I created a schematic to reflect Champion relationships in the lore!

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 41
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Engrailed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2013

Version 1.8

Hi Everyone,

I am a big fan of the potential for engaging storytelling in LoL, but I often have a hard time picturing the interwoven lore in the game. I like big visual representations to get that kind of broad overview of something this complex, so I created a schematic to show how champions are affiliated and related to one another in LoL.

I know things like this have been done before, but I didn't see that there was anything currently being updated. I am hoping this is a useful resource for other members of the community who also find the lore engaging. You can also see from the image that there is still a lot of room for interaction amongst champions, although some like Singed are fairly well connected.

Please let me know if you find anything missing, as this is still very much a work in progress (and likely will always be).

Thanks!

Updates:
2/14/2014 - It has been about a year almost since I first started this project. In the year that has passed since then, we've seen Riot start covering the relationships between champions with greater frequency and care. Can we take this a step further though and start to add those "Chapter 2" stories and beyond to the lore? Personally, I would love it if in the following year the same amount of emphasis that has historically been placed on really 'selling' the player-base on a new champion during their introduction could ALSO be placed on telling the on-going stories of the 117+ champions currently participating in the league.

6/30/2013 - ALL BETA SITE RELATIONSHIPS NOW INCORPORATED. This was a huge update - I rearranged many champion images to reflect the new affiliations on the beta website and of course added the additional relationships reflected there as well. Every champion now has at least one connection. The downside is that the chart is very very messy and possibly difficult to read. It is going to take a lot of extra time to figure out how best to deal with this and make it more comprehensible, especially in the Demacia/Noxus region. I'm going to be playing around with things and doing some experiments, but in the meanwhile I wanted to have a comprehensive update that finally acknowledges the plethora of new connections established on the beta site. Enjoy!

6/17/2013 - Aatrox added, plus I'm experimenting with how I visually communicate a champion's feelings towards a city-state. Instead of using a line, I am now using a symbol above their portrait that is color-coded using the same relationship color-scheme found in the legend. So to show Ezreal's hatred of Noxus, there is now an orange Noxus symbol above his head. Please let me know if this makes sense or not!

5/1/2013 - Updated now that the Freljord patch is out to include the new factions within the greater conflict. Also, as usual, some smaller tweaks were included as well based on new lore introduced in this patch and additional requests from the community.

4/20/2013 - If you're going to copy my work, at least make your own symbols for each of the regions instead of blatantly copying them...Russian Copycats!

4/16/2013 - Updated to include the additional Freljord developments and some small formatting tweaks. Bilgewater has been moved to the bottom to make room for the expanded Freljord. This was pretty easy since none of the Bilgewater champions have ties to any other champions outside of Bilgewater.

4/07/2013 - Version 1.4a is up! This incorporates much of the Freljord conflict developments, but is still subject to change based on what we hear in the coming weeks.

4/06/2013 - I am currently updating to v1.4 and will be incorporating all of the recent lore developments in the Freljord. All updated icons are in and Lissandra is present. The Ironspike mountains are also gone as both Trundle and Anivia (the only two inhabitants) have been moved into the Freljord proper. This opens up this area as a blank slate lore-wise, but it's unclear if we'll ever hear it mentioned again. I haven't tried to optimize the schematic to account for the missing space - instead I have just moved Olaf over to accentuate how removed from the world he is (as well as Lokfar).

3/17/2013 - Most feedback now incorporated - the image has been updated but I'm keeping the version # as 1.3. Down to the nitty gritty now in terms of anything not on there. Zac and Quinn added. Please continue to let me know if I've missed anything or if you think something should be added or if you're confused by anything. Thanks for all of your feedback and support!

3/16/2013 - Version 1.3 is up! I have yet to incorporate all of the feedback you all have posted here and on reddit. These changes are forthcoming, but I first wanted to release the new version which is (hopefully) color-blind friendly and has an icon system for a cleaner presentation of champions with multiple affiliations. As always, your feedback is welcome! Thanks!

3/9/2013 - Still working on the next version, with a specific focus on three key areas:
1) Creating symbols for each region in order to have a simple visual reference for champion's with more than one regional affiliation (simple, unique symbols for every region have been created - still in the process of adding them/rearranging the layout so everything looks a bit cleaner (see #3)

2) Updating colors to be more color-blind friendly (Colors have been updated - should now be more clear while still retaining usage of color to distinguish relationships).

