General QOL Suggestion: Role Squares

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aethiros

02-17-2013

Hey, fellow summoners.

Just wanted to make a small suggestion regarding the champion selection screen. After ten players queue and are called into the champion selection, they have about 90 seconds to choose their champion, mastery, and rune setup. The most important part of this is communication between team mates. People call out roles and lanes as soon as they come enter in hopes that everyone else can do...well...something other than the preferred role.

Herein lies the problem: Everyone has been part of a team where a player locks in immediately without saying anything or can only play one role at level 30 because of some indecipherable reason. This sends the other four players scrambling around. For example, a player who has no idea how to play a tank might feel like he's forced to choose free week Rammus because 'someone has to tank'. What ends up happening is that people will choose roles they have never played, they then won't synergize with the rest of the team, and the chance of your team stumbling and losing skyrockets.

'Can you jungle?'
'Who has a tank?'
'I can't mid.'
'I don't have a support.'

These players will always be around and no one wants to dodge and incur the penalty. I can't say that I have a solution for this; I do, however, have any idea that might lessen the panic and aid communication.

Would it be possible to have small squares to the left of the Champion icon that describe what each player can play? I'm thinking of four squares with the default titles of 'Attack', 'Abilities', 'Support', 'Jungle'. The player would be able to edit, enable, and disable these squares on their Summoner Profile. The player could enable 1-4 of the squares before each match and they would show up on the left of the selected Champion.

The player can edit the text of each square but not the color or image on the square. The text can be changed to whatever they like but preferably, it'd be something like 'Top - AD', 'Support', 'Jungle - AP', 'Mid - AP', 'Mid - AD', 'Assassin - Mid - AP' and so on. Other players can mouse over the image to get the text short description.

The AD square would have a sword, the AP square would have a wand (or some small magic effect), the jungle square would have a bush, and the support square would have an equilateral cross (or a handshake).

Attached is an image depicting where this addition could be placed. I'm aware that it would overlap the 'Picking...' text but I think that could be moved below or above of the squares. After the player locks in, the 'Picking' text vanishes and so would the squares.

I don't know. It would be a pretty small addition but I think it would help. Thoughts? Comments? Constructive criticism?

P.S. I apologize if this isn't the correct forum to post suggestions like this. I checked 'Support' and searched for 'Suggestions' and it didn't address this kind of thing.

SUGE

02-17-2013

Dude, you must be new to the forums. something similair to this idea shows up about once a day, and is met with the typical response of "no, thats a bad idea". Just think about it man, THINK ABOUT THE TROLLS.

Aethiros

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGE View Post
Dude, you must be new to the forums. something similair to this idea shows up about once a day, and is met with the typical response of "no, thats a bad idea". Just think about it man, THINK ABOUT THE TROLLS.
I've been around since the end of 2010 and I haven't seen anything like this. Maybe I did and forgot? Could be a case of cryptomnesia.

Could you expand on the trolls?

Aethiros

02-17-2013

Bump.

Aethiros

02-19-2013

Bump.

Gewcebawcks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2013

Aethiros,

I can agree with the above responder. I myself once posted the idea, and was told the exact same thing, like 2 years ago.

And the above responder is correct. I see this thread created anew once every 2 days, minimum. Each and every time the response is the exact same:

Riot does not want to force any particular roles. This will not be implemented.

Cooperation, level heads, and realizing you will not always get the role you want is the solution.

Aethiros

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewcebawcks View Post
Aethiros,

I can agree with the above responder. I myself once posted the idea, and was told the exact same thing, like 2 years ago.

And the above responder is correct. I see this thread created anew once every 2 days, minimum. Each and every time the response is the exact same:

Riot does not want to force any particular roles. This will not be implemented.

Cooperation, level heads, and realizing you will not always get the role you want is the solution.
Alrighty then. Thanks for the response.

Raptamei

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGE View Post
You didn't even read the original post you retarded idiot.