Meanwhile in Australia

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Close Game Life

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethminite View Post
Except most of the complaints are that Dota 2 and Hon both do?
Dota2 runs off steam, valve already had servers down at Australia. Easier to expand business than start a new one, same goes with EA. Dunno about Hon but are we supposed to care about that?

Aavak

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acromonious View Post
Doesn't change the fact that I'm sure EA Games Australia didn't pop-up over night.
Nor will League of Legends AU. However, on the dedicated thread on the matter a red post has been made implying that Riot has some desire to open up a server in Australia.

EDIT: Here's the quote from Target1 Director of Operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target1 View Post
Sorry, my account was not properly flagged, it is now. I can assure you once we have a solid date for launching any new region it will get announced and you can expect us to deliver.

The simple fact is we do not yet have a date for when this will happen, but there are many of us here interested in seeing the experience being improved there. We hear your pleas.

target1...

Akaneiro

02-19-2013

Tribes: Ascend also had Australian servers. You can add Hi-Rez Games to the list.

Hotdogs

02-19-2013

dota 2 has an australian server

OneLazyNinja

02-19-2013

Mate, get ****ed

Regards,
-Australia

Veraw

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close Game Life View Post
you know whats funnier?

Korea is geographically closer to Aust/NZ than USA.

But you get ~320 ping to the most networked country on the planet, while an indirect roundabout to US give you ~200

Internet down here sucks **** indeed
I'm not sure who told me this, but apparently ISP reroute all information towards USA, including traffic bound to Asia, meaning your information has to go to USA then to Asia first. This was done because of the majority of information that would be accessed would be from USA and this actually improves speed within the internet.

Akaneiro

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLazyNinja View Post
Mate, get ****ed

Regards,
-Australia
With love from New Zealand, too.

aaron216

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalera View Post
Tribes: Ascend also had Australian servers. You can add Hi-Rez Games to the list.
So does Blacklight Retribution. Add Perfect World Entertainment to the list.

So your sick of the way Australians "whine" about wanting a server to match up to 20 ping Americans?

Just look at the way you're acting...Loser.

Lethminite

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acromonious View Post
That's actually a good point... Now that I think about it, Blacklight Retribution had one as well :|
So Valve, Perfect World, and S2 Games all have servers located in or around the Australian Region. I will admit my error, but for 3 out of every other company that hosts an online game, those are still pretty bad odds...

Doesn't change the fact that I'm sure EA Games Australia didn't pop-up over night.
But not all games are as ping reliant.
WoW for example only really feels the 300-500 ms in pvp and in some encounters with particually punishing "fires", for most solo play and dungeons, the game isn't fast enough paced to matter.

I'm not an expert on FPS's, since i don't play them, but i'd assume a large % of FPS's have an australian server because you simply can't play multiplayer without it.

MOBA's are the same, not quite as bad as FPS's, but playing around our ping is something every australian has to do, there are champions we just can't play optimally, and combo's we just can't pull off effectivily.
It's definately playable, but it's also very frustrating, especially when you get american's who arn't understanding at all and just wont stop harrasing you over being unable to dodge blitz's grab, or nid's spears very well.

I bet if you look at only online games that are also very dependant on ping you'd find a lot more game's that have servers in australia, and a lot higher %.

here's a list of servers i found in australia.
http://games.on.net/servers/

WateryMind

02-19-2013

Yo dawg.

There's this game called Super Monday Night Combat.

Around 2000 people are playing ti at any one time.

That has Aussie servers.

So does HoN, an effectively dead game. So does Dota 2.