Dealing With Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Møgget

02-15-2013

I've been very frustrated with the champion Garen recently for the following reasons:

He can stack health and still deal a formidable amount of damage.
He can play horribly in the laning phase and still come back to be a pain in the *** late-game.
His effectiveness does not at all reflect the skill (or lack thereof) required to play him. He has no skill shots, and pretty much just spins around and hits with his Q until an enemy is low enough for him to ult.

Basically, I'm tired of enemy Garens carrying their subpar teammates simply because Garen is so strong. A lot of games are feeling like "pick Garen = win."

I'm looking for a champion who completely facerolls Garen and can carry just as hard late game.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cenerae

02-15-2013

Garen's weakness is kiting. Yes, his Q removes slows when he uses it, but he has to hit it to close the gap anyway. So all you have to do is slow him and he won't be able to get in melee range. If he can't get in melee range he can't do anything except maybe snipe someone nearby with his ult.

If you want to crush him in lane you need someone like Jayce, Kayle or Teemo. They can all kite him easily since they're all ranged, and either have slows or speed boosts for kiting, and Jayce can also knock him away with hammer mode E. All three have good harrass too, which prevents him from healing in lane. Kayle also has her ult to counter Garen's ult at any point in the game.

In teamfights though, all you can do is just kite, kite, kite. It's like fighting a Darius except he's got more problems getting to and sticking on targets.

Etherimp

02-15-2013

Garen is scariest in the early game. Once you get some items he's not nearly as threatening. He either builds damage and is squishy, or he builds HP and lacks damage... You just don't want to face him before you buy, because his early game damage is disgusting.

So, don't feed him. Harass him off minions. If he doesn't get fed in lane, you can basically ignore him for the rest of the game. Sure, he may pick up a few random kills with his ulti but that's inevitable. No different than Darius pressing R when someone gets low.. But Garen requires his team to deal any REAL damage, in order to use his ulti. If his team is not fed, he will be pretty useless.

Møgget

02-15-2013

Thanks for the tips... I guess the whole "not feeding" thing is the problem when I'm not top. I had a game recently where my allied Jayce had to face an enemy Garen in lane. The Jayce somehow fed the Garen, who ended up going 12/1/12... He was pretty much unkillable.

Cenerae

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgget View Post
Thanks for the tips... I guess the whole "not feeding" thing is the problem when I'm not top. I had a game recently where my allied Jayce had to face an enemy Garen in lane. The Jayce somehow fed the Garen, who ended up going 12/1/12... He was pretty much unkillable.
A fed anything is incredibly dangerous, really. If it gets to that point he's going to kill everyone if you can't kite him, and tank your team for ages, like just about any other bruiser in the game.

Obviously if he's starting to get ahead, it might be wise to gank him a time or two to keep him down.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

Smart Garens will hide in the bush to regenerate life. Smart top-laners will pack wards to make the bush useless.
Hit him every 5-10 seconds to restart his passive. Of course, this can end badly if he manages to catch up to you, so don't be dumb about it.

Try your luck with Championselect.net
It's full of various champion counters. It seems that champions with high harassment are usually very good against him, according to this.