show me the Math

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JanosWuryon

02-19-2013

Ok i gotta say that I like the new system but I need to see the math on this MMR vs LP system. I went 8-1 over my last 9 games. 1 in a series then 7 straight wins in Bronze 4. I had 43 LP ( 7 per win) I lose two in a row today and im back to 0LP??? really. So in B5 i get 30 a win in b4 its 7 but still -21 for a loss.
I can deal with this so long as my MMR ( elo essentially) increases and eventually ill earn more a win. but I think as game players and the people who pay for content we deserve to see the math behind this. What is the big secret anyway. Just post the tiers and MMRs. I want to know that if in B4 my MMR is X that I earn and lose X LP. At least let me see where Im expected to be at to earn a good rate.
for those that dont agree or dont see the issue let me simplify the number I see right now.

1 win 7, 1 loss -21.. Win ratio to qualify for B3 series 15 - 0 or 18-1 or 21-2. i think you would be hard pressed to find platinum, diamond or even challenger tier players who post these kinds of runs, ever much less scrubby bronzes like me.
This system is great for giving hope and setting acheivable goals untill this happens. at least let me see the formula so I know where the light at the end of the tunnel is at.

JanosWuryon

02-19-2013

actually since i doubt that anyone from Riot would respond and post the math lets figure it out ourselves. im thinking the community can. so here is what we know

My W/L ratio in solo que ranked is 140 and 153 (-13 WL Ratio) terrible I know. I estiate that my old Elo would have been around 750-800 depending on who I lost too. I gain 7 per win in B4 and lose 21.anyone similar in stats or a little better/worse that has numbers.

Cavo

02-19-2013

I think the equation has been posted several times in the past actually. They've been very upfront about it. The problem you're running into is that ELO is hidden for ranked now, so you can't exactly plug in the numbers. Basically if your mmr is higher than where you're placed on the ladder, you'll get more LP per win and you'll lose fewer, if your mmr is lower you will get fewer points per win and lose more on losses. The system is designed that way to try and balance your standing on the ladder with your hidden rating. It will be more difficult to climb the ladder once you've settled into a tier, this is because the system is designed to keep you where it thinks you belong.

Obviously the system believes you belong in bronze 4, it made it easier for you to get there. Now that you are there, it's going to make it tougher for you to climb higher until you can prove that you're worthy of being promoted. The only way to do this is to get better over time and start playing more consistently. No one's gonna be able to help you do that math on this, but don't worry because everything's working the way it's supposed to, they have very smart people who designed it to work the way it does so that all you have to do is worry about playing your best and improving.

ThePhantomCreep

02-19-2013

I believe you will need to get closer to 1:1 win ratio in order for you to start gaining more LP on wins. I also was in a slump for a bit but once I got over the 1:1 ratio I received far more points with wins then I did losses. Beyond that I am not sure how the match behind it would really help?

JanosWuryon

02-19-2013

I know its working but i can believe that the seperation between b5 and b4s mmr wohld account for that drastic a swing. Again if it was b2 or b1 and there was a drop like this id get it. That being said lets say i go 21-2 which would have to happen to get tomy b4 series that would put me at a 1:1 wl ratio. So by your logic i would then be able to advance faster through b3 than b4? Or if i lost my series and got dropped to 75 LP i would need less games to back to my series. ? This is where the system breaks down for me cause if i kept winning at this rate i would.eventually have to breeze thru divisions. Im sure gold players are better then 1:1 ratios amd does it take them this many wins to promote?

Cavo

02-19-2013

Once they're settled in at gold it does. There are people in my league with anywhere from 15 to 500 wins. Just depends.

Selcopa

02-19-2013

From whats been observed, if the game's average MMR is equal to your exact division standing, you will gain or lose 20 LP. When the average MMR of the match is below your division standing, you win gain less than 20 LP, but lose more than 20 LP. The opposite also applies when the average MMR is above your division standing, you will gain more than 20 LP, and lose less than 20 LP.

This does not apply when approaching promotional series, everything is reduced.

Also keep in mind that even when you are winning, the average MMR might not always go up. Based on your position in the matchmaking, its possible to win a game as last pick, then win another game as first pick, because the average mmr is lower and your league standing is higher, you might not gain as much