A way to try out any champion at any time without PBE?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zer0blizzard

Senior Member

02-19-2013

How about a 450 IP/260 RP trying fee that allows you to play with any champion for 1 day w/ a usage limit per champion (of say 3 times per champion?)?

UPVOTE THIS POST IF YOU LIKE IT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jester82

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-19-2013

Thats what the free to play champ is for and its a bit against their business model.
I ask my friends sometimes for their account to try out champ I dont own that I would like to try.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zer0blizzard

Senior Member

02-26-2013

YOU IMPLY THAT YOU WANT A RESPONSE AND YOU JUST MIGHT GET A GIANT ESSAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester82 View Post
Thats what the free to play champ is for and its a bit against their business model.
I ask my friends sometimes for their account to try out champ I dont own that I would like to try.
There are ~105 total champions out there and every single week they have 1-2 450 IP champions. Getting 450 IP takes a first win of the day (beg bot included) and 5 normal losses, tops. That can be done easily in 6 hours of gameplay in one day, or more likely, two days (one game per day) worth of first wins on normals.

There are 10 free champions per week, but because they stick to the model of
1-2 450 IP champions
2-3 1350 IP champions
2-3 3150/4800 IP champions
2-3 6300 IP champions

they end up repeating a lot of the 450+1350 champions (because they are so few, relatively speaking), the "good" champions that are 3150-6300 are the ones that people actually want to try out, but they have to wait, on average, 3-4 MONTHS to have their champion show up for free week. There's a 4-6 month wait on average for a champion to go on RP sale.

Also, what you're doing (using another person's account) is fraud, which is against the summoner's code and therefore punishable by a permaban and possible legal action. How likely is that? Almost 0%, but it's still wrong.

As for the "against their business model" argument, you don't know jack squat about supply and demand. Considering that the actual supply is practically infinite for the existing base of champions, the only issue is the "effective" supply; how easy it is for players to get champions/skins/whatever. The demand then changes accordingly.

For example: I don't get why Riot gets rid of legacy skins availability for non-professional play most of the time (they have seasonal deals), but apparently (hopefully, rather) some accountant at Riot did the math and figured out that building up hype caused people to spend more money on a temporary item than the normal amount of money that would be spent if the legacy skins were available for purchase at all times.

Some further questions for the "against their business model" argument:
Why bother having champion IP price reductions with every new champion released?
Why bother having different price points for champions, considering that every champion is "supposed" to be balanced? ESPECIALLY ON NEW RELEASES WITH THE NEW 7800 IP PRICE POINT
Why bother having IP costs? Why not make the game entirely RP purchase based?
Why keep RP prices (price to buy RP) static? Why not change them from day to day (or whatever)?
Why not sell completely broken champions? Simply by picking this champion in champion select wins the match before you go into the ingame client.
Why bother spending money on PBE-only servers?
Why have prize pools sponsored by Riot for winning the world championship?
Why bother spending money on feedback forums?
Why bother spending money on making champion spotlight videos/community response videos, etc?
Why bother wasting company time answering community questions?
Why bother allowing people to use your copyright protected intellectual property on countless internet postings without sueing those people?

The long and short answers to all of these questions (and more) is hopefully:
The freemium model is more profitable than any other model.
Riot's accountants have done the math and determined that all of these different price changes/decisions are overall more profitable than any other idea (which I seriously doubt in some cases, like this thread's idea).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasterMojo21

Junior Member

02-26-2013

Zer0, I hope that you were not a business major.
The basic principal behind a free to play game is just that, a FREE to play game. Now the argument is completely valid that they have 10 free to play champions per week. If I myself want to try out a champion for the most part I have to wait or spend IP or RP depending on what I have to take a blind leap and buy a champion.
Now let me direct your attention to a game entitled Blacklight Retribution. It is a free to play first person shooter for the PC. Why do I bring this up? Because Blacklight has a rental system in which you may use the in game currency that you receive simply by playing games to rent an attachment or even a weapon to see if you like it. Now a good portion of people who like the item that they rent do eventually buy it, whether they use in game currency or real money. This game so far has been very successful and shoes promise at surviving a long time under this F2P model.
The simple fact with League is that it is, by what it currently does, a pay to win game. If a person does not care how much money they spend on the game they are going to have many more champions than the person who has a limit. That is and indisputable fact. The idea of renting items or champions in a F2P game is not foreign and has proven to be very successful for games that do it. I won't argue that the accountants are right in saying that in the short term the model you posted works well but in the long run the game would survive longer in the non-pro realm with a little more freedom for those who don't have money coming from every orifice.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hashpoo

