At level 20, why am I matched with level 30s?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HonorableGeneral

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
They exist, and if I lag enough, I end up that way too.

Beginner Ai does react to ganking, just very slowly. Its not that they don't last-hit properly as they don't "last-hit" at all, they simply hit minions.

I've seen a number of players worse than beginner ai since I've started. I understand it from lower levels, but from 30s or people who have 30s, its really sad.
I think part of the reason a lot of 30s tend to have this problem is the perception that try-harding is more important than playing well.

If you put forth more effort, your results will not increase accordingly unless that effort is put forth with well-executed strategy.

Much how pushing on a door that says pull will not yield the desired result (unless you push until you're exhausted and managed to break the door), some players at 30 feel that they are not being compensated for their effort because their effort is wasted on terrible strategies and bad execution of mechanics and tactics.

Yourcatmolested

02-17-2013

Quote:
They exist, and if I lag enough, I end up that way too.

Beginner Ai does react to ganking, just very slowly. Its not that they don't last-hit properly as they don't "last-hit" at all, they simply hit minions.

I've seen a number of players worse than beginner ai since I've started. I understand it from lower levels, but from 30s or people who have 30s, its really sad.
I'm not going to talk about how/why people get banned, since it's not the point of the post.

It's the atrocious skill level of people. I've also seen people worse than the beginner AI. It's really pitiful. Junglers who ALWAYS use the worst angles for ganks (such as running straight up the lane as opposed to flanking), people who just flat out run into 1v3's, people who towerdive with no chance of getting the kill, people who just don't think before making actions.

HonorableGeneral

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshun Bastard View Post
I'm not going to talk about how/why people get banned, since it's not the point of the post.

It's the atrocious skill level of people. I've also seen people worse than the beginner AI. It's really pitiful. Junglers who ALWAYS use the worst angles for ganks (such as running straight up the lane as opposed to flanking), people who just flat out run into 1v3's, people who towerdive with no chance of getting the kill, people who just don't think before making actions.
Regarding the junglers, it is possible that they might be trying to avoid an enemy ward.

Sometimes my team will ping the jungler and tell him to come through lane because the enemy has the brush warded, so coming through lane (if allied minions are pushed) actually provides better cover for a gank.

SeCKS Egai

02-17-2013

Quote:
To anyone who thinks runes don't make a difference, you're clearly wrong. Not going to argue over it.

And telling people that they shouldn't play ranked because they are bad isn't what's ruining the game.

It's the kids who get all pissy because I said that, and who report for absolutely any/everything that are ruining the game.
No one said runes don't make a difference, but that they don't make or break you.

If everyone was good in ranked, most of the community would not qualify.

If you feel the need to insult people instead of focus on what you could have improved upon or done to change the outcome, you are compensating for your own shortcomings by placing blame elsewhere.

I have a smurf for the sake of an experiment I'm documenting to later post. You have a smurf because your main account has been punished.

If you believe tribunal is "unfair" and people report for everything and bans are issued for anything, why are you wasting your time on a smurf? You've been punished, and instead of taking action and making changes to avoid punishment, you're simply leveling another account that's bound to suffer the same fate.

Yourcatmolested

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableGeneral View Post
Regarding the junglers, it is possible that they might be trying to avoid an enemy ward.

Sometimes my team will ping the jungler and tell him to come through lane because the enemy has the brush warded, so coming through lane (if allied minions are pushed) actually provides better cover for a gank.
Oh I completely understand that. I've seen it on pro streams and I've seen it done before, running through the brush in top/bottom lanes until the enemy pushes, but I mean those people that just run straight through the lane, entirely visible, then get killed/get their teammate killed.

HonorableGeneral

02-17-2013

Quote:
Oh I completely understand that. I've seen it on pro streams and I've seen it done before, running through the brush in top/bottom lanes until the enemy pushes, but I mean those people that just run straight through the lane, entirely visible, then get killed/get their teammate killed.
Those sort of junglers are probably inexperienced because jungling doesn't really become viable until 20 (with runes, unless you're playing someone like WW who can do a runeless jungle) and most people are afraid to experiment at level 20 because they're already so comfortable with the other lanes in the game.

Jungling is the position I see a lot of people play badly, and I am included in that statistic (I am an atrocious jungler, thank God I do no rank) because jungling requires mastering an entirely different set of mechanics and rules that do not apply to laning whilst simultaneously being aware of the overall match and map in order to coordinate useful and successful ganks.

Yourcatmolested

02-17-2013

The problem I come across with jungling is people who don't follow up with my ganks. I stand there and ping, let them know, they acknowledge, I go in, then no follow up so I die or narrowly escape.

SeCKS Egai

02-17-2013

Quote:

In low levels, your elo/mmr hasn't normalized, so you're going to see massive skill gaps. My level 30's games are pretty evenly matched for the most part and its more about which team works together better to secure the win. Ultimately you just have to play through hundreds of games for you to be at your proper level, which can ultimately change if you improve or get worse.

The stuff I know from being a season 1 30 isn't something I would ever expect a lower level to know. I didn't even start jungling till level 30 and even now I still learn from experience.

I get your frustration. My second game as a level 3 or 4 I had to carry pretty hard as people were fighting under the enemy turret and dying repeatedly and then complaining that I wasn't helping. I think I ended that game 23/0 while downing several towers and even getting a quad.

But remember, just because you have prior experience doesn't mean they do.

Yourcatmolested

02-17-2013

Quote:
In low levels, your elo/mmr hasn't normalized, so you're going to see massive skill gaps. My level 30's games are pretty evenly matched for the most part and its more about which team works together better to secure the win. Ultimately you just have to play through hundreds of games for you to be at your proper level, which can ultimately change if you improve or get worse.

The stuff I know from being a season 1 30 isn't something I would ever expect a lower level to know. I didn't even start jungling till level 30 and even now I still learn from experience.

I get your frustration. My second game as a level 3 or 4 I had to carry pretty hard as people were fighting under the enemy turret and dying repeatedly and then complaining that I wasn't helping. I think I ended that game 23/0 while downing several towers and even getting a quad.

But remember, just because you have prior experience doesn't mean they do.
I get that, but at level 20, people should have a pretty good grasp of the game by now.

HonorableGeneral

02-17-2013

Quote:
I get that, but at level 20, people should have a pretty good grasp of the game by now.
Depends on how they got to 20. I know friends who got to 20 via all-bot matches. They have no idea what jungling is, they don't react to ganks, they generally are predictable because they've learned to react to bots and not humans, and - most important of all - they are VERY PASSIVE AND AGGRESSIVE SIMULTANEOUSLY.

People who are passive and aggressive at the same time have two opposite problems:

1. They are not aggressive without provocation.
2. When provoked, they become blinded and will suicide-chase enemy champions just to get revenge.

I saw this repeatedly when I made my trek from 20 to 30, and it's something that average/good players eventually grow out of.