@Riot: Lore Based Matchmaking Queues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Levik

02-16-2013

I was just on another thread when I was curious if a matchmaking queue based in the lore would ever be possible. By this I mean a team 5v5 queue where teams choose a region of loyalty in Runeterra (Ionia, The Shadow Isles, ect.) and team members are limited to summoning that region's champions. Obviously some regions can't support full teams yet, but maybe in the future this will be possible or it will be possible to add new teams later when the pick/ban features actually make it possible to make a full team.

This could also open up for more events like the Ionia vs. Noxus match with different regions competing.

Thoughts?

I tried to keep it short. I posted this in General Discussion and it got very few responses, I want to see what people actually thing about this. The Lore Forum seemed like the best spot to go. Here is the link to the old thread.

- Levik -

Atik L Yar

02-16-2013

Interesting idea....

Might be cool as an option is customs, or a sorta gimmicky MM mode.

The reason I say that is because, to work best, It would probably have to ignore what champs you do or don't have; simply allowing you to pick any with a certain alignment.

Would you choose an alignment upon queuing you think? Or should the game decide random alignments when the champ selection starts?

Abbachibi

02-16-2013

I thought of this a while back, and I would love to see it in game :P

Levik

02-16-2013

My thought was that you would register a team under a specific city-state and for you to compete you would need 16 champions, like regular draft pick, with an allegiance to your registered city-state. It would be like a ranked queue and when there are future events like the Ionia vs. Noxus matches Riot would choose the best ranked teams representing those city-states to compete.

Ill Darkistino

02-16-2013

I thought of this kind of thing a while ago, and would really like to see it happen. There could be a Void team too. Also, where would Twitch go?

SoresuMakashi

02-16-2013

Yes, would love this.

I already do it informally, actually.

FOR DEMACIA!

Levik

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Darkistino View Post
where would Twitch go?
Twitch is from Zuan, they gave him intelligence. However, there are quite a few champions whose allegiance is unknown. It would give Riot a good chance to disclose that information, but if there are champions with no allegiance they could be used by any city-state or those who best share that champion's interests.

I would really like to see Riot release champions that would allow each city-state to support a full team. It could just be a really nice thing for those summoners who really enjoy the lore.

I was just thinking that there could be random matches for small scale "conflicts" within Runeterra. The winning team would solidify a small amount of power for their city-state which would result in a small IP boost, or something incentive for all teams from that state. Like Bronze level victories would result in smaller bonuses than Diamond, but there could be more Bronze level ones because they would be changing hands a lot.

TLDR - There could be an added level of competition among city-state with noticeable incentive for all.

Levik

02-18-2013

I am curious what a Riot employee would think about this. Would this kind of match system be impractical? Actually I would just love to hear from anyone else. I am looking for people to critique what I have and I would like to know why. I would also love to know how everyone feels it would fit into the lore.

Lonjanis

02-19-2013

I am 100% behind this

Levik

02-20-2013

I am curious if the fact that summoners are not supposed to have allegiances would completely squash this idea. The whole point of this would be summoner teams from each city-state which does not seem canonical. Anyone know how this can be circumvented?