instead of a nerf lets teach the community how to deal with Darius.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Papersuit

02-19-2013

So recently i have been seeing a whole slew of "Darius Op nerf, nerf, nerf " threads and this is fine, because I feel that we forget that'[LEFT][CENTER][LEFT][/LEFT][/CENTER][/LEFT]s what the Champion feedback forum is for. however there is very little explanation as to why he's broken. I have mained Darius from his inception and found him to be the first top laner that I have absolutely loved, he is very strong, his bleed is great, and he can deal "tons of damage". He does however have a lot of drawbacks and as such I would like to be part of the solution in showing other players how to deal with and exploit these weaknesses so as to make a better game experience

Lets start with his abilities. Since I don't want to make this a needlessly long thread , I will just explain how they they can be countered.

Passive-Hemorrage. this is more of a scary lane passive, if not careful you will find your self easily killed, also something that many players forget is that Darius gains movement speed for every champ with a bleed counter on them, if you have bleeds on you back up heal some and wait

Decimate- the best way to deal with this ability is by understanding its range. its about the same as Jax's counter strike. decimate can deal a geat deal in the laning phase combined with the bleed to devastating effect, but with its low cool down a Darius player will find that if he doesn't land it he will be running out of mana very quickly. Gauging the range as well as predicting when Darius players will use it (anytime you are close and are trying to get farm) will allow you to cause Darius to not only push the lane,but also set him up for a gank, and cause him to waste mana needlessly. also remember that Decimate deals less damage if you are hit by the handle then the blade so run toward him at first not away.
In team fights the worst place you can fight Darius is in the jungle, he will use decimate to hit as many opponents as possible (remember this boost his movement) so that he can skirt around and hit more people. I recommend forcing team fights in lane, push a tower forcing the team to come out of the wood works, and always remember to ward as well.

Crippling strike- not as good as people think I max it last because I don't like it as much, but it has a place. the slow is great for stacking bleeds because not only do you get slower, but Darius gets faster,this is a big deal because it's a surprise steroid that people forget about.

Apprehend- this is the scary first part of Darius's kit if he hooks you with this there will be pain. The best way I have found and seen players deal with this is to stay far enough away or get him to use it then harass. It has about a 12 second cool down so he can use it, but if Darius misses, you have a free chance to poke him. A good side note to bring up apprehend does give Darius bonus armor pen. This is a scary thought, when seeing heavy ad Darius as it helps him deal more damage.

Noxian Guillotine- ohhhh here it is the cheese of all cheese. alright I am going to rant a little so if you don't like that skip ahead. I have seen too many Darius players using their ultimate's to deal tons of damage, but not the killing blow. Players need to understand the true damage is not what makes Darius ultimate amazing, its the fact that, if used properly it never has a F***ing cool down. No cool down, zero, nada, nothing, you can continue to use it as much as you want. Imagine a Garen ultimate with no cool down, I mean really just sit and think about it for a second, how amazing would that be. Unfortunately ( or fortunately for some people) I see too many Darius players who use their "dunks" to just deal damage and not a killing blow. I know what your thinking " well with its short cool down it will be up when you get back to lane" yeah it might, but you know whats better than a 70- 120 second cool down? No cool down at all!! And a whole hell of a lot of good a 70 second cool down is going to do you when you are in a team fight.

Ok rants over you can continue trying not to fall asleep.

So his Noxian Guillotine. this is a powerful ultimate not going to lie, but if has weaknesses that, if used properly can spell doom for a Darius. Darius is an all out Champ, a player is required to throw every thing at their opponent otherwise Darius gets to sit there and look pretty for a while. the key with the Guillotine is the bleed stacks. Remember that it deals more damage based on how many stack are on you if you run away and heal from the bleeds, he will have to bleed you all over again to get the full effect other wise you have a chance of surviving and counter attacking, or the ultimate ( which is Darius signature move) will be on cool down

Ok so let me going over some Champs I feel counter Darius in lane and/or in Team fights.

Kayle-Not only can she poke Darius effectively, her ultimate will make his ultimate go on cool down and I believe it has a shorter cool down then his allowing you to have it any time

Pantheon- his harass with his spear and stun can cause a lot of frustration, and most times can force a Darius player out of lane

Gangplank- same as Panth but with his Parrrrrrley. also his heal is a great way to relieve the bleed damage

Malphite- His shield helps against the bleed also a slow helps in escaping.

