Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Punish Vs. Pardon

Punish 5 33.33%
Pardon 10 66.67%
Voters 15 .

Foreign language report??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drp266666

02-17-2013

ok i play on the NA(north america) server and some of the things that come across my tribunal report are in languages other than English. I can understand if it was french for parts of Canada or Spanish for parts down south... but the generally accepted language for NA is English. Also considering this is a teamwork based game the language barrier is a problem sometimes. So Ive been voting punish for people who play the whole game using another language especially when the English speakers ask for them to stop... i was wondering if im being unreasonable and i should just hit skip or if what im doing is right.

Feedback??

Xianio

02-17-2013

I encourage you to look up a map of North America.

What you will find are several countries with primary/secondary languages including English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

Simply because NA is "normally" english speaking does not mean that all other languages are against the rules - they're just less common. This is not the "English" server. It is the NA server. That's inclusive of other languages.

You should not be punishing people for using another language.

Shelzin

02-17-2013

Quote:
Drp266666:
ok i play on the NA(north america) server and some of the things that come across my tribunal report are in languages other than English. I can understand if it was french for parts of Canada or Spanish for parts down south... but the generally accepted language for NA is English. Also considering this is a teamwork based game the language barrier is a problem sometimes. So Ive been voting punish for people who play the whole game using another language especially when the English speakers ask for them to stop... i was wondering if im being unreasonable and i should just hit skip or if what im doing is right.

Feedback??

I encourage you do do whatever it is that you feel is right to do. I won't be doing the same, but that's because it doesn't bother me.

Xeones

02-17-2013

Depends, if I see the person in question use english, typically to taunt the person asking for communication, I hit punish. If they never speak english the entire match I give them benefit of the doubt and say they don't know english.

Drp266666

02-17-2013

Quote:
Xianio:
I encourage you to look up a map of North America.

What you will find are several countries with primary/secondary languages including English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

Simply because NA is "normally" English speaking does not mean that all other languages are against the rules - they're just less common. This is not the "English" server. It is the NA server. That's inclusive of other languages.

You should not be punishing people for using another language.

i understand that there are different languages in NA but this is a primarily English speaking game. if your going to play a game where 80+% of the people use English you should probably learn it... not to mention the fact that i know for a fact in Europe they teach english as a second language in grammar school... also idk of anywhere in NA they use Portuguese

Kinvaras666

02-17-2013

Unless you find in the ToS that you have to speak english to play this game, then you are just a racist butthurt person.

Besides, if that ever was in the ToS, Riot would be the racist ones and they would face too many lawsuits.

So, it is not happening.

Ai Bang Mai Ni

02-17-2013

Lol portuguese in NA. Hilarious. No that is brazilian scum ruining games getting ppl banned

Nevon

02-17-2013

If I can't understand it I just skip. Sometimes it's obvious trolling which I punish, but usually it's not.

Kinvaras666

02-17-2013

Quote:
Ai Bang Mai Ni:
Lol portuguese in NA. Hilarious. No that is brazilian scum ruining games getting ppl banned

Portuguese is a language.

Besides, you have anything against brazilian people?
That's funny, because compared to your post, my english is much better.

How does one "get people banned"? The only way to do that, is reporting toxic people, so you were toxic in first place, the blame is yours, not on the brazilian person that reported you.

Xianio

02-17-2013

Quote:
i understand that there are different languages in NA but this is a primarily English speaking game. if your going to play a game where 80+% of the people use English you should probably learn it... not to mention the fact that i know for a fact in Europe they teach english as a second language in grammar school... also idk of anywhere in NA they use Portuguese

The fact of the matter is that English is not a pre-req. to play the game. If it was I would agree, but it isn't. Therefore, no rules are being broken. Ultimately, if you're allowed to mute everyone on your team (you are) then you're allowed to speak another language.

The problem is that many in NA are very xenophobic. If you approach non-English speakers by saying "I only speak english guys, if you need something from me you'll have to use pings." You'll find that most will switch to English pretty readily. It's when people approach people with hostility as if they're some sort of authority that you run into issues. "English only!" for example is the fastest way to get into a fight. Why? Because it's not a rule and the guy saying it don't have any authority.

That's why reporting people for speaking another language isn't a good idea. If Riot ever says "NA is for English speakers" then I'll gladly change my stance.