Barrier to ranked needs to be increased.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuiet4

02-19-2013

Getting to level 30 and owning a certain number of champions is simply not enough to qualify people to play ranked matches. New players should have to meet a set of requirements that prove they have a solid grasp on game mechanics and can play well with a team. No one likes joining a ranked que at starting elo and getting stuck with players who are completely clueless because they leveled to 30 playing bots or gained exp losing game after game in normals.

Something along the lines of this needs to be implemented......

When a player decides that he/she wants to challenge themselves in competitive rank matches they should needed to obtain 50 wins in a qualifying ranked que and also collect 100 honor points for being a good team mate. This que should be seperate from the current ranked matches and have no elo or league points associated with it.

The time frame in which the player accumulates these wins and honor points could take a week or 6 months but at the end of it would definitely have a better grasp on what is needed to be viable in competitive play. No longer would decent low elo players be stuck with players who obviously have no business ever queing for a ranked match in the first place. Players who consistently verbally abuse their team, arent mechanically sound or do not understand how roles are played will be stuck in this starter que. Those who know enough to play ranked will have actual ranked ques unlocked.

Any thoughts?

unhai

02-19-2013

i think in order to play a champ in ranked you must be deemed "proficient" with that champion

proficiency should be determined by playing i think at least 10 games with that champ in solo que normals if a player does this with 15 champions he should be allowed to play ranked.

Irish Red Cap

02-19-2013

Ranked needs to have a set limit of games played before you can join. I still agree with the concept of 500 total games played in normals. Teams don't need to have a limit cause it's up to your to determine how well your teammates do.

However in solo queue I hate being paired with someone who has 60 ranked games and only 250 normals games and got to 30 by purchasing xp boost just to think they can play on a competitive level.

I don't think I'm the best but I've learned what roles I'm proficient in and what roles I do poorly in. However, that has taken me nearly 4.5k normal games and over 600 games in ranked throughout season 1-3. I admit in s1 when i was still a new player I was horrible. Season 2 I waited till i broke 1k wins in normals to play and my elo sat consistently at 1450-1600. In season 3 I've shied away from ranked because of the horrible match making, aka the reason i only have 169 games played this season.

Cavo

02-19-2013

Some people want the chance to compete at the lower levels of competitive play without having invested that much time into the game. There's nothing wrong with that. I've seen the worst bronze 5 players imaginable with 2000 normal wins and there are diamond players with 200 or so. What everyone in Bronze and Silver needs to do is stop thinking up new and creative ways to make ranked easier for themselves, and instead just focus on getting better. It's really that simple.

Kuiet4

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavo View Post
What everyone in Bronze and Silver needs to do is stop thinking up new and creative ways to make ranked easier for themselves, and instead just focus on getting better. It's really that simple.
No, everyone who gets lucky and gets past the thousands of trolls that make it impossible to win need to stop saying that everyone can just "carry" themselves to higher elo if they are any sort of good, There are plenty of people stuck in bronze and silver that play with friends in higher tiers and do fine or can even carry games at that elo. Yet when they que up solo they get trolled to death to the point the game is no longer fun.

Yes if your in the challenger league you are probably good enough to make up for most trolls but there are plenty of silver or bronze players that are at least skilled enough to hold their own in gold if they didn't get raped by afkers, 10 win players and rage feeders every day. There are some people that need and deserve to be in bronze 5 because they have no teamwork, suck at game mechanics and are generally clueless when it comes to map awareness and the current system is fine for those people. The 30% of people that don't belong in that elo are generally speaking stuck there unless they get a rediculous streak of teams who aren't completely ignorant and do their best to win a ranked game.

Think about it, how can a player who belongs in lvl 5 bronze actually reach that low of an elo without bringing down the players in the game with them? They can't and an argument otherwise is just plain dumb.

Cavo

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiet4 View Post
No, everyone who gets lucky and gets past the thousands of trolls that make it impossible to win need to stop saying that everyone can just "carry" themselves to higher elo if they are any sort of good.
So basically, everyone in silver, gold, platinum, and diamond is just lucky. You are clearly way better than all of us, just no one is good enough to understand how truly brilliant your play really is. Yeah, that makes sense.

Kuiet4

02-19-2013

Or you could read what was actually typed instead of getting defensive and further making yourself look like a moron.

"The 30% of people that don't belong in that elo are generally speaking stuck there unless they get a rediculous streak of teams who aren't completely ignorant and do their best to win a ranked game."

See the 30 followed by the percentage sign that looks like >%<.???

Did you see it?

Did you?

Irish Red Cap

02-19-2013

Gold-Platinum-Diamond. The players in these tiers play at a consistent level and have a common basic understanding of the game. There are trolls yes, but the % of trolls is very low compared to bronze-silver.

In gold and above the odds of you getting 2 teams that can play effectively and make the game close; aka. the game isn't decided within the first 10 minutes, is very high. It becomes a skill vs skill contest as the game should be.

In silver you have a higher % of getting trolls and the odds that the game will turn sour within 10 mins is substantially high. Most silver players feel disregarded by riot and the new system and feel they deserve a better tier/division. While for maybe 20-25% of the players this could be true. the other 75-80% really belong in silver but with ELO it was easier to determine your actual level without feeling demeaned.

In bronze, it's sickening. I've watched a bronze 5 game and the skill of play that goes on is like watching bots vs bots. It's almost disgusting how some of the players think they are good and yet the mechanics of the game are almost completely backwards to their play style. For the 1% who were trolled during placement matches and are stuck in bronze, yes some bronze teams will let you carry them and you can take advantage of the enemies throws but it's hard to consistently put 4 people on your back and tredge your way through that murky **** hole called bronze.