Recruiter

02-26-2013

Well, I'll stay on topic unlike other posters....This thread is for people wanting to see a system where you can try out a champion before you buy it without the PBE. Not about how riot makes money in a free to play environment.

I too have pondered on what methods Riot could allow for people to give a trial run of a champion to determine if they like them enough to buy them. There are several ways this could work. Just to list a few...

You could rent with IP or RP for a temporary number of games or a set time limit you have to test the champion.

You could be given tokens over a period of time. Lets say 3 tokens every month, never exceeding 5 tokens total for an example. Where you could test out a champion as said above, for a set period of time or a set number of games. You could also earn tokens after meeting a quota. Maybe after so many games played or so many wins achieved. The possibilities of getting said 'tokens' can be endless.

Now for a system like this to be fair in the sense of abuse. I would recommend it be under special circumstances. So when you are 'trialing' a champion it can only be in Custom games or only AI games. Where you wouldn't gain any kind of advantage by testing this champion out during a ranked match etc. Also I believe while testing you should not gain IP while using that particular champion.

And I favor the trial period be based on a set number of games. If I have lets say, 6 hours to trial a champion. I'm going to solely play that champion and no other because I want to get my worth out of it. If I have lets say, 3 games to play with it. I'll play it when I want to test/practice with it without the pressure. But I also suggest an ultimate time limit. Something along the lines of, if you have gone said amount of days without using your three matches up, you lose them. So maybe you have a week to play 3 games with that champion. So you can't indefinitely have access to that champion.

No one goes to the car lot and points to a car and says " I saw my friend driving that car, I want it! " Without test driving it first. Maybe they'll find out that it really wasn't what they thought it was. I know my self I've dumped countless amounts of money into 'the big bad new champion!' and found out it did not fit my play style and have left them on the shelf ever since.

And yes, the new champion becomes free the week after their release. But that requires you to be an active player all the time in order to test champions out. What if you take a break? Or things like school or work do not permit you from playing for months at a time? So when you get back you missed out on your chance to test them when they were in champ free week.

Riot wouldn't be losing any money on an idea like this. I don't think they would gain any money either. As previously mentioned, people buy things and don't like what they end up with. They would just be creating a happier base of customers.

Keep in mind all I have said is flexible. I've only given ideas that are open to criticism and I encourage others to build from my ideas into better solutions to this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mynx The Origin

Senior Member

02-27-2013

Quote:
Also, what you're doing (using another person's account) is fraud, which is against the summoner's code and therefore punishable by a permaban and possible legal action. How likely is that? Almost 0%, but it's still wrong.
It can be considered fraud, but most people using a friend's/sibling's/etc.('s) account usually say so themselves before or during the game. Even then, them having access to the account implies they were given permission (legal or otherwise) to use it. In stating that it's punishable by law is potentially stating that said person using the account had stolen it. I'm pretty sure I didn't steal my bro's account all the times he had me use it when he wanted to get something in-game while he was elsewhere. It's not like we're using their accounts and using their IP and RP to purchase things we want, because there wouldn't any actual gain unless we have constant free access to the account in question. Not only that, I state in every game I've played, alongside the reason why I am the one using his account, that It is not my account. I've also seen many other players do the same and similar acts themselves, though I can't vouch for other games they were in.

What I'm saying is, as far I know, when fraud is involved or mentioned, it usually implies malicious identity theft. But I'm seventeen, what would I know?

