Veigar; Evil or Ineffectual?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foolish Lantern

05-21-2014

Common perception seems to be that Veigar is largely harmless, that he lacks the knowledge or comprehension to commit truly despicable crimes. Assuming he does anything at all. When compared to villainous characters, such as Elise, Thresh, Shaco, Syndra(?), Singed, Nocturne, and so on, Veigar is less than intimidating. To be honest, he's a joke, and I assume we are meant to view him as such.

On the other hand, his biography paints a different picture. In it, we're told Veigar was incarcerated at Noxus and tortured through isolation. During this period he went insane, and despite how humorous certain sociopaths may be (Mundo), insanity is hardly a laughing matter. Compounding this is that after Veigar escaped, the details of which we know absolutely nothing about, he spent years acquiring power through dark magic. Anyone who has been deleted by well-executed Veigar combo can tell you his spells are no joke.

My question is, how do you view the Tiny Master of Evil? Is he a poor, lost soul who only thinks he is evil after going through a traumatic event? Is he an absolute maniac that derives real sadistic pleasure in annihilating anyone he can get his (tiny) hands on? Or is he something else entirely?

Motajo

05-21-2014

It seems that either he wants to be evil but can't bring himself to commit deeds that are actually evil (torture, etc.), or his perception of what is evil came straight from a Saturday-morning cartoon.

Uaine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-21-2014

This poor guy can't just be a joke, or he wouldn't be in the League at all. Unless he is a similar danger like Annie and is kept in the League to be watched, or regulated.

The Red Warden

05-21-2014

He can summon dark matter. Now I don't know about runaterra's physics, but when matter and dark matter collide it can be as powerful as a nuclear bomb.

Motajo

05-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Warden View Post
He can summon dark matter. Now I don't know about runaterra's physics, but when matter and dark matter collide it can be as powerful as a nuclear bomb.
Most skill names aren't meant to be taken quite so literally.

Foolish Lantern

05-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motajo View Post
It seems that either he wants to be evil but can't bring himself to commit deeds that are actually evil (torture, etc.), or his perception of what is evil came straight from a Saturday-morning cartoon.
This is something I find interesting, because if the former is true, it calls into question the claim he is insane. If the latter, I suppose it could just be written off as Yordles' limited capacity to commit evil acts, since as a culture they don't seem to be particularly capable of nastiness.

Teemo being an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaine View Post
This poor guy can't just be a joke, or he wouldn't be in the League at all. Unless he is a similar danger like Annie and is kept in the League to be watched, or regulated.
That he is being observed by the Institute of War to prevent his power from getting out of hand is a possible reason he is in the League, the only problem being that nothing in lore indicates this. Hell, he doesn't even have a judgement, so we have no idea what he thinks of the League at all.

In so far as power goes, there is no denying his. Veigar's lore even states that he is "one of the most powerful sorcerers on Valoran." Though he is very dangerous, we've never seen him actually use his magic outside of the League, barring the incident with the Yordle Mothership, which may not even be valid as lore anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motajo View Post
Most skill names aren't meant to be taken quite so literally.
It does say he is a corruptor of cosmic energy, but who knows.

Gentleman Gaston

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-21-2014

A Yordle is a Yordle is a Yordle, and Veigar is no different. Next time he crops up in the spotlight, I imagine we'll be seeing some of that in him.

otakoteep

05-21-2014

as rammus says
http://youtu.be/V-8Q4PM4PXM?t=2m58s

Blitztrooper

05-21-2014

He's supposedly one of the most powerful mages in Valoran.

He's like the villain who would be really freaking scary if he actually knew how to do evil things with his powers. "Oh no, you stole my balloons!" Goddammit, Veigar you small-minded *****. Think bigger!

sbudeeG

05-21-2014

He's an evil genius, but without the genius. He has vast cosmic powers, but no real idea what he's doing. I believe he knows that he could torture people, but is conflicted about it because he was tortured himself. Many people don't pay such things much attention, and expect the "bad guys" to be 100% nasty. It can be hard to remember that even the malicious and insane are more "normal" in many ways, more than we give them credit for.

For instance, Veigar's particular brand of insanity is bred from isolation: torture in the minds of yordles. They are a social species and entirely dependent on each other for their self-worth and their sense of belonging in the world. I'd be willing to bet that he began to feel a sense of betrayal from his people, because of how they, in his mind, abandoned him to his fate as a prisoner. Perhaps his brand of evil is not universal, but really just anti-yordle. He's vindicated in his mind, because his people abandoned him. However, he isn't too bright. Brilliant mage, but his magic is over cosmic energy. He can't create massive guns, rockets and lasers. He isn't a tiny little Einstein. He's a (very) deranged mage who thinks like (duh) an everyday yordle. His balloon plot to him had to sound genius. Cheap, easily obtainable way to devastate the yordles. Remember, he doesn't have vast amounts of money for an airship, nuclear missile, megadeathcannonthatfiresmisslesmadeoutoflasersandd oom. He's on a tight budget.