Hybrid Katrina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Narvuntien

01-09-2011

Does it work as well against real people as it does against bots?

It has been Kat free week and I have tried her out, Mostly unsuccessfully as pure AP since I am normally a mage player. But I was playing around with hybrid items on a custom game and it worked quite well... although Ryze bot did hurt.

Items I used

Ionian boots.
Malay
Guinesso's Rageblade
Hextech gunblade.
Zhonya hourglass.

LyraOrpheo

01-09-2011

Don't need Ionian boots, Kat's gets her CDR from her passive. Malady is for auto attackers like Teemo or Kog'maw, she is not.

TL Frolo

01-10-2011

no rageblade,
cdr boots are fine because you should have a void staff

gunther2291

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolossus View Post
no rageblade,
cdr boots are fine because you should have a void staff
not necessarily. if youre fighting a team heavy in casters youre better off going merc treads and abyssal sceptor. the survivability and increased damage output to squishies will give you more cd than the boots will.
its mostly situational but i think if you want to utilize kats passive, which provides more cd than the ionian boots, youre better off getting merc treads or sorc boots. the ionian boots would help more in laning but in teamfights the others would be better. switching boots out after laning is ballsy and could work, or it could be a waste of a few hundred gold

Argothman

01-10-2011

Why not just stack gunblades, I think they're pretty cost-effective, although someone should do the math.

Redenbacher

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argothman View Post
Why not just stack gunblades, I think they're pretty cost-effective, although someone should do the math.
Considering Katarina wouldn't make very good use of the Spell Vamp or Lifesteal portions of the Gunblade, and the pieces it builds from are generally bad - I'd say it's not. You're buying it for the AD, and AP - why not just buy items that give you more of those, separately?

EDIT: I'm just going over the gold values now... You could buy a BF Sword, and an NLR for 3450, get 5 more AP, 10 less AD for 175 less gold. For 3625, you get 10 more AD, 5 less AP, a 300 damage active slow, and the (relatively useless) spell vamp and lifesteal. Is that active worth 175 gold? If so, then why not? The main argument I see is that the pieces it builds from are genuinely bad, while the other route gives you those valuable stats NOW.

TL Frolo

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunther2291 View Post
not necessarily. if youre fighting a team heavy in casters youre better off going merc treads and abyssal sceptor. the survivability and increased damage output to squishies will give you more cd than the boots will.
its mostly situational but i think if you want to utilize kats passive, which provides more cd than the ionian boots, youre better off getting merc treads or sorc boots. the ionian boots would help more in laning but in teamfights the others would be better. switching boots out after laning is ballsy and could work, or it could be a waste of a few hundred gold
or you could just get banshees and a negatron

FckMan

Recruiter

01-10-2011

i grab 1% CDR in runes, 9 more in masteries making it 10. grab ionian boots early as possible. thats 25 and head back to mid lane. i have 19 mag pen runes and 15% more in masteries.

AP is good enough for me these days. rylai's, mejais, deathcap, void staff ionian boots, abyssal scepter. had a 19 kill streak, eventually sold the ionian boots for sorc boots since i was killing their 3 squishies with ease. told a ryze to grab abyssal scepter too. i eventually die and my stacks went down to 14, just sold it for an hourglass. i skipped buying BV, when you are on a 19 kill streak, i think you dont need survivability stuff.

gunther2291

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolossus View Post
or you could just get banshees and a negatron
banshees is a good item on her no matter what build you run and negatron is a recipe item for abyssal scepter. youre not going to get either of those items as early as merc treads though so even if what you said was different it wouldnt be comparable

TL Frolo

01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunther2291 View Post
banshees is a good item on her no matter what build you run and negatron is a recipe item for abyssal scepter. youre not going to get either of those items as early as merc treads though so even if what you said was different it wouldnt be comparable
there are literally a dozen or more reasons why you might want to just pick up a negatron before finishing your rylais