Role Selection, Pick order and "called it first"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Suitmonster

02-15-2013

It is my understanding that the only legitimately recognized order of role/champion selection is the random order in which players are filed in the draft pick.

This frequently causes inexperienced or immature players to fight among themselves over roles or lanes. In many cases this results in acts of unsportsmanlike conduct which directly effect the outcome of the game. Often times the enemy team is hardly as effective at winning the match as the allied players are at losing it out of spite for their fellow team members.

Reporting people for failing to fulfill a role or intentionally is a viable option for punishing those who violate the code of conduct, but it is ineffective at reducing the root cause of the problem.

Therefore, I suggest something that World of Warcraft players will recognize and support immediately. Please consider implementing a "role selection check" for players to use prior to queuing for ranked games. Check boxes for roles such as jungler, support, attack-damage carry, solo top lane and solo mid lane would be available. In an ideal deployment, this system would only match players with other players who have selected complimentary roles, with an emphasis on avoiding overlap.

I apologize if this idea has been suggested before - it seems so simple a fix for such an endemic problem that it no doubt has been mentioned before.

GLADlATOR

02-15-2013

this would be a cool idea. i'd get into every game cause i main supports. HAHAHA

PsychicToaster

02-16-2013

Oh look, it's THIS thread...AGAIN.

Riot has already stated why they think this is a bad idea and more of these threads isn't going to help out any. Tired of reading these. Do some searching before you post next time. Actually, you'd have to sort through about 6000 of these threads, so never mind.

JanosWuryon

02-17-2013

Any one who tries to use the summoners code as basis for fhis concept is so missing the point. Trolling aside trying to enforce any sort of draconian system to force roles on playera is in fact itself a violation of the code. Communication, teamwork and flexibility are what the code calls for. Ideally every player in Ranked should have the following list covered before queuing. 1 be able to play two champs in every role. 2. Own the common op champs to.enable swapping 3. Have 60 minutes of bs free time available to play 4. Be ready to communicate and compromise quickly to field a good team trying to force people into their wealer roles doesnt make youbetter it makes your team worse.

Eggroll9000

02-17-2013

I called mid or feed!!! :P

Drewbiiee

02-17-2013

Honestly, this needs to be changed. You can't expect everyone to always be open to the idea of every role. I don't understand why the blind pick rules can't be applied to the draft pick. If you call it first, you get it. Forcing someone to play a role they know they aren't the best at in a ranked game simply because of their position on the draft board is hardly a peaceful solution. Call it being immature if you want, but that's certainly not what it is. Some people know they would be hurting the team if they were forced to play a certain role. I for one try to negotiate out of playing support or adc because I know I would be a liability to my team in those roles rather than asset. But due to this horrid "First come, first serve" approach to draft pick, it often causes unrest on the team before the game even starts. People don't want to play certain roles for legitimate reasons.

KirkVanH0uten

02-17-2013

Sadly, the random order sometimes put inexperienced players at the top who choose the most pivotal roles and cause the team to lose. AKA playing ez and going 0/5 in 6 min. i would rather have a conversation about roles. example: i can jungle/adc/top as best roles, worst role is mid. therefore you know this person can do certain things better than others and change your picks around those. the higher you get the more it seems this is how picking goes

sepetaiya

02-18-2013

picking role before select is a bad idea simply because it creates a static meta. this isnt wow. real players and those who know how to counter meta dont want that.

creating a dodge penalty is the root cause of the problem. now we cant dodge trolls. gg riot.

Triplell

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbiiee View Post
Honestly, this needs to be changed. You can't expect everyone to always be open to the idea of every role. I don't understand why the blind pick rules can't be applied to the draft pick. If you call it first, you get it. Forcing someone to play a role they know they aren't the best at in a ranked game simply because of their position on the draft board is hardly a peaceful solution. Call it being immature if you want, but that's certainly not what it is. Some people know they would be hurting the team if they were forced to play a certain role. I for one try to negotiate out of playing support or adc because I know I would be a liability to my team in those roles rather than asset. But due to this horrid "First come, first serve" approach to draft pick, it often causes unrest on the team before the game even starts. People don't want to play certain roles for legitimate reasons.
So because someone typed a role faster means they should get that role? That seems equally ridiculous.

Also, why do you think you would be a liability in a certain role? I understand that people are going to be better at certain roles, but who is to say that you are going to be a better jungler than so-and-so?

I think in terms of overall game experience, role selection is the way to go. I can understand peoples frustation knowing that they have to spend the next 40-60 minutes of their life basically not enjoying themselves.

Ominyx

02-18-2013

Calling it is necessary and important- For starters it lets people know what you're best at, but say "mid or adc preferred" for example. Anyone who claims they're equally good at all roles is full of it or has never played so is equally bad due to no experience.

I lolking people all the time in champ select, not to troll or say oh you are terrible at x i want it. But to make sure that if I can fill a role that my team will otherwise have a weak player playing, I will do it to help us win.

Not calling out a role is just as much a lack of communication is saying mid or feed. Because no one knows what you're best at, and doesn't know what you're plan is.

call out your preferences and/or specialties, be adaptable. if you force someone to jungle that doesnt know respawn times etc, dont expect much out of them and blame yourself when their ganks suck, not them, they likely told you at champ select what they were best at and what they mostly played to get to the elo they are at.