@Riot: Lore Based Matchmaking Queues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montesque64

02-20-2013

Quote:
I am curious if the fact that summoners are not supposed to have allegiances would completely squash this idea. The whole point of this would be summoner teams from each city-state which does not seem canonical. Anyone know how this can be circumvented?
Well, I could see it going either of two ways:

1. Summoners (us) are allowed to switch which country they're supporting at will, to reflect the current state of the League (i.e. each game is a contest to determine a political resolution of a conflict, and summoners are allowed to participate in whatever fashion they choose).

2. The League bylaws are changed to better insure that each Summoner gives his all to the game by affiliating themselves with a faction permanently. That would prevent faction switching, except for possibly once a season or so.

Kaze Rurouni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2013

it would definitely have to be something separate from the ranked and normal ques. I do think it would be pretty cool, but they would have to expand on the lore a bit more so that more people will actually care enough to take part in it. It would be cool if it was like the Noxus vs, Ionia match they had a while back, and could even result in another item (much like the Ionian Boots of Lucidity) or something else.

Idk, either way, I think this'd be cool.

Levik

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinimmortal View Post
it would definitely have to be something separate from the ranked and normal ques.
This would have to be the case. Summoners would still need to be able to use all of the champions or else Riot would basically be shooting themselves in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinimmortal View Post
It would be cool if it was like the Noxus vs, Ionia match they had a while back, and could even result in another item (much like the Ionian Boots of Lucidity) or something else.
I was thinking about this and I came up with this: since the League disputes all issues within Runeterra, this could be used for the added lore and an incentive to represent your city-state proudly. Apart from the regular matches that could still be seen as "practice matches" that have nothing to do with lore, there could be sudo-random event matches that are for settling a certain dispute between two city-states. There could be real lasting rewards for these matches like temporary banners in loading screens, logos for forums, small IP boosts, and perhaps even ward skins for all teams affiliated with the city-state that won. To balance this there would be a period where these effects would last, but then there could be a rematch period between the same city-states (probably different teams, but that would be random) where the same issue can be re-disputed. This would make it so one team could not horde all of the spoils for an indefinite period of time. I even thought that the magnitude of the dispute would represent the league of the two teams. Bronze would be minor issues with minor rewards, but they will be able to re-disputed quickly. Bronze level will ensure that the rewards will change hands quite often. Diamond level could handle land/policy disputes and the rewards would be much greater. There would be much fewer high level disputes because the rewards would be greater. The rematch time for these issues would also be much greater. Finally, there could be an interactive map of Runeterra that would show ongoing dispute matches (and allow spectators to join) and settled disputes with the teams that competed, who won, and the rewards that are active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesque64 View Post
1. Summoners (us) are allowed to switch which country they're supporting at will, to reflect the current state of the League (i.e. each game is a contest to determine a political resolution of a conflict, and summoners are allowed to participate in whatever fashion they choose).
I believe that this would take away from rewards I mentioned in the section above. There has to be a way around this, I would love to see what someone for Riot has to say about this because it seems like there is a lot of momentum behind this in the community.

ZeroAero

02-24-2013

Something I posted in the old threat, but you guys might enjoy.

Might not be the greatest idea, but why not have small events where you can play a single player game mode as a certain champion or something like that that's only available for a short time.
Have it kind of tell a story, like maybe a flashback into Syndra's past or Malzahar just after being taken by the void.
I dunno, maybe I'm the only one that thinks it's a good idea.

PrinceofCarthage

02-24-2013

This is an amazing idea that I would love to see so I hope it appears. For Ionia!

Helmight

02-24-2013

While I kinda like the idea, implementing it would be very difficult, not to mention there's another host of issues. Some city-states only have one or two different champions for a specific role, which means that most Ionian teams will get stuck with an ADC Yi, the Shadow Isles will be forced to run ADC Thresh, etc. It leads to predictable matchups. If we eventually get close to 20 champions per faction, you could make an argument for the mode, but as of right now the champion pools are too small.

