I Wasn't Aware This Game Was Rated E for Everyone

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ext3rmin8or

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDi View Post
Actually it is legal due to the "clickwrap" that exists when the game is installed or patched.

But it's covered in the ToU:
Ninja'd. I can agree to as many game TOS's as I like and any clauses within said TOS's that are not legal don't apply. Obviously clauses that are actually lawful will apply, such as "You will not reverse engineer the game." See my previous post(s)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasterTerranort

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext3rmin8or View Post
Firstly, I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the car analogy. Secondly, pressing "Agree" on a contract that says "You agree that we can take away what you payed for" doesn't mean that taking away a product or products that I paid for (Theft) magically becomes legal just because I pressed a button.
It does because you agree that you are only renting all the content you are buying. Would you sue for theft if League closed and you could never get access to anything you bought with RP?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exploding Barrel

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext3rmin8or View Post
Ninja'd. I can agree to as many game TOS's as I like and any clauses within said TOS's that are not legal don't apply. Obviously clauses that are actually lawful will apply, such as "You will not reverse engineer the game." See my previous post(s)
You just don't understand what is and isn't legal. Definition of ownership is the most elementary, legal thing contracts do.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext3rmin8or View Post
It's not exactly legal. Just because it's in the TOS doesn't give Riot the right to commit theft.
'owned' is in quotation marks there because the poster is aware it is an inaccurate word to use. You do not own those things, riot does. Maybe 'attached to' would be a little closer to the mark, but he didn't feel like mincing words on the matter.

Ultimately though, the things on the account, belong to Riot. The account itself also belongs to Riot. The RP on the account belongs to Riot. Riot can revoke your ability to access the account, or its content, at any time, for any reason. It is not *theft* because those things are not yours.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qichin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext3rmin8or View Post
Amen to this. No matter what any Rioter has previously stated, there should never be any bans for language or verbal abuse in games that have a built in language filter and mute button. (The filter is on by default, I might add. This means that in order to even see uncensored offensive language, one must consciously and knowingly make the decision to turn the filter off. The notion that someone can knowingly and willingly turn the filter off and then still be allowed to report and ban people for verbal abuse that they themselves made the decision to be able to see, is ****ing absurd.)
You are confusing swear words, which the filter takes care of, and verbal abuse, which is something completely different. Your point on the filter is moot, because as Riot has stated, swear words are not punishable per se, it's the intent with which they are used (same with any other word, really).


And Riot has stated that the mute button is a last resort. The mute button is essentially just sticking your head into the ground, a band-aid that doesn't actually do much. The root problem is still a jerk in games who annoys others so much that they need to use the mute button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
We're not going to remove features from our game because certain players are jerks and choose to abuse them.

We will not remove chat because someone would use it to harass and annoy other players. Instead we would remove the jerk.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NinjaYoda

Junior Member

02-16-2013

Ok...this makes my balls hurt...to the guy that defended me and is now trying to attempt to pose legality by pressing buttons or whatever the hell you're saying, you're wrong. It's justified to do whatever Riot wishes because you pressed that button. It is national law.

My argument isn't one of legality, I'm posing the argument that implemented devices to help the players experience should be taken advantage of, not a report button to cease a person's playing entirely. The argument made earlier about "I ignore you and report you so my friends won't have to deal with you"..if your friends aren't logically capable of pressing the same button you did, why are they playing a game with such mechanics?

No matter what spin you want to throw into it, the game has a flaw when it comes to verbal anise and what is or is not worthy of a ban. In my 10+ years of online play, I have not encountered such a game with the lack of personal responsibility this game holds. When I suck, I want to be told I suck. Hardly anywhere in life is verbal abuse absent, especially in the workforce. Why should a game originally drained for a mature audience be any different?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasterTerranort

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYoda View Post
Ok...this makes my balls hurt...to the guy that defended me and is now trying to attempt to pose legality by pressing buttons or whatever the hell you're saying, you're wrong. It's justified to do whatever Riot wishes because you pressed that button. It is national law.

My argument isn't one of legality, I'm posing the argument that implemented devices to help the players experience should be taken advantage of, not a report button to cease a person's playing entirely. The argument made earlier about "I ignore you and report you so my friends won't have to deal with you"..if your friends aren't logically capable of pressing the same button you did, why are they playing a game with such mechanics?

