What if... Master Yi/Soraka/Galio/Morgana/Maoki(or Zilean/Yorick) Team Comp

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xengre

02-17-2013

This is a thread to discuss the viability of a team comp such as this or a modified comp with the same idea involving Master Yi. I made a similar thread about this some time ago involving Graves due to his passive, but this time it will be Yi.

Why Yi? Well most people know he does the most damage in the game late game, effectively the ultimate damage dealer in LoL. The problem is CC and death inhibit his ability to... kill stuff really really fast.

Solution? Let him build primarily offensive while his teammates build around him similar to a Koggy/Vayne concept. No ranged ADC because this Yi will be covering that role in terms of carry status. Due to his melee nature he would require some form of aid to be successful, hence this team comp.

Galio has one of if not the best survivability skills in the game, with only Black Shield coming even remotely close. This comp would let you have both of them. Factor in Maoki's ult, Soraka's heal/resistance bonuses, and Runic Bulwark he becomes a rather tanky beast. Then you have Black Shield which removes his other flaw... CC. Due to the tanky buffing he would receive Black Shield would quite possibly last its full duration (expectin a few spells tossed at the initiating Galio/Maoki).

Master Yi's Stats Late Game
Armor: Base (83) + Runes Flat/Yellow (12) + Bulwark (90) + Astral Blessing (105) + Runic Bulwark (10) = 300 armor
Mres: Base (53) + Runes Flat/Blue (12) + Bulwark (90) + Concentration (16) + Runic Bulwark (30) = 201 MRes

-20% damage from Maoki's Ult
Black Shield
Possibly take barrier summoner spell
Include heals from Soraka and possibly summoner heal
Add in Morg/Galio AoE CC
Perhaps GA, Warmogs, or QSS/Mercurial Scimitar.
Lifesteal

The resistances would degrade starting at 3 seconds up to 6, but this is quite a bit of time to absorb the initial focus fire. Add in Galio/Morgana ults and time is extended.

It is unlikely that Yi will die, and if he does he has already absorbed a vast amount of their damage for a given team fight and had more then enough time to cripple the opposing team before dying leaving his team to clean up whatever may be left.

Galio, Morg, and Maoki also do very significant damage and much of it is AoE. Add in a rampaging Yi chaining Alpha Strikes (even as AD if he gets 2-4 Alphas in that is some serious extra damage total to a team).

Seems like it may actually make for a hyper carry comp, and arguably... the only one this game will have reasonably ever seen (Vayne/Kog got nothing on this).

What is everyone's thoughts?

EDIT: If Morg is banned she can be swapped with someone else to make him at least tankier or someone like Alistar/Leona. He won't have CC immunity but he still would be exceptionally tanky. At such point Cleanse + QSS may be a very good idea if not mandatory.

EDIT 2: Consider what if Karthus replaced someone on the team (other then Galio)? It would allow for two extremely high damage late game champs, both being different damage types Physical/Magic.

tl;dr Make Yi non-squish via teammate champion abilities/items so he can survive and kill really really fast. Dunk the n00bl0rdz To be honest, I am most interested in seeing plat and above opinions but feel free to offer yours for those that are lower tier since some of you may have great feedback.

Woodenwingz

02-17-2013

kayle + morgana & any hyper carry is unstopable in theory... for few secounds atleast.

InfiniteVoid316

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-17-2013

orianna works better than soraka, and kayle/janna work better than maokai.

also it is possible to replace galio with mordekaiser, but that makes your initiation a lot weaker.

Kamadora Mitula

02-17-2013

so basically u got 4 people supporting 1 hero....

If i saw this comp, i would totally run an Olaf, Janna, MF, Kassadin, and Cho'Gath, let's see ur team comp handle that fluster cuck

InfiniteVoid316

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-17-2013

by the way, i have actually tried this before, but instead of using master yi as the hypercarry, we used olaf and focused on movement speed increases along with the shields instead of magic immunity.

the main problem is figuring out who goes bottom lane. whoever does will have a pretty tough lane.

Xengre

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenwingz View Post
kayle + morgana & any hyper carry is unstopable in theory... for few secounds atleast.
I forgot about Kayle, good point. Yeah... conveniently Yi only needs a few seconds unhindered and not being... dead late game to make it completely worthwhile. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteVoid316 View Post
orianna works better than soraka, and kayle/janna work better than maokai.

also it is possible to replace galio with mordekaiser, but that makes your initiation a lot weaker.
Glad Kayle was mentioned in this thread because I forgot about her as I was kinda tired last night.

I considered Orianna, but decided to go with Soraka due to the multiple heals and very strong armor resistance buff (since this would be his main competition late game). It is potentially worth while, but I felt Soraka to be the better fit.

Galio is there due to the strong initiation and because he can pull aggro with his ult off Yi giving him some time for free hits. Those were secondary reasons, atctually. The primary reason is his immense survivability buff form Bulwark 90 armor/mres for a solid duration.

