The problem with Tresh's lantern...

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tadeyoshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-15-2013

I've fought and played with many Thresh's before and love his design as a new support champ. His Lantern's pull being his most prominent feature. However, you don't need to run to the lantern to activate it, but simply be inside it's area of effect in which it applies the shield. But the biggest problem is that you only have to click on the lantern to move, and even if you are under crowd control effects can still do it. I can guess that some have heard that even Anivia can be pulled toward Thresh while in her egg form.
Similarly you can do this while taunted, stunned, or snared. I played a game today where a deciding moment in the game relied on my ult as Galio, and taunting everyone. But Thresh simply threw his lantern and pulled Anivia out before it could do damage... It should be fixed to only work when the character can move freely and not under any cc, or immobilizes. I think by the same format even other champions like Xerath could be pulled along while using his W. Sure it would be cool, but only if it's intended to do that, since Xerath is actually still able to fire spells while using his W and even AA, but in Anivia's case it just feels like it shouldn't do that.

TD;LR Thresh's lantern should only be able to activate if the one clicking it can move freely on their own.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maazo Kaazo

Junior Member

02-15-2013

I think Thresh's ability was intended for HIM to pull the ally needing rescue. However, some players may not want to be pulled so Riot may have decided to give the final decision to the other player and not Thresh. So, technically, any ally champ stunned/rooted or not can and must be free to choose to get pulled to safety by Thresh.

That's how I understand the purpose of Thresh's Lantern. =)
Correct me if I'm wrong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tadeyoshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maazo Kaazo View Post
I think Thresh's ability was intended for HIM to pull the ally needing rescue. However, some players may not want to be pulled so Riot may have decided to give the final decision to the other player and not Thresh. So, technically, any ally champ stunned/rooted or not can and must be free to choose to get pulled to safety by Thresh.

That's how I understand the purpose of Thresh's Lantern. =)
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think that was the biggest problem with his lantern. Because champion that can affect teammates are tricky. Blitz, Ori, Gragas, Trist, etc. all move the enemy, but if they make a champion that can move allies, then that champion becomes the first pick for trolls, effectively making it a troll at champ select. I see where they made it rely on the ally to click it, so they gave him a shield to give him something from it besides pulling allies. But the problem is that you can be pulled no matter what and that's the problem. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but you can use it while CC'd and/or immobilized like during Anivia's rebirth. I'm not sure about things like Guardian Angel or Zillean's ult or Yorick's, but that's the problem.
I hope I can clear it up with an in-game example.
You're playing as Galio and use your ult to take out a high damage target, -Fiora for example- while your Q and E are on cooldown and to taunt them. But then Thresh throws his lantern in, and pulls her out of your ult, ignoring everything. You're damage doesn't pop, and she is no longer taunted.

Don't you think it shouldn't be like that where you can cancel it without cleanse, tenacity, or quicksilver sash and effectively making focusing a target with crowd control affects useless? When all you have to do is throw in the lantern have them pulled out, let the tank take the front, and then re-engage to clean up. I don't know how widely known this is by other players, but I think it would be best to deal with it before it becomes a problem.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maazo Kaazo

Junior Member

02-15-2013

I totally understood what you meant in your first post. It was crystal clear. =)
What I was saying in my previous reply was that Thresh's ability was intended for HIM to decide who to pull. The problem is that not all allies want to get pulled so Riot made the clicking option available.

Think of it like Blitz's grab but used on allies.
(Cc'd or not, you still get pulled.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChiSqrd

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Damn I agree. The pull range on his lantern is very long and the fact that you can be CC'ed and still get out is kinda stupid. The exception to CC making you unable to jump to Thresh is obviously slows, but also silences since you aren't using your own ability.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ROKAF JE

Senior Member

02-16-2013

I agree with the CC thing.
That being said, "using" the lantern actually requires you to be quite close.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KnightxSScarlett

Senior Member

02-16-2013

You need to be within a small radius of the lantern to use it. It's a little blue circle around it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tadeyoshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKAF JE View Post
I agree with the CC thing.
That being said, "using" the lantern actually requires you to be quite close.
Yeah, you actually don't have to be that close. If you can get the shield then you can get pulled if you want.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rockoutwithmy

Senior Member

02-16-2013

One person on a team where one person chose to play thresh can escape certain death once every 16 seconds assuming thresh is not in the fight.
Also as an initiator/tank he should always be in the fight, so that lantern is only an early game gimmick for saving people. Also, if you see the lantern, don't blow your spells....they're obviously going to get away...
On top of that, minions drop souls when he is anywhere near you, so if you see a little red dot on the ground, accept that maybe you won't be able to demolish someone because he will save them.

His lantern is the first ability in the game that directly affects the position of an ally, you don't know how to work around things like it yet, so take your time and figure it out, sometimes it'll save people from taunts and stuns, but really with no heal or decent shield he needs something like this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tadeyoshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockoutwithmy View Post
One person on a team where one person chose to play thresh can escape certain death once every 16 seconds assuming thresh is not in the fight.
Also as an initiator/tank he should always be in the fight, so that lantern is only an early game gimmick for saving people. Also, if you see the lantern, don't blow your spells....they're obviously going to get away...
On top of that, minions drop souls when he is anywhere near you, so if you see a little red dot on the ground, accept that maybe you won't be able to demolish someone because he will save them.

His lantern is the first ability in the game that directly affects the position of an ally, you don't know how to work around things like it yet, so take your time and figure it out, sometimes it'll save people from taunts and stuns, but really with no heal or decent shield he needs something like this.
I know all this, that's not the point. The point is that you can be stunned, taunted, or reviving as Anivia and still be able to get pulled. It shouldn't work as a substitute for getting crucible, cleanse, or any tenacity of quicksilver item.


12