Role Selection, Pick order and "called it first"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tristyric

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominyx View Post
Calling it is necessary and important- For starters it lets people know what you're best at, but say "mid or adc preferred" for example. Anyone who claims they're equally good at all roles is full of it or has never played so is equally bad due to no experience.

I lolking people all the time in champ select, not to troll or say oh you are terrible at x i want it. But to make sure that if I can fill a role that my team will otherwise have a weak player playing, I will do it to help us win.

Not calling out a role is just as much a lack of communication is saying mid or feed. Because no one knows what you're best at, and doesn't know what you're plan is.

call out your preferences and/or specialties, be adaptable. if you force someone to jungle that doesnt know respawn times etc, dont expect much out of them and blame yourself when their ganks suck, not them, they likely told you at champ select what they were best at and what they mostly played to get to the elo they are at.
Firstly lets not pretend that callers are the sort to say 'preferred'. Preferred in essence means "this is the role i like best or do best but I understand that i may not get it". The honest truth that we all know, is that when someone fast pastes "mid or top or jungle" etc, they are not their to negotiate, they are trying to claim that spot regardless. Thus when they don't get that spot they become belligerent. It has nothing to do with playing at their best, they want the role they want and they want and they don't care about whats best for winning.

Sure there are the minority of players that actually will compromise but the majority of callers are not those. They are part-time ranker's who don't care if they drag others down because they themselves don't have any aspirations of trying to rank up or expect to be carried. These sort of players are part of the problem that perpetuates 'elo hell' motif. They realize it will hurt others more to lose LP so they try to use trolling tactics to throw their weight around and in the end still don't fulfill their roles well nine out of ten times. it wouldn't be so bad if there were more people who called roles flexibly as you mention but only a newbie would believe that what you speak of is the common etiquette in the shallow end of the ranked pool.

it'd be be nice if there were a bit more time to actually discuss roles or some way to get better overall matching. Somehow it feels like riot doesn't have any intention of supporting solo/duo que. Frankly you can't blame them, the money comes from teams and team play. It's probably going to stay the hodgepodge mess that is is currently for a long time to come, unfortunately.

Thugzook

02-18-2013

Really? This whole thread reeks of "meta, meta, meta". Riot made it clear that they do not support the meta, yet do not discourage it either. Doing this WILL encourage the meta. This might even ruin the fun for some players. Even if Riot decides to implement this, it would be abused by trolls by queuing support then going mid. What do you think started Kha'Zix as a mid? A creative player with a good mind for counters. This system will seriously ruin the experimentation factor of League. (such as testing if someone counters someone else)

unhai

02-19-2013

the dickfighting at the start of every game is just senseless this is for fun at most so allowing me to play the roles i want with my 40 minutes of MY free time should be allowed.

i hate fighting with people all the time i hate dealing with instalockers angry people and guys who would rather troll the fight and leave.

we are in a world where we can come up with solutions to many problems and this one should be an easy solution.

Raiko Yaseisura

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristyric View Post
Firstly lets not pretend that callers are the sort to say 'preferred'. Preferred in essence means "this is the role i like best or do best but I understand that i may not get it". The honest truth that we all know, is that when someone fast pastes "mid or top or jungle" etc, they are not their to negotiate, they are trying to claim that spot regardless. Thus when they don't get that spot they become belligerent. It has nothing to do with playing at their best, they want the role they want and they want and they don't care about whats best for winning.

Sure there are the minority of players that actually will compromise but the majority of callers are not those. They are part-time ranker's who don't care if they drag others down because they themselves don't have any aspirations of trying to rank up or expect to be carried. These sort of players are part of the problem that perpetuates 'elo hell' motif. They realize it will hurt others more to lose LP so they try to use trolling tactics to throw their weight around and in the end still don't fulfill their roles well nine out of ten times. it wouldn't be so bad if there were more people who called roles flexibly as you mention but only a newbie would believe that what you speak of is the common etiquette in the shallow end of the ranked pool.

it'd be be nice if there were a bit more time to actually discuss roles or some way to get better overall matching. Somehow it feels like riot doesn't have any intention of supporting solo/duo que. Frankly you can't blame them, the money comes from teams and team play. It's probably going to stay the hodgepodge mess that is is currently for a long time to come, unfortunately.
[CENTER] So far, this particular post seems the most... I'm not sure how to say this, but I'll surmise that I like this response. It opens up readers' eyes to reality. Sure, some solutions -sound- great, but are they really viable?

I've yet to experience the darkness of the supposed, "Elo Hell," but I've been looking threads like these up simply because I've yet to hear anything positive about ranked play other than the potential for finding a real team, and the consideration of attempting to go 'big' in season 3 and those to come.

I am in support of the 'brighter side,' of the community; meaning, I would rather be one of the players who makes a personal difference by showing that I can uphold a decent and acceptable compatibility with others without need of some set in-game enforcement or standard by being as flexible and prepared as the quoted post above would suggest.

I do hope, however, that some kind of median arises in the future. As a subjective believer in compromise, I'm sure that there is a method by which some equal-esque number of both parties of this supposed issue could be satisfied - though not ALL parties can be satisfied in any one thing except in the case of which none of them care. Paradoxical... But such is the way of human nature.

Anywho, my point by all of this is simply to express that I agree with Tristyric in a lot of what he says, to express that I am fairly new and share an interest in this game's progression, and to show some form of support for the portion of the community that would like to be of value to that community.

I hope that some day I may be able to bring others to similar views. Thank you to all of those who posted here, whether your views are accepted, shared, or otherwise interpretted by myself and others. I look forward to the happenstance I should play with/against some of you in queue.
[/CENTER]