"Both teams have an equal chance of getting afk's/trolls so matchmaking is balanced."

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Parahawks

02-17-2013

Both teams have an equal chance of getting afk's/trolls so matchmaking is balanced/fair.

Does anyone see the problem with this kind of mentality? People always use it to justify the random factors in solo queue and it use to make sense but in S3, with the new laddering system It just doesn't seem right that such a large gamble is put on 3-5 games.

I noticed this last season but I was able to keep my mouth shut because all it meant was that you had to play a lot of games and eventually your elo would even out because the amount of "free wins" would be closer to 50:50 working for and against you(law of large numbers). However, this season with the introduction of promotion series best of 3 / best of 5 I have to speak out.

The fact that you are saying the word chance implies that we have an element of luck to whatever subject we are referring to. This means that every game we play in we are gambling, Am I going to get a 5v4? Does one my team-mates have to go eat soon? Will it be a projected 5v5? How lucky am I going to get this game?. Now, back in season two this is actually not a big deal. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the law of large numbers which basically says in any large sample size the results will be extremely close to what you expect them to be. Assume we flip a fair coin one thousand times. The smart money says that we are going to get very close to 500 heads 500 tails. If we flip the same coin 100 times It will most likely land 50/50 on heads/tails. However, If we flip the coin 5 times It is not unreasonable to say that It could potentially land on heads 5 times in a row. I hope this starting to set off some red lights.

Now, I used the coin example as an introductory topic. In lol the closer analogy would be a spinner split up into 3 equal sections. green(equal matches), blue(matches in your favor) and red(matches against your favor). Again, in the old ELO system this is 100% fair. If you play a large amount of games 33% of your games will be fair, 33% of your games will work against you and 33% of games would be in your favor. Yet in a small sample of games you could potentially get red 3 times in a row. Even if the green portion of the spinner was larger than the other two sections its still a very large gambit.

So what does this mean? Well, it adds a TON of ladder anxiety. In the old system, If I am one win away from advancing I have no fear at all. If I lose because someone dc'd at the beginning of the game its no big deal because It just means I need to win two in a row in order to advance(not unreasonable) If I lose ten in a row I have to win eleven in a row. In the new system, In the end I only need a net win of one. In the new system, If I am one win away from advancing(last placement) and I lose because someone dc'd then I have to win at least 3 more if I got an immediate restart of the series. The fact that you usually end up around 50 LP after a lost series means that I probably have to win closer to 10 net wins to advance.

Doesn't seem fair to me.

Parahawks

02-17-2013

bump

FreeTeeBags

02-17-2013

mega bump

Tharama

02-17-2013

Yeah it sucks.

Admiral Will

02-17-2013

super mega bump

Bubsay

02-17-2013

super mega ultra bump

Parahawks

02-17-2013

oh boy..

Parahawks

02-17-2013

Not that I don't like these massive bumps but would anyone like to weigh in with their own opinion?

Adumbrax

02-17-2013

#hateseason3

Yuski1

02-17-2013

Sure, I'll weigh in. The past few games I've been playing, have been nothing but other people losing their lanes hard, and I mean incredibly hard. These losses that are unpreventable because you simply can't control another persons character are not fun, but in the old system, at the very least you could shrug it off and hope you don't get that bad luck again. Well, luckily for me, I had that when I was at 0 LP. It demoted me to gold 4 from gold 3, now I need to play 6 games at least to get back up there.