Why isn't the camera the same for purple as it is for blue?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noctes setcoN

02-18-2013

This has probably been discussed a ton over the course of this game's existence but I just cannot see any reason as to why the camera angle remains the way it is, with a natural advantage for the blue team.

The camera angle, how it is now, allows for blue to see further into their lanes, at least on bot and their part of top, and the current default UI blocks the vision for purple and just overall gets in the way. These may be minor, but when I can play on blue and win easily without using the camera disjointed at all, and play on purple and have to struggle to get used to it because without it I just cannot see and I end up dying and losing and getting frustrated because of it, I know there's a problem.

If you want the game to be competitive, shouldn't both teams be as naturally equal and balanced as possible before champions come into play? That's why I'm completely baffled as to why nothing has been done about it.

Riot, is there any legitimate explanation as to why you've kept the camera how it is?

Andes Krigares

02-18-2013

yea i dont like it either, i have yet to get used to playing without cam lock and it messes me up

ive been trying to break free of it but it would be helpful to have a different cam view from purple side.

Noctes setcoN

02-18-2013

I mean I'm no game programmer but it really cannot be that difficult to turn the camera, can it? The only difference for Purple would be the different spots for Dragon and Baron, and the fact that their top would be bot for blue, and their bot top for blue, but those differences in my opinion are much more preferable than a camera angle that works against you.

angryWelchMan

02-18-2013

Because there is no disadvantage and their would just be confusion between people who have the angle switched and don't (ie Jungle says ganking bot but the adc has camera switched and forgets so doesn't prepare for the gank)

If you remove the UI wall and shrink it to the max the only thing left "in the way" is the mini-map. I think a better solution would be an option make clicks on the mini-map not count for movement. Personal the only time the minimap gets in my way is when retreating on blue side.

P.S. if you are new to the game or watching someone new play the game Unlock the camera and dont relock it. Itll take like three games to get use to it and boom everything is better

Noctes setcoN

02-18-2013

But isn't the mere fact that the camera is angled the way it is an advantage for blue? even IF the UI were to be moved, blue would still be able to naturally see more relevant area.

And I dont mean to allow you to freely change the camera from normal to flipped, I mean to just flip it without giving the player an option to do otherwise, because honestly who prefers playing on purple (NOT who is okay or indifferent to it, but who actually PREFERS it) over blue? Why shouldnt the point of view be the same at all times, regardless of what team you start on? Why make playing on a certain team different from playing on the other?

Siaru1

02-18-2013

I believe back 2~ or so years ago, there was an option to flip the camera. From what I remember hearing they removed that feature because it was counter-intuitive for how the game performed in general in terms of FPS.

Noctes setcoN

02-18-2013

That would make sense, but I'm sure since then they've improved at least a little on game's infrastructure. Would that still be a relevant problem??

angryWelchMan

02-18-2013

I'm honestly confused on this point. How is playing up versus playing down any different? Your both get the same area of the map on the screen and if you shirk the UI to the max (you really dont need to read anything on it) it takes up only like 2 or 3 times the kill total. My question is if the UI is moved how is blue able "to see a more relevant area"? Each way you can see the same length in front of your champion and to the left and right?

Also of both pick order (if your playing draft) and the layout of the jungle there are already plenty of difference between blue and purple in terms of what strats and junglers are viable. This might not make sense now but once you reach 30 it will. So the game naturally creates difference that are more substantial then the camera angle

Noctes setcoN

02-18-2013

The camera is not completely top down, it is angled. Let's say you're blue on bot. The camera will be behind you, pointing lightly in front of you, allowing you to see down the lane. But for purple, the camera will be facing you, and showing down your lane, but the wrong way.

And I didnt mean to say the UI being shrunk would give an advantage to blue, it just wouldnt be enough to help purple.

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

Because... They want to make it harder for Ahri on the top right to aim her ball while the one on the bottom left gets the advantage. :]