Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Better to know a lot of champions in one role, or a couple of champs in all roles?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ronaldo

02-16-2013

That is my dilemma right now, I am a mid player and I am starting to widen my champion pool. I am level 29 so I don't have a lot of champions right now. Up to this point have mainly been buying AP mid champions, with the exception of a few champs like Jayce which I can play both top and mid. So now that I am nearing 3150 IP and have been saving up my 3k RP for a while, I am wondering if I should starting learning some new roles like ADC, jungler, or becoming a better top laner. I play top lane if mid is taken, but I usually play and AP top, like Elise. So what does you guys think I should do, buy a champion for a different role, or broaden my AP mid champions (I currently have like 10ish AP champs)

SirWhaley

02-16-2013

Playing everything. You'll understand the game as a whole much better.

JewFish121

02-16-2013

Quote:
SirWhaley:
Playing everything. You'll understand the game as a whole much better.

yeah it will also take you 5 times longer to advance in anything...

t3hep1cf47m4n

02-16-2013

you want to know atleast 2 champions in every role.

Crunchez

02-16-2013

Learn EVERY roles and master one or two.. nothing more annoying than people who only call 1 role every single games no matter what the team is looking like...

Support teached me alot about decisions making and map awarness while top teached me how to control/freeze/bully a lane and ward in a 1v1 situation in a way my lane is a waste of time to gank...

Jungle teached me the ''timings of the games'' (what I mean by this is when ganks usually happen/ennemies jungles routes and dragons/barons steal..WHICH WON ME MANY GAMES)...

Adc carry will teach you to position yourself well (which take alot of time to learn well... reasons why there is so many bad adc who dont even know it) ... Every roles you learn make you a more complet player... My 2 cents

Then try to learn as many champs in the roles you seem to play alot... always auto locking kat mid is the worst idea ever even if you know you are the best kat north of your little town xD... I honestly prefer to play with players that can fill everything ok but arent godlikes at 1 role and throw games when he cant get it :/

Keatonfox

02-16-2013

I was in your spot a couple of months ago - just hit 30 and only ever played ADC. I've been working on branching out with at least one champ in every role, and I really feel like learning the ins and outs of each of those roles has in turn made me a better ADC, because it's then easier to put yourself in the shoes of your teammates and know what they're probably expecting/planning. Likewise, it helps you know how to counter each of those roles after having your own day ruined in that position. In fact, I've actually discovered that I enjoy Jungling far more than ADC, but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gotten over the fear of trying it out.

Just my experience, though.

Ronaldo

02-16-2013

I never thought of it like that, it makes sense that if learn all the roles then I can have a better understanding of the game. Thanks for the advice guys.

Crunchez

02-16-2013

Quote:
JewFish121:
yeah it will also take you 5 times longer to advance in anything...

Maybe you are right... But at low ranks solo queus I prefer being the one who try to make up for the bad choices of others...

Pythonhier

02-16-2013

Actually other then learning alot of champions of one role. Or learning one champ for each role. You should learn around 2-5 champions of each role. That way it can broaden your knowledge of the game. Learn what champions are stronger then others, in different areas. Also discover different counters to other champions.

Good luck on your games Summoner!

GodSpeed!

Still Eternity

02-16-2013

You want to, at some point, play every single champion at least once, just to get a sense of how they work.

Ultimately, you want to KNOW how to play every role, and be able to play at least 2 Champions for every role, but you definately want a "focus". If you like mid the best, try to get that as often as you can, while still doing other roles when you have to. I've found it pretty easy to simply go,

"Would like *insert role* / If it's okay"

That way, you let people know what you want, and don't come off as a jerk who just goes "mid" or "top". 9 times out of 10 you'll get your role, but for those times you don't, don't freak out! Time to branch out and play what's left! Now you can work on all the roles in the game, while still focusing on your main role, and without even having to have any rage to deal with.