What is ELO hell?

12345612 ... 21
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
One of the best ways to "get out of ELO hell" is to dual-queue. Or so I hear.

If you want my opinion, Elo hell does exist in people's minds. However, exactly like you presumed, it isn't a real fact.

The truth is that outside of really unlucky scenarios, 90% of the games when you're playing with noobs, you're playing AGAINST noobs as well.

In solo queue I've had my Elo go up and down and I really don't play enough to get it stable. However below 1400 Elo me and my friend can duo queue and pretty much win 2v5, regardless of the idiots we get paired with. This is why you won't fall so much behind.

Oh and I've tried it on some friends acc - below 1200 I can pretty much win games alone XD So I don't take excuses for people loosing "only because of bad teams".

apocolocyntosis

10-29-2010

if you are "stuck in ELO hell" just buy twitch who while not amazing, owns sucky players.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinlover97 View Post
if you are "stuck in ELO hell" just buy twitch who while not amazing, owns sucky players.
I dunno man, I can't seem to play him well. If you can play him even decently, he's probably a good choice, but I just have the worst time positioning.

I'd say go for Rammus. Nothing like having a tank on the team to make your entire team do better. Especially when they're all picking hard carries.

Davee38

04-23-2011

Well, I get the funny feeling that the harder I'm trying to get out of the sh*t, the deeper I sink down into it.

I had a rating of 1303 just the other day, and I've been playing 24/7 trying to improve it. Went straight down to 1198. It just doesn't happen, there's always a leaver, or a feeder, or someone who flames and other people who get offended and leave, and they make us lose the game even if we were winning.
Eventually, you'll get used to it.

You need to have an insane amount of luck in a row to get out.
But there's always the satisfaction you get from reporting all those people who made you lose.
I've only played like, 20 ranked games, but still this is annoying. I don't see it happening on the other team. I might be exaggerating. Maybe I'm having an insane amount of bad luck.

I guess we just have to live with it. But I wonder, if we all reported those players (obviously you don't mind winning against a team full of feeders, but do you want to have them on your team in the next match?) or told them to uninstall LoL, would they eventually disappear?

Lord Tolkien

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee38 View Post
I've only played like, 20 ranked games, but still this is annoying. I don't see it happening on the other team. I might be exaggerating. Maybe I'm having an insane amount of bad luck.
There's your problem.

Take it from someone who originally shot up to 1475 before dropping to 1100, it happens your first few games as you find your "true" ELO. Afterwards, I just worked on improving my own gameplay and am currently back over 1475.

In my opinion, ELO hell does exist in a minor form. Yes, you'll experience a higher frequency of leavers, trolls, etc. the lower the ELO you go, but then, the enemy team has an even higher probability of the aforementioned (assuming you yourself aren't, its 4 vs 5).

In any event, ELO is largely determined by your own skill, given you are the only constant.

I think this person says it well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
Congratulations, Dyrus.

And remember, everyone, Elo Hell never ends.

At 100, Elo Hell is a Mordekaiser stacking Manamunes, feeding, and muttering in Portuguese about how he is #1.
At 1200 it's a team without a jungler.
At 1400 it's an Udyr sitting at bot at the 40 minute mark.
At 1800 it's the other team having 2200+ Elo Smurfs.

bajarbum

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomniumProxy View Post
If you want my opinion, Elo hell does exist in people's minds. However, exactly like you presumed, it isn't a real fact.

The truth is that outside of really unlucky scenarios, 90% of the games when you're playing with noobs, you're playing AGAINST noobs as well.

In solo queue I've had my Elo go up and down and I really don't play enough to get it stable. However below 1400 Elo me and my friend can duo queue and pretty much win 2v5, regardless of the idiots we get paired with. This is why you won't fall so much behind.

