Fiora Balance Issues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Inherent

02-15-2013

Ever since release, I've been watching Fiora closely as I love the champion concept. Through playing and playing against her I've come to see a few issues with her. I will split this post into problem and solution sections. Also, I will not be addressing problems with Fiora in the bottom lane, although many of the same problems exist. I'll include a TLDR at the end.

PROBLEM
First off, let's assume that the player playing Fiora is competent and able to farm, engage, and survive reasonably well. Fiora's very early game power isn't too good, which of course is no real problem, just her as a champion. However, around the later early game, she picks up extreme power. Her W gives her 15 extra AD just at level one. With this huge boost, she is usually able to output more damage than anyone else at early levels. Even without starting with damage (ex. Doran's blade, long sword), she can have upwards of 90 AD (with heavy AD runes). Usually players will have 80ish AD by those levels. Fiora can 1v1 and win against most every top laner and jungler at this point in the game. At level 6, she gains an excellent finisher which deals extremely heavy early game damage. If used on one target like your top lane opponent, it can secure kills from rather high health. If the laner isn't extremely cautious and either gets ganks extremely often, or tower hugs throughout laning phase, Fiora 9/10 times will get multiple kills and snowball. This makes her an absolute terror through mid game and an extremely high damage outputter in the late game. Now let's assume that this doesn't happen. Let's pretend the jungler gets a great gank and Fiora dies and lacks Teleport summoner spell. She falls behind in lane and loses it very quickly. Now out of laning phase, she tries to go help her team secure dragon or another tower. Lacking gold to buy damage outputting items, her natural damage output falls behind, rendering her next to useless. She is essentially walking gold at this point. Anyone whom has lost a lane as Fiora has experienced this, and anyone who has played against a fed Fiora knows her extreme power.
SOLUTION
Now to counteract these flaws in Fiora's balance, I recommend the Riven treatment. In a recent patch (3.01 or 3.02 I believe), Riot addressing Riven's extreme snowballing power but her inability to recover from a failed lane. Riven would either carry or fail in lane. In many ways, Fiora is the same way. She has great, devastating power and sustain when fed, but no real way to recover from a bad game. Buffing Fiora's scaling slightly while decreasing the base damage would decrease her early power but giving her better late game power. While I'm sure there are many other options, I support this one. In any case, Fiora is an unbalanced champion who should be altered.
TLDR
Fiora is unbalanced because her snowballing power is extreme and if fed, there is pretty much no stopping her. However, when she falls behind, she has very little possibility of getting back into the game. My solution (more of a suggestion, other ways too) was to increase Fiora's ability's scaling, but decreasing the base damage.
WHETHER YOU AGREE OR NOT, THANKS FOR READING AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!

iamWardeR

02-19-2013

I like your thoughts on Fiora, and as an avid fiora fan, i have spent many night trying to figure out ways to tweak her in order to make her playable, The simple fact that Ninja Tabi, can completely ruin her game is very sad, she is in all honesty an Auto Attacking champion, much like AD master Yi,

Here are some of my Suggestions for attempting to tweak Fiora, and i hope that we can in all Honesty attempt to make her viable,

Her W's AD scaling is rather nice as specified above, but the hard problem is that if you want to take her anywhere solo, she wont survive without constant ganks, I can see where RIOT went with her passive hopefully giving her some regen to keep her in lane, but lets face it, it just doesn't work, Also going back to the W The Reflected damage doesn't scale well at all, its supposed to be almost a threat to other champions to pop, almost like Jax's Stun,

So Here is the tweak to W, i propose Lower the Mana cost of the W to about 20-25, the high mana cost stops many early game Fiora's from spamming, Another problem and minor fix, is that the cool down on it is rather high, so if u do find yourself in a fight most people dont attempt to fight it, or if they do its not that scary so they just power through it and you are left hanging. Have the cool down be shortened when something strikes it. or pops the parry.

Ok next sort of tweak. The Bases on Lunge must be increased because frankly its not scary. and that can go back to Talzarn, Equalize the damage of the lunge over all levels and it should be fine.

The last Tweak that i would like to have happen on Fiora, is her Passive, frankly speaking the regen is terrible. I have attempted many different variations of her passive to see if it can work. The only thing i have come about is changer her passive to what i like to call:

Dueling Prowess:
Her constant experience in duels has given Fiora the ability to see weaknesses in opponents armor!
Passive

Consecutive attacks on the same target grant 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 % armor penetration (Stacks 5 times, up to 5/7.5/10/12.5/15%)

Now i understand, WARDER but its just black cleaver, yes i get it that's why i nerfed the damage. and i think the level changes should be at 1/3/7/12/15. i put the level changes after the 6 and 11 ult, so that the damage doesn't go crazy as soon as she gets her ultimates.

These are just my thoughts
don't go crazy on me.

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talzarn View Post
She has great, devastating power and sustain when fed, but no real way to recover from a bad game.
I usually recover from bad games as fiora.

GiottoXIII

02-20-2013

fiora is a melee carry with no durability nuff said

Peligrad

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
I usually recover from bad games as fiora.
You play at 900 ELO...

Doesn't count...

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
You play at 900 ELO...

Doesn't count...
is that what normals counts as now? Anyways, what do other champs have to "come back from bad games" that fiora doesnt have.

Peligrad

02-20-2013

Your normal ELO is atrocious...I've explained this to you before cereal...

To answer your question: The ability to build tank and provide utility is the main one.

If you are behind, you aren't going to carry so your damage isn't going to be relevant...especially if you are a melee because your base damages will be under leveled and you base stats will be squishy.

If that's the case, its better to build beef and be a good damage sponge for the folks who can carry.

But if your kit has no utility you can't do this as well because you can't be disruptive or provide auras as well...

No matter how good or bad an Amumu is doing, he's a threat. Because an 0/10/0 Amumu still has curse of the sad bullet time for his MF.

But Fiora doesn't give her team ANYTHING if she is behind. And that's a main reason why she's such a horrible champion.

Especially when you couple that with the fact that she's a horrible duelist who is looked upon by any good jungler as food because she can't escape ganks well at all.

You can be the best Fiora in the world and you will still lose your lane the vast majority of the time.

Because the jungler knows that all he has to do is put you behind and you contribute nothing to your team.

In contrast you stick someone like Malphite top lane and the jungelr goes...well, not only will we not kill a malph post 6 because of his ult escape and extreme durability, and his resistance to ganks in the first place, but even if we do put him behind he's going to contribute to his team nicely because of all his utility.

GiottoXIII

02-20-2013

this is why she her parry needs to disable AA champs for 3 seconds at max 1 second to start

Peligrad

02-20-2013

I think that Fiora needs non-conditional mobility, some sustain, and CC resistance.

If you just make her harder to gank and harder to focus in a team fight then she'd be in pretty good shape. Especially if they gave her some sustain to compensate for the half dozen life steal nerfs that have occurred since her release..

Many champions are useless if they are behind... think every assassin in this game...

But most of those champions are a lot harder to put behind because they have ranged skills to CS with, they have sustain, they have stealth or some other mechanic to resist being ganked, or they have CC.

Fiora has none of these things... the best fiora can do is become untargetable for a short time and hope someone comes to rescue her...meanwhile the person she ults dives deeper and deeper into his own territory to finish her off when she comes back...

iamWardeR

02-20-2013

Stating the problems a champion is only HALF the problem, lets actually drum up some discussion on ways of fixing her. !!