'Division Hell' guide by S2 elo 1200, S3 Platinum player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slippers

02-16-2013

Hey guys. Slippers here.
Everywhere I go, I see people complaining "I'm stuck in elo hell because my teammates always feed, I win my lane but I still lose everytime". "Ranked is all about luck".

This is completely untrue.

To test, I have been smurfing on a friend's account who was stuck in the very bottom of Silver 5, and I managed to carry it up to Silver 4 the same day from 9 consecutive win streaks.
I've even played a champion that I've never played before (Draven) and stomped the enemy team, even when our Fiora dced 15 minutes before the game ended and turned out to be a 4v5.

To check out my past footages of smurfing (or live streaming), check out this link:
http://www.twitch.tv/slipperslol
(I'm Korean so I listen to K-pop xD)

I'm ranked Platinum 5, and I was a 1200 elo player in season 2.

Now, before I get into detail on some tips and tricks that I've used to break myself loose, I just wanted to mention that I'm not trying to show off. I think this community can be a wonderful place. I've met many people that are really nice. However, being stuck in low elo can be painfully devastating. After all, not only do un-skilled players dwell there, but it's the home of 12 year old trolls.

But I've climbed up, so have many other players. And this is my wisdom and insight on how I escaped. I'll answer some frequently asked questions.

1. Everyone's flaming me for one mistake I made? No one wants to speak in queue?

In queue, In game. Communicate with your team. Call your role, try to fill empty roles up by nicely asking others, or doing so yourself. In game, YOU have to be the one to take charge. Even if you aren't jungling, YOU call Dragon, YOU call towers. Low elo players are like zombies- they know they are farming, killing / getting killed, but they don't know what to do afterwards. Map objectives are so important. In low elo, I see so many unskilled players going for baron, when they could've finished the game with ease, then get baron stolen, aced, and lose the game. Be smart about pushing, or taking objectives. Take dragon whenever it's up. Even if your supporter won't ward it, buy a pink ward and ward it yourself. Call your team to group up and push together. Chances are, enemy laners will be busy farming their lanes you would make it all the way to their inhibitor with ease.

Is someone flaming you? Unless it's constructive criticism, don't even bother replying. Just press the 'MUTE' button. Don't even say "Muted blah blah blah cant take your bs". Because that's feeding the troll. Typing back and even reading those nonsense is a waste of your time. Press mute button, done.

2. Best role for ranked?

The opinion varies for this question. However, I prefer playing ADC in low elo queue. Here are several reasons why:

a) Nothing carries harder than a well-fed and well-played ADC lategame.
b) It's low elo queue. Assume everyone is bad. Due to this factor, being at a botlane 2v2 means that you have twice the chance to get fed off of an idiot enemy carry, or support, maybe even both.
c) Being the carry, people will listen to you. You must sound confident, and intelligent. Sometimes, using proper grammar and capitalizations can help you out.

3. I watch streams and look up builds, why am I still bad?

People think being elo boosted to Gold will finally give them the chance to shine because they always win in lane, but lose the game because other lanes fed. However, you have to think: You got fed off of other Bronze / Silver players like yourself, and chances are, you won't get fed off of Gold players. You're only better than others in your division, not the entire game. This is why watching streams is a terrible idea. You don't know what these platinum / diamond players are doing. You have no idea why they are going for dragon. "WHY ARE THEY GOING RUMBLE MID?" These guys know their team comps and how each other's strengths / weaknesses will cover for each other. Also, even if you understood how these plays / builds were set up and played out, will other players in your team be able to do the exact same thing? Let's say you were jungling, and you did a diamond-skill tier dive against the enemy mid laner in a bronze game. If your mid laner followed up, you would've lived and gotten the kill easily. However, your mid laner was just farming creeps as you did your heroic dive. You'll blame the mid laner for being a noob, but you're the one at fault also. You commenced a dive with a noob mid laner that wouldn't follow up. Don't play so risky.

4. Are there trolls in Gold+?

This was a Platinum ranked game. I just decided to afk in base and Facebook my friends.

*******http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9966/leagueoflegends20130213.png********

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FlowyS

02-16-2013

I like the part in taking charge. Most of the time, people are quite shy about that and they won't have a sense of direction.

Hirumonogatari

02-16-2013

i like the guide, i have a request.

i'd be more than happy to take charge if i could have some guide to making these decisions. or just some rough guidelines. like you said, sometimes the right decision is to push to win rather than baron, while at other times it is the complete opposite. i wouldn't like to make calls that throw the game.

hoping you could give some guidance in this matter.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

@ CSZHUNG:
When you have a mental count of where each enemy champion is, and how far they are from your current objective, go for it.
Going for dragon seems smart. Going for dragon when you have no clue where 3 or more enemy champions are is NOT. With Baron, it's similar. Going for Baron is usually safe when you have one or two champions alive/nearby than the enemy does. Any MORE than that, and you should be pushing down lanes. At least, that's how I think about it. Vision is definitely the defining factor in this.

Slippers

02-16-2013

NOTE: The following is only from my experience of dominating in low divisions, this gamestyle doesn't work if you are losing / in higher division brackets.