Oh and I've tried it on some friends acc - below 1200 I can pretty much win games alone XD So I don't take excuses for people loosing "only because of bad teams".
True, ELO hell exists but only in people's minds. As I myself am stuck in ELO hell, I know how its like to be in that situation. Low ELO players generally lose because of bad team combo rather than their individual gameplay. The main reasons why people get stuck in ELO hell are:
  1. People tend to pick up their favorite champion rather than the one which suits their team.
  2. Frustration of losing tends to generate a losing streak.
  3. Leavers/AFK exist more in lower ELO.
  4. Last pick players are usually forced to pick tanks/junglers/supports which they might not be good at.

Duel que is the best way to come out of ELO hell.Also, try to play with different champions so that you can always play with a champion which suits your team. A good strategy would be to learn to play tanks because a good tank contributes most to his team. Everyone knows how to play a carry, but good tanks are rare.

Lord Tolkien

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarbum View Post
Duel que is the best way to come out of ELO hell.Also, try to play with different champions so that you can always play with a champion which suits your team. A good strategy would be to learn to play tanks because a good tank contributes most to his team. Everyone knows how to play a carry, but good tanks are rare.
My suggestion is to learn jungling. A truly good jungler (one who's proficient at counterjungling, recovering from counterjungling, clearing camps fast, and knows when to gank) is hard to find, and invaluable to a team. For example, if you know how to properly counterjungle a Fiddles, you can completely gimp his jungle to extreme levels. At some points in "ELO" hell, you'll find Fiddles whom don't carry smite (and Warwicks, Olafs, etc.). As a result, counterjungling them to the point of complete uselessness is perfectly feasible. Olaf is another extremely simplistic character to counterjungle, given his relatively low health in the jungle. If he doesn't carry smite, its extremely easy to just smite his lizard or blue buff, then go in and kill him.

Did it once (when I was ~1350 ELO) against a Fiddles with smite. Interrupted him every time he was on blue, killed him after his getting red (giving Irelia a double buff, which promptly allowed her to destroy Morde and top lane), etc. A good jungler can prop up failing lanes, especially given lower ELOs don't ward.

Or take the best of both worlds, and play a good jungle-tank. Amumu, Shen, Malphite, Rammus, and Cho'gath are all good jungle tanks (Nunu and Udyr are also useful, but aren't the best true tanks). Each of them are excellent for different reasons. Rammus is a godly ganker if played right, as is Amumu. A Shen with good map awareness can save lanes (and initiate/counterinitiate ganks), and Cho'gath is a deadly counterjungler.

Davee38

05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarbum View Post
True, ELO hell exists but only in people's minds. As I myself am stuck in ELO hell, I know how its like to be in that situation. Low ELO players generally lose because of bad team combo rather than their individual gameplay. The main reasons why people get stuck in ELO hell are:
  1. People tend to pick up their favorite champion rather than the one which suits their team.
  2. Frustration of losing tends to generate a losing streak.
  3. Leavers/AFK exist more in lower ELO.
  4. Last pick players are usually forced to pick tanks/junglers/supports which they might not be good at.

False. Not everyone knows how to play a carry. You can play tanks all day long, if there is someone squishy feeding the enemy, it will still ruin your game.

CEO Kasen

05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee38 View Post
Well, I get the funny feeling that the harder I'm trying to get out of the sh*t, the deeper I sink down into it.

I had a rating of 1303 just the other day, and I've been playing 24/7 trying to improve it. Went straight down to 1198.
Sometimes trying too hard can actually cripple your play, and knowing when to back off and cool down is more important than continuously pounding yourself into a wall. It's something Starcraft players - and poker players before them - call "Being on Tilt;" when you get so frustrated with a loss or other game circumstance that your play suffers due to emotional clouding, and of course each loss only makes it worse and worse until either you back off and take a deep breath or you slam your keyboard through an undeserving puppy.

Assuming this is the case - and it sounds like it might be, at least sometimes - step back after a particularly frustrating loss, and instead of going right back into the queue... think of the puppies. ^.^

TenebrousLuck

07-05-2011

Elo hell is real. The range of stupid is amazing. If you're unlucky you'll get first-time noobs on your team, and first-time pros on the other.

12345612 ... 21