Cavo

02-19-2013

The tier system only works because a certain # of players can make it to each level. It's not a set number that gets capped out, it's more a % (see, i found it). You might think you deserve to be promoted, but you haven't done anything that shows consistent play worthy of a higher tier. Good people get promoted because they know how to play the game consistently, going 12-3 one game and thinking you're gods gift to bronze 4, and then going 1-9 the next game and thinking all the 'baddies' are holding you back, is not exactly consistent, higher level play.

Let us use, for example, your match history. I will ignore games in which your KD are within 2 of each other because that's pretty close to even and isn;t really carrying or being carried. I see a 1-4 sona, not great but not bad. It's followed by a 14-4-16 sion. Pretty nice. Followed by a 3-6 sion, not a great game, it happens. Then we have a 7-2 lux, not bad at all. Followed by a 2-8 zyra, that's kinda iffy. Then we have another positive lux at 4-1, finally a nunu wrapping up with 2-9. You will notice the inconsistent play. One game is good, next game is bad. This is why you aren't being promoted. Looking at a larger picture of your stats, your overall KD after 350+ ranked games this season is 4.7/6. Why do you feel such a need to be promoted? If you're not ready to play against the higher tier summoners, getting promoted is only going to make this game worse for you. You have to polish your skills against similarly ranked people until you can consistently beat them all before moving on to the next tier. It will take time, but if you work at it, it will happen.

Kuiet4

02-20-2013

Every one one of those games you just mentioned was me playing support. Support lux, support sion, support sona, support nunu, support zyra. Those games were played with a friend that mains adc and I got him fed in 9/10 games. Most of the time I was even fed myself as support because we won lane so hard.

I main jungle and mid and between this season and last and have close to 2000 ranked games played. I'm not some ****** who thinks hes better then he is. I have played enough to know this system is broken. I know how to carry a team of bad players when I'm in a role to do so but others who play at this elo know how to make sure you lose no matter how hard you try. When I'm mid I win lane, roam, help out other lanes, get them fed, steal objectives, try to organize team fights and give directions on what should be done next. It does not work when your team is hell bent on losing though. You cannot make up for 4 other players who cant beat the first level of super mario much less do well in a ranked League game.

I will give you examples from the last few days if you still want to argue however.

Two nights ago the first match we went 17/2 in lane and proceeded to team fights. Our xin jungle (who ganked twice all laning phase) went 2/11 and was just plain awful. In team fights he would just stand behind the fight watching us 4v5 every single time. He would only go in after the other team won the fight and then proceed to try to chase down one of their low health players for a kill as they backed away. This did not happen once or twice but 5-6 team fights in a row. He would just never engage anyone until the team fight was over. Just sat right next to us and watched while never typing one word the entire game. No one on the team was verbally abusing this kid and were trying to explain to him what he needed to do so that we had a chance of winning. Still didn't speak and we lost due to not being able to overcome their tanks in 4v5 group fights.

Second game friend plays top, I'm supporting a sivir. Friend goes 9/3 as lee top. Sivir is afk in base til minute 7. She comes back and says "sorry, had to walk my dog". I said fine, just don't feed and we'll get back in this. She proceeds to run down lane lvl 1 and attack the opposing bottom duo who are 8 levels ahead of her. She dies and runs back into our bottom bush and goes afk again. She dies in the bush. At this point I ask her to just sit at the turret and farm. She comes back and afk's at the turret while I am trying to defend a push. The other team knows shes going afk in lane at this point and tells their team to come bottom for free kills. They do.... game over.

Third game I'm sick of losing to trolls at this point, friend plays top, i play mid, we win both our lanes, both roam and generally destroy their team. Were up 5 turrets to 0 with a a 15 kill lead. Our bottom duo isnt doing well however so we ask them to group up and stop pushing bottom alone over and over. They tell us to f*ck off and that they don't need directions. We said "fine, lets push bottom and win with them then". We go bottom, group fight starts, they act like they are going in with us, stop before they engage and just watch us die 3v5 then type "haha **sholes eat a *ick" and afk for the rest of the match. We lose.

Fourth game I'm qued solo. First pick is akali top, second pick shaco jungle, I pick zyra mid and ask that the support plays a tank. because were lacking one. He tells me he doesn't own a tank support and picks sona. The other team picks 3 bruisers and cho mid and absolutely destroys us in team fights. Akali built 100% ap, no health, no resists. Shaco goes 100% ad, no health no resists. Sona builds full ap, doesn't ward and runs up to their team to ult them every time they group to push us.

At this point I get dropped down another league and the games just get worse and worse. I don't care if your name is Chaox, you are not carrying these trolls out of bronze once you get that low. It is not happening. Like I said previously, if you don't get lucky with team mates in bronze and silver you will be bronze 5 indefinitely. Ranked matches should not be based on luck.

Cavo you can keep blurting out your moronic point of view all you want. I occasionally duo with friends in gold and plat and carry in those games without much trouble. This is a team game and 1 person is not making up for the poor play of 4 others who have no business in ranked matches. This thread was not to debate whether or not I should be in a higher tier but to demonstrate that a large enough percentage of players are getting stuck in lower tiers that do not belong there. The league system is not working and it makes competitive play pointless for those people.

You say that people who are in this situation would lose more at higher elo when it is the exact opposite. Decent players stuck in bronze would win far more games in gold then they would in bronze or silver with ****ty team mates. You should really just stop replying to this thread all together since you have no clue what your talking about.