To sum up what I said though, using someone else's account in that manner is more often like a loan. We get to use what they have and we want, but in exchange, we help them progress further by getting them more currency in-game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zer0blizzard

Senior Member

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMojo21 View Post
Zer0, I hope that you were not a business major.
Oooh, a personal insult. Aren't you scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMojo21 View Post
The simple fact with League is that it is, by what it currently does, a pay to win game. If a person does not care how much money they spend on the game they are going to have many more champions than the person who has a limit. That is and indisputable fact.
Just because you say a fact is indisputable does not actually make it so. Your opinion is just as valid as mine or any other's; the fact that we do not have access to purchasing trends from Riot means that no one can say with factual certainty that League is OR isn't a pay to win game (ie, do people that pay more ALWAYS win more? or are they just ridiculously more likely to?).


Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMojo21 View Post
The idea of renting items or champions in a F2P game is not foreign and has proven to be very successful for games that do it. I won't argue that the accountants are right in saying that in the short term the model you posted works well but in the long run the game would survive longer in the non-pro realm with a little more freedom for those who don't have money coming from every orifice.
LOL is a freemium model game, not exactly a free to play game. Free to play may mean that it is possible to "play" the game for free, but freemium is a better term because it describes everything free to play does, but clearly indicates that there's a paid element to access special features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashpoo View Post

And yes, the new champion becomes free the week after their release. But that requires you to be an active player all the time in order to test champions out. What if you take a break? Or things like school or work do not permit you from playing for months at a time? So when you get back you missed out on your chance to test them when they were in champ free week.

Riot wouldn't be losing any money on an idea like this. I don't think they would gain any money either. As previously mentioned, people buy things and don't like what they end up with. They would just be creating a happier base of customers.

Keep in mind all I have said is flexible. I've only given ideas that are open to criticism and I encourage others to build from my ideas into better solutions to this.
Thanks for staying on topic. I like your token idea, but I still like my idea IN ADDITION (or something) to your idea. If I had to pick only one idea, I'd still pick mine.

If you stop playing LOL for months, either you don't like LOL very much, are an extremely casual gamer, or you're busy fighting a war overseas or something else that prevents 2+ hours of computer+internet downtime per day/week. IMO, if you don't play LOL at least every two weeks (every week since you've starting playing), you aren't really a LOL player. MonthS (2+ months) seems like a REALLY long time to not be playing LOL.

The one real issue that I'd like to discuss is about the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashpoo View Post
Riot wouldn't be losing any money on an idea like this. I don't think they would gain any money either. As previously mentioned, people buy things and don't like what they end up with. They would just be creating a happier base of customers.
LOL makes money whenever people buy RP (as their only source of income as far as I know, feel free to point out other revenue sources). I'm willing to bet money (oh, irony) that RP is purchased more when people want things that can only be unlocked with RP or they don't have enough IP.

Writing this caused me to realize that such a renting system could be relatively abused (if you repeatedly rented a champion, unless Riot doesn't care and wants to eat up as much IP as possible). I have since changed the original post to reflect the limit to the number of rents per champion idea.

Anyway, back to the lack of IP problem: the less IP a player has, the more likely they are to use RP for things that are IP purchasable (but IP expensive). Hence, renting allows people to spend relatively little IP to test champions so they can then RP buy them with knowledge or save up for IP, in which case, nothing really changes, but people know more about the champions overall.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mynx The Origin

Senior Member

03-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0blizzard View Post
How about a 450 IP/260 RP trying fee that allows you to play with any champion for 1 day w/ a usage limit per champion (of say 3 times per champion?)?
There could also be a limit on rents per champion and game mode restrictions. Otherwise, this could help prevent players from potentially wasting their points.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Discotehk

Junior Member

03-03-2013

The simplest method would probably be to let players choose 1 champion per week they want to play for the free week, in addition to the rotation, and then lock the champion from being selected as the player trial choice again for 3 weeks or so.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zer0blizzard

Senior Member

03-06-2013

Remember to upvote the original post, please.


12