I don't think Janna is good enough for this particular setup unless she has a very significant amount of AP... which she won't since Morg and Galio are the primary AP here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteVoid316 View Post
by the way, i have actually tried this before, but instead of using master yi as the hypercarry, we used olaf and focused on movement speed increases along with the shields instead of magic immunity.

the main problem is figuring out who goes bottom lane. whoever does will have a pretty tough lane.
I believe the resistances are important to reduce thornmail counters and make Black Shield last longer thus granting CC immunity (one of his biggest weaknesses and the only way to actually counter this strat if team works well together). Shields can only do so much late game vs other ADC and physical damage champs, especially when used on a champ with no resistances. Yi already would sit at full HP due to the mass dmg reduction and lifesteal from his insane hits anyways. This is what I figured, at least.

Yi is strong in the laning phase, and if need be can go 1/2x Doran Ring early game before transitioning into AD to help his lane phaese. The role of bottom is to farm as much as possible. Yi is by a large margin the best farmer in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamadora Mitula View Post
so basically u got 4 people supporting 1 hero....

If i saw this comp, i would totally run an Olaf, Janna, MF, Kassadin, and Cho'Gath, let's see ur team comp handle that fluster cuck
Well since Olaf would be doing 340 true damage which would be instantly healed up by Yi's next auto or two late game... and the rest of the damage is immensely nerfed during the protection period... and he can run through Janna ult, Kass Silence/Slow, Cho's CC, and MF all while dunking them and being virtually invulnerable due to mass resistances/shields/heals/lifesteal... I predict a game winning dunks from half court by Master Yi. Yeah, he can dunk from there.

FalconPawwwwnch

02-17-2013

This actually used to be the thing to do years back, except it was with twitch. Old twitch would destroy entire teams during his ult's duration, factor in kayle and morgana help he'd be unstoppable. I know old jax used to be able to do this as well. It could work against certain comps yea. The only problem would be getting yi farmed, as the jungle is really hard to get the amount of farm he needs

Schtauffenz

02-17-2013

I call this strat king-maker (if you played MTG:EDH/commander you might also know it as Voltron).

CW just tried it with Kha and it failed, but I think the premise has lots of promise.

Lulu, Kayle, Morgana, Janna, and Orianna all accent this playstyle (as well as others.)

Personally, I think Lulu should be a shoe in because of her Ult being so crazy, but Janna gives them free AD as well (as well as movement passive). Kayle is for the saves, tho I think shen could do that well and offers split push capabilities. Orianna has another awesome shield... so many possibilities.

Ahri Main

02-17-2013

a big problem with it is that your only damage is Yi to be honest, and he's mele, black shield does get rid of All CC he may have been hit with but he will still undoubtebly get focused and blown up. the buffs / shield wont be enough to stop him from getting focused by 5 people it's not so much of a good base heal on meditate i think its like 700 at rank 5? you might be able to pull it off in normals but i doubt in a decent team 5v5 it would be viable.

Xengre

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconPawwwwnch View Post
This actually used to be the thing to do years back, except it was with twitch. Old twitch would destroy entire teams during his ult's duration, factor in kayle and morgana help he'd be unstoppable. I know old jax used to be able to do this as well. It could work against certain comps yea. The only problem would be getting yi farmed, as the jungle is really hard to get the amount of farm he needs
I actually intended for Yi to go bot since he has such a strong lane presence and to replace the ranged ADC since it would not be necessary for this setup. Since he is so great at farming this would resolve that issue, and if need be 1-2 doran rings at start to help his sustain + his support Soraka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtauffenz View Post
I call this strat king-maker (if you played MTG:EDH/commander you might also know it as Voltron).

CW just tried it with Kha and it failed, but I think the premise has lots of promise.

Lulu, Kayle, Morgana, Janna, and Orianna all accent this playstyle (as well as others.)

Personally, I think Lulu should be a shoe in because of her Ult being so crazy, but Janna gives them free AD as well (as well as movement passive). Kayle is for the saves, tho I think shen could do that well and offers split push capabilities. Orianna has another awesome shield... so many possibilities.
Lulu might work as well, but I don't think she would make as good a choice vs Soraka who will give him more effective health through her heals and resistances + healing her team. That said, there are several champs who could make some interesting points: Yorick, Zilean, Lulu, Janna, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSharkx0 View Post
a big problem with it is that your only damage is Yi to be honest, and he's mele, black shield does get rid of All CC he may have been hit with but he will still undoubtebly get focused and blown up. the buffs / shield wont be enough to stop him from getting focused by 5 people it's not so much of a good base heal on meditate i think its like 700 at rank 5? you might be able to pull it off in normals but i doubt in a decent team 5v5 it would be viable.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't say Morgana and Galio are going to do low damage, Maoki either. As for being blown up... Were talking about 300 armor and 201 mres before taking into account any items from Yi (warmogs which drastically enhances effectiveness of those resistances, QSS/GA/etc.). Even if we excluded those items he would be very very very tanky to the point he can't be burst down instantly. Then you have black shield which means no CC... so he can lifesteal. I'm not sure... have you ever seen what lifesteal can do on champs such as Yi, Fiora, and Sion? If he is taking hardly any damage and not CC'd he is going to be at full hp most likely that entire time late game.

Since you mention meditate... look at it as having AP Yi with meditate going, but instead your healing is based off extreme damage resulting in sick lifesteal + ASPD and you can actually attack and be offensive during that pseudo meditate period. I would not suggest using the skill meditate with this strat in a fight. Capitalize on this moment.