3) Adding missing connections/re-jiggering the layout to be more 'clean' (this is a big one - the current layout is somewhat haphazard. I wanted to standardize things a bit more before releasing the next version but I think this will end up being an ongoing process in favor of a quicker release).

2/22/2013 - I will be posting a new version tomorrow (2/23/2013) that incorporates some of the feedback received and some additional features as well. Thanks again!

Old Versions:
Version 1.7
Version 1.6
Version 1.5
Version 1.4b
Version 1.4a
Version 1.3
Version 1.2
Version 1.1

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

02-19-2013

Very cool. I'll take a look

Levik

02-19-2013

I would add more colors, yellow is all over. Make more specific, but still broad relations. Try a master/creator relation, that would cover Yi/Wukong, WW/Soraka, and Victor/Blitz at least. Finally, Victor helped create Urgot so that deserves something. I believe that would clear up and add a lot. Another thing is that I thought Maokai is from The Twisted Treeline so why is he loosely (I assume that is what the space means) associated with The Shadow Isles?

I know it is a work in progress, but I thought I would throw in my two cents and try and help. Good job and keep us updated!

TheNarvalOfDeath

02-19-2013

Lol, drink together. I laughed

Also i only took a quick look but:

-Darius and Swain are related, Swain is the Tyrant of Noxus and Darius is one of his main commanders or something like that so they should be related
-The same way, Jarvan IV and Katarina, if i dont missrecall, had some kind of arrangement to uncover a plot lead by the League which involed Swain, so there we have perhaps a friendly (or at least and "other") relationship between Kat and Jarvan and an antagonistic relationship between her and Swain

OriginalA

02-19-2013

I would add speculative romantic relationship between Garan and Katarina. There is more subtext that lends itself to this than Teemo and Tristana and you have them as a couple.

Also Varus is WAY antagonistic to Noxus. He corrupted himself for the sake of killing all whom were involved in the invasion of Ionia. That puts at least Katarina, Singed (although he is from Zuan), Riven, and Warrick on his hit list. Not sure who else on that one.

Pretty cool though. Good job!

Atik L Yar

02-19-2013

Aren't Malzahar and Kog'Maw allies? (Kog'Maw came to Runeterra for the sake of helping Malzahar, and was convinced by him to join the League.)

Yasako

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarvalOfDeath View Post
-The same way, Jarvan IV and Katarina, if i dont missrecall, had some kind of arrangement to uncover a plot lead by the League which involed Swain, so there we have perhaps a friendly (or at least and "other") relationship between Kat and Jarvan and an antagonistic relationship between her and Swain
Speculated that the J4 shown there was really LeBlanc. Not 100% set in stone yet.

Quote:
I would add speculative romantic relationship between Garan and Katarina. There is more subtext that lends itself to this than Teemo and Tristana and you have them as a couple.

Also Varus is WAY antagonistic to Noxus. He corrupted himself for the sake of killing all whom were involved in the invasion of Ionia. That puts at least Katarina, Singed (although he is from Zuan), Riven, and Warrick on his hit list. Not sure who else on that one.
On the Garen and Katarina count: Eh, a little iffy on that one. Romantic tension is one thing, romantic relationship is another.

Varus likely didn't know some Noxians existed before he joined the League. He probably doesn't have enmity towards anyone in particular, just all-out rage.

ShatteredSkys

02-19-2013

Nice job!

HellComet

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarvalOfDeath View Post
Lol, drink together. I laughed

Also i only took a quick look but:

-Darius and Swain are related, Swain is the Tyrant of Noxus and Darius is one of his main commanders or something like that so they should be related
It is unfair to call Swain a tyrant because we have yet to be given any information in how his rule has gone, Darkwill is better listed as a tyrant after having ruled for 300 year and is the most likel cause of Noxus current shape.

Alex3omg

02-19-2013

This is amazing.

I don't think I'd consider Ashe and Senjuani "related" per se. They are descended from two sisters long ago, but they'd be very distant cousins at best. I think a lot of people think they're sisters so it might be confusing to have that.

Also I think Karthus has 'other' with Malz and Kass because he interfered in a fight they had once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasako View Post
On the Garen and Katarina count: Eh, a little iffy on that one. Romantic tension is one thing, romantic relationship is another.

Varus likely didn't know some Noxians existed before he joined the League. He probably doesn't have enmity towards anyone in particular, just all-out rage.
I would put Teemo/Trist and Garen/Kat both as speculative.

Oh and TF and Eve should have other/romantic (they broke up so)

1234511 ... 41