No matter what spin you want to throw into it, the game has a flaw when it comes to verbal anise and what is or is not worthy of a ban. In my 10+ years of online play, I have not encountered such a game with the lack of personal responsibility this game holds. When I suck, I want to be told I suck. Hardly anywhere in life is verbal abuse absent, especially in the workforce. Why should a game originally drained for a mature audience be any different?
Would you like Riot to manually deal with all bans?

Riot who has said several times that they are 10x more strict as the Tribunal and would permaban people a lot faster and a lot more often if it were just up to them.

Riot who has said several times that the behavior you are trying to defend is unacceptable no matter what.

Do you really want this?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NinjaYoda

Junior Member

02-16-2013

Black and white is better than gray.

Stricter rules would eliminate the reason for many to play at all. I'm lol with this as one of the verbally aggressive players. It wouldn't give me reason to invest 4+ years into a game only to suddenly have issues with my mouth when it hasn't changed since season one.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ext3rmin8or

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYoda View Post
Ok...this makes my balls hurt...to the guy that defended me and is now trying to attempt to pose legality by pressing buttons or whatever the hell you're saying, you're wrong. It's justified to do whatever Riot wishes because you pressed that button. It is national law.
Sorry, the thread got sidetracked into talking about the TOS a few bages back xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYoda View Post
My argument isn't one of legality, I'm posing the argument that implemented devices to help the players experience should be taken advantage of, not a report button to cease a person's playing entirely. The argument made earlier about "I ignore you and report you so my friends won't have to deal with you"..if your friends aren't logically capable of pressing the same button you did, why are they playing a game with such mechanics?

No matter what spin you want to throw into it, the game has a flaw when it comes to verbal anise and what is or is not worthy of a ban. In my 10+ years of online play, I have not encountered such a game with the lack of personal responsibility this game holds. When I suck, I want to be told I suck. Hardly anywhere in life is verbal abuse absent, especially in the workforce. Why should a game originally drained for a mature audience be any different?
Completely agree, especially with the bolded.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exploding Barrel

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYoda View Post
Ok...this makes my balls hurt...to the guy that defended me and is now trying to attempt to pose legality by pressing buttons or whatever the hell you're saying, you're wrong. It's justified to do whatever Riot wishes because you pressed that button. It is national law.

My argument isn't one of legality, I'm posing the argument that implemented devices to help the players experience should be taken advantage of, not a report button to cease a person's playing entirely. The argument made earlier about "I ignore you and report you so my friends won't have to deal with you"..if your friends aren't logically capable of pressing the same button you did, why are they playing a game with such mechanics?

No matter what spin you want to throw into it, the game has a flaw when it comes to verbal anise and what is or is not worthy of a ban. In my 10+ years of online play, I have not encountered such a game with the lack of personal responsibility this game holds. When I suck, I want to be told I suck. Hardly anywhere in life is verbal abuse absent, especially in the workforce. Why should a game originally drained for a mature audience be any different?
You're right that few if any other games have been as strict as this one. There are a couple reasons:

- Other games don't lock you into interaction with 9 other people for 30+ minutes. Most other genres of multiplayer games are either 1v1 (starcraft) or drop in/out at your leisure (CoD, TF2, etc). The MOBA genre is young and very different, and each player's experience is far more intensely impacted by the other players than in any other type of game.

- The internet's a pretty objectively terrible place. Anonymity and an audience lead people to act like they know they could never get away with in real life. Little has been done to fight that culture. But it's becoming an increasing trend to do something about it. Youtube encourages you to sign up with your real name and soon will require it, in an attempt to reduce the toxicity of the comments. And Riot holds a high standard for interaction with other gamers. It's a push that the most successful businesses are making and I think you'll see they won't be alone in the near future. If you don't like it, I'm sure the dark corners of the internet like 4chan will always continue to exist.

I don't know what "workforce" you find yourself in, but the vast majority of people would never act in real life like the behavior you are defending. If the people in your life treat you that way, get away from them. That doesn't mean you should treat others the same way.