I need some help , but im a really bad writer.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rademus

02-18-2013

I was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some tips on how to make a cool story that someone could read and really enjoy and feel like they're there watching it like a movie. I wanna write a story about the day Noxus invaded Ionia, and i would like it to be mostly about Dr. Mundo and his point of view of being called upon to fight for his allied city. Any tips would be helpful, from facts of the battles, to writing tips, to how to keep peoples attention and keep them draw in. Anything would be appreciated ty

Cerubois

02-18-2013

I've got some quick tips off the top of my head, but you might not like them. :P

- Read. Reading expands your knowledge on cool ideas you might be able to use elsewhere, morals that mean something to you, and the process of writing itself. You might find a particular style you want to imitate, or you might find a style you don't want to fall into.

- Research. The lore in League of Legends is actually pretty expansive in the background, and there are many opportunities to include various events and other champions in your story. There were a lot of people either within or affected by the Ionian War that are currently in the League. On a side note, I don't think it's ever mentioned that Dr. Mundo was part of the war. It might have been an interest to him, it might not. I think the hardest part, in my opinion, would be writing from his perspective, seeing how far-gone he's become (then again, he might have been a bit more sane 10-13 years ago).

- Write. Not just this story, but writing in general. A lot of people think anyone can just pick up a pen and write a story. But it is a developed skill, just like any other art. You need to practice, see what works, see what doesn't, analyze yourself and see where you can improve, and yes, take criticism to heart. It's tough, it takes a while, but it's worth it.

I hope you can find what you're looking for in these tips. Writing a book that feels like a movie is probably a lot of writers' intention, just as it is mine. But keep in mind the amount of work you'll need to get to that point. Perfecting description, character motivation and personality, and most of all, flow.
If you want it to be like a movie, you need to ensure it has a rather quick flow, while giving the reader enough information for them to imagine the picture in their head. How you accomplish that is really up to you, but I believe experience is the only way you'll really be able to pull it off.

Good luck!

Zergon II

02-18-2013

I agree 100% with you Cerubois. Reading and writing are extremely important. Both have helped me become a good writer. Research is also a good idea for story based in LoL. Try reading all the champion lores as I did, and look in the wiki for additional information as well. Great answer

Rademus

02-18-2013

Thank you Cerubois i will read up and practice as much as possible.

Dregen

02-18-2013

The best tip I can give you is to follow Cerubois's advice, but also don't be afraid to do two things: Copy others, and be creative. They seem contradictory, right?

Writing is an art, and every writer has to develop their own style. You can't become a good writer unless you study and emulate the best, and you can't become noticed for your "talent" unless you take what you copied and make something new or amazing out of it.

Both can eventually be developed by simply reading a lot and writing a lot, but now you know why