for total strangers.

Wrekt

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKAF JE View Post
Please point me in the direction of the Spanish server.
Many different countries use NA servers, just like we use all of the others.

----------------------------------------

@OP, I am adding this post to favorites. Cool post and good job.
Click the down arrow next to PVP.net at the top of your page. Read.

Newclearhead

02-21-2013

Hi,

I like your initiative and I like to help you a little. I'm spanish speaker. My english isn't great but I understand a little and I can help you with some translations. Also I like to say that we don't translate everything to communicate. It's normal for spanish speakers to use deformations of the english words or just the english words as is.

Below, the original text with some corrections and anotations.

Greetings / Manners - Optional, but probably appreciated.
Hola - Hello.
Por favor - Please (incorporate this before or after other terms, especially requests)
Gracias - Thank you.
Lo siento - I'm sorry.
Ya voy - Coming!

Locations - Don't forget to ping to be more specific.
[El] rio / rio - river
[Las] hierbas - brush (ex. "Blitz esta en las hierbas." - Blitz is in the brush.)
[Las] hierbas - bush (ex. "Talon en las hierbas del rio!" - Talon in the riverbush!)

**Usually we ping in this case, pointing out what bush/brush are we talking about.**

Azul / Rojo - Blue / Red

Strategy
Ayuda. - Help. (ex. "Ayudame" - Help me; "Ayuda top" - Help top.)
Foco a (champion name here) - focus (ex. "Foco a Vayne"; "No le hagan foco a Nautilus") // In this case its normal to use the word focus instead of the spanish word.
Proteja - protect (ex. "Protejame"; "Proteja Malz")
Quiero - I want... (ex. "Quiero azul por favor" - I want blue please.) // In this case its normal to ask "can I have blue please?" - ¿Me dejas el azul por favor?
Ven - Come! (ex. "Ven aqui ahora por favor" - Come here now please.)
Farmea - farm (ex. "farmea top") // We don't use the translation of farm, we just use an adaptation of your word.
¡Vamos! - Let's go! (ex. "Vamos, Eve")
Torre - tower (try pinging the tower you want sieged/defended/pushed)

Possessive Pronouns - Whose blue? Whose jungle? Whose base?
mi - my
tu - your (ex. "Mao, agarra/coge el Azul." - Maokai, get your blue.)
su - their (also means "his" and "hers," but this isn't too relevant.)
nuestra - our (ex. "Twitch esta en nuestra jungla!" - Twitch is in our jungle!)

Prepositions - Use these to help make complete phrases
en - in, on
a - to (ex. Vamos a Baron)
de - of, from
con - with
sin - without

The word for minions is "súbditos"·

LogicalTautology

02-21-2013

Quote:
Sorry but this line in particular just pisses me off.
I see many, many monolingual English speakers complaining on the forums about their own inability to communicate

I do not believe it is the "mono-linguistic English speaker"s problem. This is in fact an English server and there IS a Spanish server. They choose not to use it. *HATE TO SAY IT* but there is a border for players, and that is language, a lot of people choose to cross this border when they probably should not.
(And communication is not the only problem. Do you enjoy extreme lag?)
What if I'm a Spanish-speaking person living in Mexico? Then this is the server in my continent, with the lowest ping? Are you suggesting I go play somewhere else?
What if I'm a French-speaking person living in Quebec, Canada?

Elsabet

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSavior View Post
Nice list. Where is the thread showing the Spanish speakers English words and terms? Oh wait, they shouldn't have to learn English..
1) Spanish speakers already use many English terms. Sometimes they use modified English words that are recognizable. All I'm suggesting is that you use an approximation of these Spanish terms. Humans have this cool thing called inference that helps with communication.

2) The translations work both ways............ obviously.............................

3) This thread is a reaction to all of the threads I have read in English- my only fluent language- of players whining and complaining about not being able to communicate, whilst making no effort whatsoever. Really, it is their problem at that point.

4) I would not be surprised if a Spanish-speaking player made a similar thread in response to non-English speakers complaining about English-speaking players being obstinate, rude, uncommunicating and beyond that, racist. You're asking me where that thread is.. have you looked for it yourself? I don't read Spanish well enough (yet) to look for it myself.

5) This is my contribution, particularly to help non-Spanish speakers who would otherwise be frustrated. Try not to tread on me for doing you a favor. Thanks.

Kvastier

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabet View Post
Added possessives in general, Arach. Thanks for the suggestion!

It'd be great for a native speaker to jump in and correct any major errors, which I hope I haven't made, and also clarify a couple of things:

What term do Spanish speakers tend to use for their creep score, or farm total? Similarly, what term do you use when referring to a creep wave that is in your lane (i.e. "Don't take my farm please.")

¿Cómo se dice "minion?" Esbirro? "No tome los esbirros en mi carril"? Estoy sólo adivinando. Gracias.
Yo can just say "no mates a mis creeps por favor" o "no me saques farm por favor"

Both mean the same.

ROKAF JE

02-21-2013

Quote:
Click the down arrow next to PVP.net at the top of your page. Read.
Signup takes you to the North American server (you can change it, though) - Mexicans and South Americans don't want to play on EU west, ping issues and such.
EU West is not a primarily Spanish speaking server.
Try again.

ChillxIGotThis

Recruiter

02-21-2013

Bump this awesome thread. Poop on the feeble minded d-bags that can't even try to learn another language. Thanks to the OP for even attempting to educate this jaded community.

t0ad5

02-21-2013

What does "Jaja" and "hue hue" mean?

123456 ... 12