Mordekiaser- shield = ulti on cool down

Nidalee- spear, then spear some more, dodge Q, spear, auto attack, Dead

Olaf- I haven't played against an Olaf since the recent changes, but his kit is designed in such a way that it counteracts most of Darius abilities, got bleed? get life steal. Got slowed? Pop ulti, Darius tries to 1v1 you? take a big dump on him, most times you will win, your harass is better as well (as long as you land your under tow). Little caveat though, while Olaf is strongest at low life, this is also where Darius can shine be careful about how you deal with him, as engaging Darius is a fight to the death.

Riven- her shield works wonders at mitigating bleeds and her dash allows her to clear some ground and really catch a Darius off guard.

Rumble- good shield, decent poke, in lane poke him till he runs at you in a frenzied rage.... then spam laugh

Singed- My favorite. I recommend just running around spamming laugh and poison trail and throwing him behind you as an escape.also late game Singed just doesn't care about Darius

Teemo......kinda- this is one that requires finesse. On one hand Teemo irritates any melee top lane, on the other hand hes squishy so if you let Darius get any sort of farm, there will be repercussions. by lv 6 most games I have been able to grab Teemo and make him either stay away from me. or have out right killed him.

Tryndamere- huehuehuehue...... ultimate . when Darius goes balls out Ultimate if he's dumb you will get a Noxian Guillotine on cool down. if not its okay just bide you time

Wukong- this is a tricky one, but mostly I put this one here because of the Decoy. I have forced a Darius player to ulti the clone ..... and that's funny. also Wukong's armor shred is good for all out 1v1.

Vladimir-Do I need to explain this one? You poke and punish till Darius goes home then you free farm. Another caveat, Darius bleed will continue to effect you in your pool. so try to use it sparingly, as you will already be taking a large amount of health drain

At the end of the day Darius is a powerful champ, but that doesn't mean he's broken. I have seen too many champions nerfed into the ground, not because they were too powerful, but because they received so much hate from a community that didn't quite know how to handle them. I am hoping that this post will help players learn to deal with Darius in a way that makes the game more fun , and less rage filled. if you have any suggestions as to other ways to counter Darius post them and we can teach the community how to be a better player

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-19-2013

no, you can't teach them, all you can do is make people like me who actually give a **** about strategy even better at the game. Baddies will be baddies and the curious will be better than they were yesterday. (thats right, this phrase reminds you of all that life you wasted watching naruto fillers!)

Papersuit

02-19-2013

Well i can't say I didn't try and If I helped one player than I am happy

Vencu

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
no, you can't teach them, all you can do is make people like me who actually give a **** about strategy even better at the game. Baddies will be baddies and the curious will be better than they were yesterday. (thats right, this phrase reminds you of all that life you wasted watching naruto fillers!)
this 100000000000x this, many many people have tried to teach and only gotten "NO U JUST DEFEND HIM BECAUSE YOU PLAY TEH OP NOOB CHAMP!!!!" response

also..... wait naruto has things other then filler?

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamserX View Post
this 100000000000x this, many many people have tried to teach and only gotten "NO U JUST DEFEND HIM BECAUSE YOU PLAY TEH OP NOOB CHAMP!!!!" response

also..... wait naruto has things other then filler?
yes, sometimes tsunade's boobs jiggle and people actually get hurt or killed. Last I checked, naruto who wants to be a ninja master has yet to intentionally kill a single person and hinata has failed to win a single major fight on her own.

Vencu

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
yes, sometimes tsunade's boobs jiggle and people actually get hurt or killed. Last I checked, naruto who wants to be a ninja master has yet to intentionally kill a single person and hinata has failed to win a single major fight on her own.
meh screw the anime, all about the manga now anyways

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamserX View Post
meh screw the anime, all about the manga now anyways
ಠ_ಠ but if its a manga how can they jiggle?

Rhaydex

02-19-2013

I completely agree with you but for most people just saying the champion is OP is simply easier =/
also I love how he wrote a huge constructive thread and people are talking about anime rofl

Papersuit

02-19-2013

well you know I try

IS1f715232b540cb2fffcee

02-19-2013

The change seems allright to me. not having the ult up 24/7 but still being able to get the resets in.

They are doing the same to him as they did with riven: change the ulti so it isn't up every time you come to lane to prevent darius from snowballing too hard. good approach imo.