Matchmaking Fails for Normal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

12andom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

This is referring to League of Legends Summoner's Rift Normal games. Games have been one sided all day! If you look at the wins of each side, it is clear that some people should not be matchmaking with others. Typically, the wins are stacked on one side. Not saying it is never balanced, but I think Riot should work on their normal matchmaking algorithms to for better user experience.

example 1:
One of my games, I had one 200 wins, two 300 wins, 800 win and me (800 win) while the other team's lowest was 700 win and the rest 800 and above. It was predetermined who would win right from the start. I did well, but that isn't nearly good enough to offset the skills of each side.

example 2:
My ending score: 5-0-2 (still not strong enough to carry)
Other team was stacked four people above 1000 wins, and one 600 win. My team... well 2x800, 600, 400, 128 wins... Riot matchmaking be derping real hard...

Those are just some losing games, but some winning games are the same too. They have the noob. It just isn't very fun when you are predetermined to win or lose at start (unless you premake some players). I almost want to match history check normal game players, just to get a fun game going.

Thoughts?

Aamon2500

02-18-2013

The amount of wins don't always determine which side will win.

Slashinghardest

02-18-2013

there are diamond players with less then 150 normal wins lol. wins doesn't mean they are skilled and a lack of wins doesn't mean they suck.

Vieryn

02-18-2013

I've noticed it being a little one sided lately too...Either I'm on a team that just wrecks or we get stomped, lately though it's been the latter.
For example my three most recent games went like this
1) our team KD was 2 kills to 32 deaths and we surrendered the second it hit 20 min
2) surrender at probably 25 min in with a team kd of 13 kills to 35 deaths
3) someone on the opposing team was AFK the entire match (since level 1) and my team actually started a surrender vote. We eventually just overwhelmed them but it took way longer than it should've with someone AFK (it didn't help that we had someone who was 0/11)

I'm reallly genuinely not trying to complain or whine. I just want to know what could be going on? Is it just a few bad games or...?

Also, does anyone know how normal matchmaking even works? I've heard a lot of different things and I don't know what's rumor and what's true

Zeraphicus

02-18-2013

I've been running into the same thing lately, my last game (loss)

My team me 275 wins, 146 wins, 386 wins, 710 wins and 710 wins
Vs
1150 wins 1450 wins 710 wins 380 wins and 234 wins.

Needless to say we got stomped, funny thing our 710 win jayce got dominated by a 234 win rumble

12andom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

I agree that wins don't determine skill level, but it is very rare that a platinum player has 150 wins... Not to mention the smurf accounts.

Besides smurfing, it is still a good indicator to game familiarity. Maybe they should take into account your entire LoL game win history. Still more fun when its a good game and not one sided.

SuperiorZephyr

02-18-2013

Since no one else is asking the obvious question i guess i will. All of of you are thinking in terms of there being no "cap" to a players skill and I think it should also be considered that most of the average players learning takes place at the beginning of their gaming career.

The length of learning will be different for everyone but I mean I would say it's realistic for a 200-300 win player to have learned quite a bit. With an average 50% win percentage that's 400-600 games in total which is lots of time to experiment and experience alot of different play styles.

Worst Iee sin

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorZephyr View Post
Since no one else is asking the obvious question i guess i will.
^ made me laugh, u didnt ask a question in your entire post?

also, in draft normals, it only shows normal wins, not ranked; thus someone with low normal wins could have same overall (including ranked) wins as someone with high normals wins and low ranked wins

hue the hippo

02-18-2013

Look at it from this side of the coin...

After putting 1000+ hours into dota 2 I came to try League where the majority of my friends were playing. Seeing as they were all in the 400-1000+ win range I decided I will avoid attempting to play carry role until I was more familiar with the different champions and how their abilities can be manipulated in game.

Throughout my games (still haven't hit the 100 win mark) I primarily played support and have maintained about a 70% win rate in this role.

Now I find I am in the situation where when I solo q I am always the lowest win count in my games, with the majority of people in the 700-1000+ win range (seriously I have not seen someone under 3-400 wins in 30+ solo ques). Makes things a bit frustrating trying to learn new roles (especially trying to learn vlad) when your constantly laned against people with over 5x your win-rate (which may or may not depict their skill but definitely depicts they have more exposure to the game). Now on the bright side of this, I feel I am learning the roles at an expedited rate playing against more challenging opponents that have obviously played them before - so while its frustrating at times there is an upside atleast.

I was originally told that normals take nothing into consideration when matching aside from win count, I simply cannot imagine this being true... if it is, it certainly is not currently working correctly.

angryWelchMan

02-18-2013

I think riot it the last patch (maybe it was the patch before) just started taking wins into consideration as a second factor behind MMR (skill level) so in time of peak traffic this should be less of a problem. Also because this is new their probably still tweaking the formula.
I think everyone can agree that skill lvl should be a greater priority then experince in match making