How many tanks should a team have?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MooLaMoo

02-15-2013

Sometimes, when we're all choosing our characters and established our roles, someone says "We lack tanks", such a team of like, Nidalee top, Fiddle jungle, Lux mid, Twitch/Sona bot.

I usually play support, but I've only been playing "frail" supports like Sona and Nami. Should I try aiming for bulky supports like Alistar, Thresh, and Leona just for the sake of having a tank? I also play Nidalee support, which I love since she can splitpush to catch up on gold, spears may not 2hitko people but still do noticeable damage, and easily spreads wards since if she goes into an unsafe area, she can escape. What's your opinion of support Nidalee?

FlowyS

02-15-2013

I think it's best to have a tank, a balanced team composition is important.

But, if you don't want to tank, don't tank lol. No one is forcing you to play a role you don't like. Plus, player skill make up a much bigger factor than balanced team composition. However, player skill and team composition will be better than player skill alone. If you wanna just have fun, play whatever you like. If you want to seriously win, you need both player skill and balanced team composition.

Support Nidalee's spears really hurt a lot. Build some AP to make them really hurt!

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2013

It's a really good idea to have at least 1 solid tank(or several durable bruisers) on any team.

As a support, you're not going to be as tanky as a jungle or lane tank, but if your team is squishy, you'll be better off not being squishy yourself, so I do recommend learning champs like Alistar, Taric, or Leona.

Cenerae

02-15-2013

People get confused with the concept of having a tank from MMO games.

In League, tanks are not required. Having a guy that takes a while to kill is all fine and dandy, but you need to see what they can actually do besides that. Instead of saying 'we need a tank' you want to say 'we need an initiator' or 'we need someone who can peel for the carries'. A lot of bruisers can fill these roles, so purely tank oriented champs like Rammus aren't *required* for a team to function. What does Rammus do? He initiates with powerball and taunt, and deals AoE damage. The fact that he's naturally tanky helps, but isn't the sole defining reason you take him.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2013

That's partially true - you're looking for initiation, peel, drawing agression, etc. from your durable champions. But that durability is also key. You can't have five people relying on positioning to survive fights. You want a couple of champs in the middle of things that don't need to position safely, to bait focus onto themselves or punish focus onto a back line squishy carry, otherwise anyone who gets caught dies, and if no one gets caught, they're also not putting out damage.

Technically, it's possible to run a poke comp on the squishy side, but only if the opposing team lacks hard initiation. Squishy teams that can be decisively initiated on will lose. So while your tanks do have lots of jobs beyond just being meatshields, that durability they have is a very important part of their kit.

Cenerae

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
That's partially true - you're looking for initiation, peel, drawing agression, etc. from your durable champions. But that durability is also key. You can't have five people relying on positioning to survive fights. You want a couple of champs in the middle of things that don't need to position safely, to bait focus onto themselves or punish focus onto a back line squishy carry, otherwise anyone who gets caught dies, and if no one gets caught, they're also not putting out damage.

Technically, it's possible to run a poke comp on the squishy side, but only if the opposing team lacks hard initiation. Squishy teams that can be decisively initiated on will lose. So while your tanks do have lots of jobs beyond just being meatshields, that durability they have is a very important part of their kit.
Yeah, you do want beef on the team, but as I said...you're not looking to pick champions just because they're beefy. Picking someone like Mundo or Garen and saying 'ok guys we have a tank we're all good!' is not a smart move. All bruisers are generally built tanky and they're going to be in the thick of things. Slapping a meatshield in for the sake of having one is a waste of a team slot unless the enemy team actually focus fires them.

xSeCKSx

02-16-2013

Tanks don't do so well anymore with all the itemization changes. I remember the days where a full built cho tank on 6 stacks didn't worry about death unless the enemy team had a kog or vayne.

In the new Meta, bruisers have pretty much taken over for the tank role - I prefer a team to have two, one for initiation and one who can protect the squishy folk on the team or at least be a big enough threat to serve as an off-tank.

Hirumonogatari

02-16-2013

since we're on this thread... i have had an interesting question from a game a couple of days ago. it was merely blind pick, but.. anyway.

jungle locks in yi. top locks in akali and mid locks in lux. a random hasn't said anything yet and you haven't picked anything either. knowing an adc is most likely going to be squishy, what should the remaining 2 picks be?

as it happened, the opposing team went panth, xin, garen, ez and (can't remember that last one) we got stomped so hard because we were barely dealing any damage to xin and garen by the time mid-game rolled around.

Iboga2012

02-16-2013

I can say that if you generally play support its best to learn someone like Leona or Taric. I find that it really helps when our team is full of squishy people to bring out a little Leona, dive into the middle of a team fight, lay down some hurt, watch the team get a triple or quad or even Ace and then walk away. It's awkward at first, but once you get used to playing a tanky support it will be a great tool to have if you need it. I love Lulu and Sona, but a tanky support can sometimes better fit the team/role.