Levik

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroAero View Post
Might not be the greatest idea, but why not have small events where you can play a single player game mode as a certain champion or something like that that's only available for a short time.
Have it kind of tell a story, like maybe a flashback into Syndra's past or Malzahar just after being taken by the void.
I dunno, maybe I'm the only one that thinks it's a good idea.
I don't know how much I would like that, sure it would give you insight into the champion's background, but I like the idea of your actions actually impacting Runeterra. The problem with what you propose is that the experience is the same for every single person who plays that flashback. After playing once what it the draw to play it again? With a game mode that actually impacts the world it is more rewarding to keep playing. I think something like the JoJ or whatever Riot is doing next will be better for revealing lore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmight View Post
Some city-states only have one or two different champions for a specific role, which means that most Ionian teams will get stuck with an ADC Yi, the Shadow Isles will be forced to run ADC Thresh, etc. It leads to predictable matchups. If we eventually get close to 20 champions per faction, you could make an argument for the mode, but as of right now the champion pools are too small.
Obviously there are quite a few city-states that cannot support a full team. The Shadow Isles, Bilgewater, and the Void don't have enough champions to support a team. Not to mention several other city-states that won't have enough champions after the ban process. I believe that the city-states that can support a team can be implemented now and as new champions are added that allow the other city-states to support a full team can be implemented at that time. Riot would have to let the teams switch allegiance if they so wish, but if teams do switch allegiances then they would lose their current team standing.

Vinlaael

02-27-2013

Why not allow nuetral champions to be summoned by any city state. This would basically fill out the roster for most city states. Really I only see ionia noxus demacia and the shadow isles and perhaps bandle city as the places with agendas. Thats not to say zaun and piltover arent their own places but they dont seem to have a structured form of government that directs all their champions to a single purpose.

Montesque64

02-27-2013

In regards to the insufficient Champion pools, I don't think it's much of an issue. For one thing, I'd assume allied nations would be able to pick from one anothers' pools (i.e. Zaun could call for help from Noxus and Vice versa). This would also allow a continuous narrative of shifting alliances and allegiances to help keep things fresh.

Secondly, there are numerous neutral champions who could fill any holes lacking in a roster. All of the Deep champs, or for that matter the Bilgewater champs could fall under that heading, as well as Nidalee, Wukong, etc.

Levik

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinlaael View Post
Why not allow nuetral champions to be summoned by any city state. This would basically fill out the roster for most city states. Really I only see ionia noxus demacia and the shadow isles and perhaps bandle city as the places with agendas. Thats not to say zaun and piltover arent their own places but they dont seem to have a structured form of government that directs all their champions to a single purpose.
I do not agree with this. The League disputes a lot of issues other than large scale agendas. The League would be used to settle a copyright dispute between Zuan and Piltover. Sure there will be neutral champions, but I doubt they would represent all of the city-states. A "good neutral" champion would not represent Zuan or Noxus. Only true neutral champions would represent all city-states, but I don't know which champions would fall into this category.

Quote:
In regards to the insufficient Champion pools, I don't think it's much of an issue. For one thing, I'd assume allied nations would be able to pick from one anothers' pools (i.e. Zaun could call for help from Noxus and Vice versa). This would also allow a continuous narrative of shifting alliances and allegiances to help keep things fresh.
Perhaps this would be true, but I am sure the alliances would still need to settle problems in the League. Then the Champions of Zuan couldn't be summoned for Noxus because there is a dispute between Zuan and Noxus. That is why all city-states would need enough champions to support a full team. Also, if a neutral champion is currently being used in a dispute, it wouldn't make sense for that champion to be used in another dispute at the same time. That would ruin the whole point of a "real world" matchmaking system.

Quote:
All of the Deep champs, or for that matter the Bilgewater champs could fall under that heading, as well as Nidalee, Wukong, etc
I would say that Biglewater is still a city-state (I could be wrong) it is just smaller than Noxus or Demacia.