What is ELO hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-05-2011

Whether or not one believes Elo hell exists, it really isn't a topic relevant to new players. If you still consider yourself a new player, even at 30, you're not ready for ranked games. Heck I have over 1.5k games and I still only play Ranked on occasion...

I am Chau

07-05-2011

Elo Hell is when you lose so MANY ranked games that you begin to play with FEEDERS , LEAVERS , TROLLS , and NOOBS. Lots of people try to get a higher ELO but because their win to lose ratio is so bad , you only get 10-20 elo. I wouldn't say it was impossible to get out of it. I would say it is difficult to get out of ELO hell.

Myyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Whether or not one believes Elo hell exists, it really isn't a topic relevant to new players. If you still consider yourself a new player, even at 30, you're not ready for ranked games. Heck I have over 1.5k games and I still only play Ranked on occasion...
Define 'ready for ranked games'.

You think people should play 1500 games before playing ranked? You think all the 2k+ rated players did that? Or did they just run straight to level 30 and jump into ranked and progress because they are good players?

I'm betting it's the second option. If you don't have a firm grasp on basic mechanics like not overextending by level 30, chances are it's not ever going to stick. Like it or not, not everyone is destined for greatness if they just put the time in..

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-05-2011

I'm not saying to wait for that many games (the main reason is that I've been playing since before the store opened, and I haven't had as much time to play recently; I haven't been improving since I can't play as much). What I meant, is more of a mental issue. If you don't have a firm grasp on several champions of each role, you're not ready for ranked. If you don't know what every champion can do, at least a basic understanding, you're not ready for ranked. If you don't understand the fundamentals of the game (even if you're not good at them, you need to know them), you're not ready for ranked.

You're ready for ranked when you have a selection of champions you can and are willing to use to better your team's chances of winning. You're ready when you've matured mentally enough that you've learned that sometimes your best chance at winning is taking a break; there's no use playing games when you're in a 'funk'.

Suffice it to say, that a lot of players who play ranked aren't even close to ready for it. They play it because they think it's the next step after hitting 30, or because they want to test out draft mode. While you don't have to be the best player to play ranked, you should have a mindset that is different than normal; fun = winning.

BStein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2011

I must say I agree with Panzerfaust, but lets face it that one of the best things about getting your first lvl 30 is getting to try out the ranked games. Those people that are getting in to ranked for the first time may not be use to the different play style there and may only be good with one type of champ.

I don't know if I'm the best person to be giving advice on how to get out of ELO Hell but here it is.
1) Buy some champs that can fill each roll and that are not banned that often, if your only jungler is amumu you wont be able to take the roll of jungler because he is often banned same with gang plank or twisted fate
2)Be willing to play the unappreciated support champ and be willing to let the carries get most of the cs and kills over you, my experience with lower ELO games is that people dislike playing the support champ and having one on the team can make a huge difference in how your team does; also some of the newer players to ranked more then likely don't understand how to play support properly so dont try to force someone into that roll unless u really want a feeder.
3)Having a positive attitude can keep you from getting into the funk, you just have to accept it that at 1200 ELO you are going to have to deal with trolls, newbs, and ragers in a lot of your games and you just can't let them take the fun out of the game or the trolls win and no one wants that.
4)Queing with a friend can help out a lot, having that friends with you makes the game more enjoyable; or it does for me; and it also takes a seat away from someone that may/maynot be a troll.
5)If you happen to just steamroll your way to victory ask some of the people on your team if they would be up for an other game, this is a great way to get more friends and you can help each-other fight out of ELO Hell

I hope that this will help some one out there and best of luck on raising that ELO

ps: I just broke the 1300ELO mark where 57 of my 79 game I played Soraka because no one else wanted to play support, people at lower ELO really HATE playing support.

Vidwadu

07-06-2011

elo hell would be around 900 and down, this is about 15-20 more losses than wins if you started out. the elo system makes you start at 1200.

Cinzo

07-20-2011

actually you can get out :P

Yoyo8300

07-20-2011

its basically when you feel that you belong in a higher elo but you are stuck in a lower elo than where you belong and can't get out due to bad teamates, etc

personally i dont think it exists

LeopardSlippers

07-29-2011

Yeah, Elo Hell exists. I've been through it D:

Pretty much, I got really REALLY bad people. A lot of feeders, afkers, etc. I'd say I'm decent as a player. I'm not really pro or anything. But, I was only in there because I got terrible people on my team. I dropped from 1350 to 1200 in one day. I probably should have stopped after 3 losses, but I'm persistent. And then, soon I was at exactly 1100. But, out of luck, I finally got good allies. And I slowly crawled out and ended up at 1350 again. Coolstorybro. Ikr?

FreestyleKneepad

08-01-2011

This is just my two cents' worth on the whole Elo Hell thing.

I've only played 1 Ranked game (and lost), and have about 100 Normal wins, so it's not like I'm some mega pro, and the concept of Elo Hell does kind of scare the **** out of me. Not because of the rank drop- I could care less about rankings- but because of who it'd make me play with, which would ruin the game and keep it from being fun, which was why I started playing it anyways.

I've got a bunch of friends that play, so I'm perfectly happy playing Normal games regularly and playing Ranked only when I have a full team of my friends. Sure, it's gonna keep me from playing Ranked all the time, but as someone who regularly plays Rammus and Mordekaiser (who've been banned in most of the games I've seen my friends play), I don't see that big a problem with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Elo Hell seems to be what you make of it. If you're like me and you don't plan on playing the game ultra-seriously, stick to Normal games and only play Ranked with people you trust and you should be alright. It also helped to make sure you're not awful (that was my problem).