What is ELO hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hellfury32

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomniumProxy View Post
If you want my opinion, Elo hell does exist in people's minds. However, exactly like you presumed, it isn't a real fact.

The truth is that outside of really unlucky scenarios, 90% of the games when you're playing with noobs, you're playing AGAINST noobs as well.

In solo queue I've had my Elo go up and down and I really don't play enough to get it stable. However below 1400 Elo me and my friend can duo queue and pretty much win 2v5, regardless of the idiots we get paired with. This is why you won't fall so much behind.

Oh and I've tried it on some friends acc - below 1200 I can pretty much win games alone XD So I don't take excuses for people loosing "only because of bad teams".
well u and ur frieend are probably good me im average looking to get hgher but im low elo and all my friends are noobs and the ones that are decent are never on

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-28-2012

If you're average looking to get higher, then you need to stop being average. I'm not trying to be rude, I'd love to get better too, it's just not in my near future. (I don't have the time or willpower to commit myself to improving as much as I need to.)

You might be really, really good in one thing, but you need to be good in _everything_ to move up.

Velocether

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

If you dont believe this exists, then im sorry to inform you, but you do not have a brain. Just played 4 games as ez, 1 game, feeder/afk, second game, dc... never came back, third game... feeders, fourth game... even more feeders that go in 1v4. Elo hell clearly exists and it just setbacks players that shouldnt be playing with *******

Poopington

Recruiter

08-09-2012

ELO hell exists, and is hard to get out of.
If youre an awesome player it wont take too long you just have to schedule your games, like whos free that week? did someone just come out? if easy champs are free go for it, if hard champs are dont try too hard to find a good team, because you probably wont. if someone just came out, try not to play, because a lot of people love buying them and then going straight into ranked games and then they suck. Hard. you plan out your games like this and hop in solo/duo que, if you have a friend who is also good with low elo, climb the ranks together, because youre more likely to find a better team with two good players to carry than a completely random team.
if youre average try to do the same, and focus on learning to play 2 people a jungler and whatever else youre good at. because most often elo hell is also because most people that low arent good junglers or support and everyone wants mid solo top or ad carry since they are easy. try out all the roles, find your niche, hopefully your well rounded and can do even more than just jungle and one other role, that means you have definite room for improvemnt. as you get better into planning, youll see your performance with your teams will increase, and try your hardest to be nice to everyone (this goes to awesome players too) itll help your team get along and improve synergy. if youre just an average 1200-ish player, youll have to do all these things to the best of your ability because youll have to deal with all the new ranked players and such. its just what youll have to deal with being average.

FurySK

08-09-2012

What people commonly refer to ELO hell is what i consider to be part of the game. You're not going to win 100% of the time, and the fact is that some people can't tell that they're play is part of the reason why they cant win. Go look at some people smurfing like Aphromoo, RobertxLee, Spellsy. They smurf, and then win 90% of the time with champions most people play in every ranked game, and robert goes random ad carries (annie and blitz) and still wins. You think that you can't win because you get trolled, but yet he can carry with 19 kills on what most people feel is mostly a support, and rarely a top lane or jungle champ?

To me, ELO hell really only exists in terms of the sub 1000 ELO bracket, when summoners go in and play ranked before they're really fit to play ranked, they lose a handful of games, and get stuck with more AFK's and DC's than people in the 1050-2750 elo range. To say that theres ever an ELO where you'll never get trolled, and never have someone screw up on your team....thats just your imagination.

Poopington

Recruiter

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurySK View Post
What people commonly refer to ELO hell is what i consider to be part of the game. You're not going to win 100% of the time, and the fact is that some people can't tell that they're play is part of the reason why they cant win. Go look at some people smurfing like Aphromoo, RobertxLee, Spellsy. They smurf, and then win 90% of the time with champions most people play in every ranked game, and robert goes random ad carries (annie and blitz) and still wins. You think that you can't win because you get trolled, but yet he can carry with 19 kills on what most people feel is mostly a support, and rarely a top lane or jungle champ?

To me, ELO hell really only exists in terms of the sub 1000 ELO bracket, when summoners go in and play ranked before they're really fit to play ranked, they lose a handful of games, and get stuck with more AFK's and DC's than people in the 1050-2750 elo range. To say that theres ever an ELO where you'll never get trolled, and never have someone screw up on your team....thats just your imagination.
i agree mostly, but another point is, it doesnt matter how good you are if your team feeds like crazy, not intentionally but just because theyre not exactly the most skilled of players, right now i am stuck in the 1000 elo hell and im managing to get out little by little (the fact that i get more elo when i win, as supposed to how much i lose when i lose) and i went 9/4 jungle lee sin, but the soraka and ashe went 0/11, and 4/12 we almost won because i was backdooring, but they all jumped in on baron while the enemy team was doing it, all died and 4 of the enemy team pushed mid while 1 came to hold me off nexus turrets. its just that most people in low elo lack strategy. that is my honest opinion they completely lack strategy. i would have won that game, or at least had a much better chance of winning had they seen baron tried stealing with a skill shot or something and then backed off and defended while i kept pushing than all of them jumping in 4v5 and getting killed. also i try to tell people that if all 4 of the rest of my team push bot, i can push top almost uncontested because i can usually 1v1 anyone on the enemy team so if two come up to stop me, they can surely win a 4v3 and push bottom. mid is not always the place to be. and also picking off enemy champions requires patience and timing, you cant just run up all willy nilly and expect a kill just because youre fed or something. its just that most people dont understand that, or while playing ranked just dont care, which i hate because when i play ranked im a serious gamer, go mess around in normals if thats all youre going to do.
</rant>

TwistWrist

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopington View Post
i agree mostly, but another point is, it doesnt matter how good you are if your team feeds like crazy,
Bull. Plenty of people have down streams of them going from 0 Elo to 1500+ Elo.

You can't get higher because you aren't supposed to go higher.

FurySK

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Bull. Plenty of people have down streams of them going from 0 Elo to 1500+ Elo.

You can't get higher because you aren't supposed to go higher.
Or to be less confrontational, typically someone has a certain area of their game, or areas, that are lacking on their efforts to make it to higher elo.

Ephringael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

A common arguement is that elo hell does not exist because you are less likely to get bad players on your team than the enemy.

However, if this is true, it must also be true that you are also less likely to get players at your skill level or better than the enemy team.

That idea is flawed, and will only lead us further into confusion as to wether or not Elo hell actually exists.

TwistWrist

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephringael View Post
A common arguement is that elo hell does not exist because you are less likely to get bad players on your team than the enemy.

However, if this is true, it must also be true that you are also less likely to get players at your skill level or better than the enemy team.

That idea is flawed, and will only lead us further into confusion as to wether or not Elo hell actually exists.
That's not remotely true. Your chances of getting one person at your level on your team should be 100%. Because that person is you.

Let's assume that at your Elo, 50% of the people are on your level.

Your team has 6.25% of getting four other people that are at your level. Enemy team has a 3.125%.

The issue of better players is harder to give a straight example because it largely depending on the percentage. However, I'm pretty sure that a high percentage isn't sustainable and the overall odds are still in your favor. Unless you aren't at the right Elo still.