@Riot, can we actually talk about Janna?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fugis

02-28-2013

its the range on her ult thats the problem, she doesnt knock people out of dash range, and everyone dashes

Splinterheart

02-28-2013

Ooooh, as a Janna main this makes me happy Wonder what nerf they're reversing...

Riot Sotere

Game Analyst

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
preferably the one that says she loses the AD buff when the shield breaks

If they undo that, and Taric gets nerfed a bit, Janna becomes 1st pick worthy.

Hellioning

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We're going to be giving Janna a little love, likely undoing one of the nerfs. Statikk will have details when it's done
Woo!

I still play her occasionally, but right now, everything she can do, another support can do better, so if you're going from a pure gameplay perspective, there's no reason to pick her. I'd be perfectly fine if she becomes 'the disengage support' or 'the really fast support'; I just want a reason to pick her besides 'I like playing her'.

Tobasco da Gama

02-28-2013

I don't know why everyone is hating on Janna lately, she's still an incredibly strong support.

Untold Truths

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscious Lenny View Post
wow janna is fine wtf she is still op

Not sure if troll or just made they couldn't catch her....for like 5 minutes of run around the map...

Afflictid

02-28-2013

Quote:
We're going to be giving Janna a little love, likely undoing one of the nerfs. Statikk will have details when it's done
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I loved Janna, but she's so bad right now...

Vixsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2013

Yay!

ChocoKelly

02-28-2013

Quote:
This is GOD.

Apollinarius

02-28-2013

I used to main Janna. Playing her was what got me into ranked in the first place. Her Tempest skin is what got me to buy RP for the first time (it went on sale a week after I bought it).

A good year later... I still think Janna is good. Is she the best support? No. Is she a good niche pick? Yes. Do I play her much anymore? No, because my playstyle has become more aggressive. I could never play Soraka because of how passive she is, and Janna used to be my go-to support. As I became more aggressive, Janna no longer fit in my comfort zone.

I've always felt that the Eye of the Storm change was a bug fix. I was shocked to learn that breaking the shield did not remove the damage. For the record, breaking the shield also removes Black Shield's effect. Morgana is another support I pick now over Janna. You need to look again at the shield behavior across champions.

It removes the effect on Shen (personal), Janna, Morgana, Sion. It does not remove the effect on champions that have another agent associated with the shield - Orianna's ball armor, Shen's ultimate teleport, Lulu's Pix damage.

Perhaps Janna is weak if you take into account what her shield does for damage mitigation and addition. The nerf to doubletap Q was harsh. The nerf to W slow duration was massive because that was her only real peel skill.

My biggest problem with Riot's changes to Janna is that they nerfed her ultimate and then reduced its mana cost to compensate, without touching the cooldown. To me, that would have been the same as reducing Karthus ult scaling to .2 from .6 and cut base damage by 20% because well, it's strong. Then they lower the mana cost a little and expect Karthus players to think that it's the same as before. Ultimates are supposed to be game-changing, especially such long cooldown ones. Janna's got the short end of the stick because it was really good in the hands of a capable player. It had the Olaf problem where a pro player would dominate with it, but solo queue was mostly unable to take advantage.

Olaf now has a 40% winrate on lolking. Janna has over 53%, putting it above every support other than Taric who is insanely OP and will be nerfed to oblivion next patch. Keep that in mind when you complain about Janna's power. She has a higher winrate than Sona. Here are the only champions that have a higher winrate than Janna:
Taric
Tryndamere
Rumble
Singed
Amumu
Miss Fortune
Twisted Fate
Kayle
Hecarim
Xin Zhao
Garen

Janna is strong, in part because the S3 changes made her passive stronger than before. She now gives everyone on her team the 21 point talent in utility mastery. If there was a champion who gave the 21 point talent of the defense of offense tree as a global passive, would you complain about his low power?