English/Spanish - Auto Win Rate Increase

1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsabet

02-20-2013

I see many, many English speakers complaining on the forums about their own inability to communicate with Spanish speakers on the NA server. Whether you feel that we'd be better off with a separate server, or a language-designation feature for matchmaking, or leaving the system as it is, you have no choice but to deal with it until if/when a change is made. There may always be Spanish and English speakers who do not speak each others' language playing on their same home server. Being able to communicate with teammates improves a player's win rate. It's just that simple.

To help with that, I thought I'd make a thread with helpful, basic translations for players to refer to. Thanks very much for supportive responses, particularly fluent Spanish speakers' help. [I will be trying to keep this succinct as it is meant as a tool, rather than a comprehensive language lesson. As such, I won't necessarily include every suggestion. It'd be great to have 200 terms here, but it would be overwhelming and disincentivizing too.] Here we go:

Greetings / Manners - Optional, but probably appreciated.
Hola - Hello.
Por favor - Please (Incorporate this before or after other terms, especially requests.)
Gracias - Thank you.
Lo siento - I'm sorry.
Ya voy - Coming!

Locations - Don't forget to ping to be more specific.
[El] rio / rio - river
Hierbas, arbusto - brush/bush (ex. "Talon en las hierbas del rio!" - Talon in the riverbush!)
Azul / Rojo - Blue / Red

Strategy - Adding "no" in front of anything does just what you think.
Ayuda. - Help. (ex. "Ayudame" - Help me; "Ayuda top" - Help top.)
Cura - Heal (ex. "Curame" - Heal me.)
Proteja - Protect (ex. "Protejame" - Protect me; "Proteja Malz")
Quiero - I want... (ex. "Quiero azul" - I want blue; "¿Me dejas el azul por favor?" - Can I have blue please?)
Apunta a - Aim for (ex. "Apunta a Vayne"; "No le hagan apunta a Nautilus")
Farmea - Farm (ex. "Farmea top."; This is actually an adaptation of the English term.)
Vamos! - Let's go! (ex. "Vamos, Eve")
Ven - Come! (ex. "Ven aqui ahora por favor" - Come here now please.)
Regresa aqui - Come back [here].
Quedate aguas - Stay back.
Cuidado! - Careful!
torre - tower (Try pinging the tower you want sieged/defended/pushed)
minions - súbditos (The term "creeps" is apparently quite universal though.)

Possessive Pronouns - Whose blue? Whose jungle? Whose base?
mi - my ("No mates a mis creeps por favor" - Don't kill my creeps please.)
tu - your (ex. "Mao, coge tu Azul." - Maokai, get your blue.)
su - their (Also means "his" and "hers," but this isn't too relevant.)
nuestra - our (ex. "Twitch esta en nuestra selva!" - Twitch is in our jungle!)

Prepositions - Use these to help make complete phrases
en - in, on
a - to (ex. Vamos a Baron - Go to Baron)
de - of, from
con - with
sin - without

Using these terms, especially in conjunction with universally used terms (e.g. gank, ward, lane names, champ names, objectives) should be sufficient for most information you ever want to share with teammates.

No more excuses, summoners!

xXSirCrashXx

02-20-2013

This will be helpful to the ones who had not the slightest idea what was going on. I knew some of the words, but thx for the post. (stupid U key is sticking D

Loadedup

02-20-2013

Good post. People should get familiar with these if they aren't already. If your teammate can't understand you, it at least helps if you can understand them.

Shamanb

02-20-2013

probably won't work imo. Those who complain against ppl speaking other language are usually stubborn ppl who don't WANT to understand, in my experience.

Arachnelis

02-20-2013

Thank you!

just a bit more though.

How do you add possessive to the words you have above. "my" farm "your" blue/red "our" jungle?

Elsabet

02-20-2013

Added possessives in general, Arach. Thanks for the suggestion!

It'd be great for a native speaker to jump in and correct any major errors, which I hope I haven't made, and also clarify a couple of things:

What term do Spanish speakers tend to use for their creep score, or farm total? Similarly, what term do you use when referring to a creep wave that is in your lane (i.e. "Don't take my farm please.")

¿Cómo se dice "minion?" Esbirro? "No tome los esbirros en mi carril"? Estoy sólo adivinando. Gracias.

angryWelchMan

02-20-2013

Thanks (also just cause we don't speak Spanish don't assume we're monolingual, we just haven't picked up that language)

Elsabet

02-20-2013

^ Fair. Didn't mean to be presumptive; just misspoke. That said, most complaints about Spanish speakers tend to be of the "I speak the one and only true language of America- American" variety though. Obviously not every non-Spanish speaker on NA is monolingual English-speaking, but most who complain probably are.

OhSavior

02-20-2013

Nice list. Where is the thread showing the Spanish speakers English words and terms? Oh wait, they shouldn't have to learn English. But hang on, why are English speakers expected to learn Spanish terms? That's right, if you only speak English, you are probably a jerk who hates other languages, so therefore you should learn Spanish.

Wrekt

02-20-2013

Sorry but this line in particular just pisses me off.
I see many, many monolingual English speakers complaining on the forums about their own inability to communicate

I do not believe it is the "mono-linguistic English speaker"s problem. This is in fact an English server and there IS a Spanish server. They choose not to use it. *HATE TO SAY IT* but there is a border for players, and that is language, a lot of people choose to cross this border when they probably should not.
(And communication is not the only problem. Do you enjoy extreme lag?)

1234511 ... 12