When I play AD carry in low divisions, I feast on the enemy carry / support for about 15 minutes. It gives me enough time to farm up and get 4 kills on each of them. (After 4 deaths, unless you have gotten a kill, you are not worth gold when killed). By then, I'll have a bloodthirsters, possibly my Zeal. Somewhere between those first 15 minutes, I would've called my mid laner / jungler down to take dragon. As a botlaner, you always want to take dragon IF:

Enemy mid laner is dead&recalled / roaming to top
Enemy jungler is dead&recalled / roaming to top
Bot lane is dead&recalled / AND NOT HAVE WARDS (Pink ward dragon all the time!)

Dragon spawns every 6 minutes it is slayed, and the 190g global gold isn't something to be looked down upon. It creates a massive advantage, but the lower elo players find it a less of a priority. Abuse the dragon. When you take dragon, you need 1 pink ward and 2 regular wards to be safe.

Pink ward goes right at the dragon pit: to clear enemy wards. One of the regular wards go to the red/blue buff spawn that is closest to the enemy team's fountain (If you're on the purple team, ward blue team's red. If you're on the blue team, ward enemy team's blue.) Then, ward the mid lane bush to care for incoming mid laner / jungler. Taking the dragon must be swift: and you must disengage if the enemy team comes to fight with you with full hp, while you are low from attempting dragon. However, baiting dragon is always another great option. If you wish to attempt this, you must already be at a lead, though. Or else you'll get wiped!

Around the 15 minute mark, I head over to mid after destroying my bot tower. Chances are, the enemy bot lane will stay and attempt to destroy your tower. Don't stop them, just push mid. Pushing the mid tower is great because:

1. Mid laners tend to be very squishy, and have no escapes. This is why they go mid: The lane is relatively short compared to others and is easier (but not always) to escape from ganks. If their tower is gone, their safety zone is pushed WAYYY far back into their tier 2 tower which allows our midlaner to free farm while he stays back, afraid of the jungler / top / bot ganking him.

2. Your jungler will be able to escape easy from counter jungling the enemy and free roam the enemy jungle.

Taking towers before the enemy does means you get global gold before the enemy does, putting you ahead. However, just ruthlessly attacking towers early game is stupid and pointless because you'll get ganked without a doubt. Find a balance. Once you think "ah, I'm satisfied with all these kills and farm I have time to go seek for other fights and towers", then you can push it in.

When you ace the enemy team, always press 'TAB' on your keyboard to see how long it will take for them to respawn. If you have inhibitors pushed already, might as well finish the game. However, let's say you were at the inhibitor tower and you aced them. Should you baron, or try to finish?
In this case, I recommend taking the inhibitor, warding baron, and backing off. Enemy team can respawn in time to STEAL your baron or counter rush baron. Therefore, it's good to give your self and your teammates enough time to heal, get items, and run back into the field. Acing + inhibitor already put you at a huge advantage. Chances are, you will ace them again. However, if you feel that you don't have enough of an advantage / power because it was such a close game, thats when you should baron.

Hope it helped, feel free to ask more questions!

SeCKS Egai

Recruiter

02-17-2013

Everything sounded very logical - except the bit about you afking in base to facebook.

Slippers

02-17-2013

Well, the thing is, having a troll on your team can be very frustrating. There are the verbal abusive trolls, and intentional feeding trolls. Verbal abuse can be blocked by simply muting them, but it's impossible to carry / win a game 4v6 when you have a player like the Skarner I was playing with (He stacked 4 kindlegems and rushed into turrets). When things like that happen, I don't even bother flaming the troll, or asking him to stop. I just take a break from league and cool my head. I mean, 15 league points doesn't mean anything, it's pointless to get hot headed. Might as well recharge my energy for the next game!

GundayMonday

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

There's still totally luck involved. I guarantee that you will not win with players actively griefing on your team. Get two of those in a row and it negates your win streak and keeps you trapped in your division. You have to be good AND lucky!

Slippers

02-18-2013

The thing with Griefers, is not many people come into ranked just to troll (obviously, in rare instances, someone instalocks Veigar with revive clarity and calls jungle). However, these types of people are likely to get banned sooner or later, and I haven't seen many lately (probably 1 in every 20 games?) Which means, it's usually the teammates that create griefers.

The trick to low elo, I think, is getting First Blood. It heavily moralizes / demoralizes your team and enemy team respectively, and the easiest way to achieve it is through invading. Tell your teammates in queue that we will be invading, and head straight for the enemy blue / red (usually, junglers start blue in low elo.) Chances are, the enemy laners haven't come to protect the jungler because they have alt tabbed or is doing something stupid. Catch the enemy jungler / laner off guard, claim your first blood. Even if people feed and they say "sigh gg this jungler sucks", you have to cheer them on "It's fine, stick to your tower and farm. I'll carry the game, hold on. Even if you have no confidence of carrying the game, say it. Who cares? It's a good lie, and it will give your teammates the motivation to fight on.

ryzeonline

02-18-2013

Slippers! Fantastic stuff. Thanks for writing this!

Most of my friends are plat and I play with them often, normal, draft, and sometimes ranked.

We get along great and I play so well, but I was having trouble when solo q'ing in my ELO.

So I started learning all I could about ranked, I've been seeking out and studying LOL psychology, and I even wrote some very in-depth guides in my Solo Q Secrets Series ( http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2797814 )

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you.

We can always learn more, and I feel like I just did

The tips you shared here feel like a great leg up. There is so much gold in this, especially Take Charge, and dont use Diamond Level plays with a team of Bronzes

Thank you man