What is ELO hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Naradak

10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch4ng3l View Post
so theoretically, what's being said is:

1. lose games = lose elo
2. low elo = paired with low elo people
3. low elo teams = more losses
4. more losses = elo never climbs back up?

i thought it was just a status thing and never minded losing but if thats the case i would get worried, might i climb back up by playing premades? well with better people duh, and if i'm good as claimed, get back to where i belong? i dont really get this elo thing
#3 doesn't make sense to me. If you are getting matched against similar elo teams, why would you get more losses? One team always has to win.

The Graveman

10-06-2011

ELO hell is like a bad credit score: Once you get into that range, it's going to be hell getting out.

ORyanB8

10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naradak View Post
#3 doesn't make sense to me. If you are getting matched against similar elo teams, why would you get more losses? One team always has to win.
Thats why many people say ELO hell doesnt exist. Because if your team is bad, then so is the other team. So if you dont think you belong in that ELO, then it is 4 bads and one good(you), vs 5 bads. Therefore, you should win games until you are in the correct ELO.

Cradlereborn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2011

Most of the players had no idea to play the champions they were playing, prob first timers. Absolutely terrible. No pushing what so ever. Feels like its a 3v5 most of the time.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradlereborn View Post
Most of the players had no idea to play the champions they were playing, prob first timers. Absolutely terrible. No pushing what so ever. Feels like its a 3v5 most of the time.
IF you're that good, you should be playing at a level that roughly equates to 2-3 players. This means that unless your team is just walking aimlessly in circles or is afk in _every_ game, you will get out of 'Elo hell'. The higher above your 'hell level' that you belong, the quicker you get out.

(I'm a firm believer in Elo hell being self inflicted. You believe you're better than everyone else, so you stop focusing on improving your own play, and worry about critiquing everyone else; both are individually ways to hurt your chances of winning, doing both together almost assures that you'll lose more often than not.)

CrimsonSteel

10-06-2011

'Tis a life without bubbles. It chills me...

The Spidermon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssraeshza View Post
There is no such thing as ELO hell. It's just something people say when they lose a lot.
This.

JeffTheScrub

Recruiter

10-23-2011

ELO hell does exist but the "unable to go any higher ELO" status is false.
if your losing games, that means someone is winning games.
the more games you lose, the more games people are winning. For your ELO to go up, you have to make other peoples ELO go down. I used to be at 400 ELO and everyone said there was no way to get out, so I didnt play ranked for a while. Improving your own gameplay is what you should be focusing on instead of blaming feeders and baddies and leavers.

FloridaPonce

10-23-2011

Me is just a hole digging deeper and deeper

Jimqi

10-23-2011

The largest problem is that everyone seems to have a different definition of what elo hell is. Some people think it's impossible to get out of some say it takes time to get out of while others flat put say it doesn't exist.

I'm my opinion it doesn't exist... Usually. With a player base the size of lol's it's inevitable some people will eventually get unlucky and get stuck at low elo for a significant period of time. It's probably also true that most of the people complaining do not represent this portion of the community.

Take everything with a grain of salt. That guy who supposedly had 20 leavers in a row just might be exaggerating.