is it still necessary for midlaners to start with boots and pots?

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

Senior Member

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soferir View Post
On topic, boots are practically required against champs with many skillshots, like the fast lil' foxy herself.

Off topic, It should be a requirement that all threads have a minimum of 1 Ahri picture.
xD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thubgar

Senior Member

02-15-2013

depends on a lot of things.
the point was never to make boot/pots a bad option, it was to make others available and that's what has happened.

faerie charms are good for dealing with pushers, rings for smashing faces, and boots for everything else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

Senior Member

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thubgar View Post
depends on a lot of things.
the point was never to make boot/pots a bad option, it was to make others available and that's what has happened.

faerie charms are good for dealing with pushers, rings for smashing faces, and boots for everything else.
Lol, funny thing is, ahri herself is something of a pusher though she has to stand next to towers when hitting them. But more importantly I think I can abuse this faere charm thing.

It costs 180 and sells for 126 it seems. Or maybe it sells for 54. In anycase, ahri is good for level 1 jungle invade AoE damage and she's also good for helping to kill creeps anyways. This could be the cheap mana solution ive been lookn for. xD wards and redpots ftw. I need to check and see what tournament players are doing. It seems like they just do 1 pot boots and a ward.

guess I could use the typical support items. I'd get the flask but I don't make many early trips to base as ahri. After my first trip I don't typically need it on her anymore. Tried it on cass but she would be better off with a faere charm to rush chalice I think.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oz SammyD X

Senior Member

02-15-2013

It's never been necessary to start boots + 3 pots, if you think this way then you are not a good player.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

Senior Member

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz SammyD X View Post
It's never been necessary to start boots + 3 pots, if you think this way then you are not a good player.
Played a game where I wanted to dodge brands spells and farm at like 305 ms... I also wanted to gank and not get killed by the jungler who would have boots and would gank at level 2. I needed boots if I didnt want to be under my tower all day. Boots were needed, arguement defeated.

/FF7 victory jingle


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oz SammyD X

Senior Member

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
Played a game where I wanted to dodge brands spells and farm at like 305 ms... I also wanted to gank and not get killed by the jungler who would have boots and would gank at level 2. I needed boots if I didnt want to be under my tower all day. Boots were needed, arguement defeated.

/FF7 victory jingle
Don't know if troll or just stupid.....

You build to counter the enemy, meaning boots + pots have NEVER been necessary, why would you get boots if your mid lane Zed fighting a non skill shot champ? Clearly proves my point boots are not necessary, your argument was never valid to begin with, please don't post anymore your embarrassing yourself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Intellectional

Senior Member

02-15-2013

News flash: Riot nerfed Flask. It's no longer worth its cost. I usually just end up starting with a mix of wards and potions, unless, as others have mentioned, I need to dodge skillshots.

Ahri can get away with Doran's Ring because of her spellvamp. I don't play her, but I generally start Doran's on Fiddle, and that's always fun.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akira Kid41

Senior Member

02-15-2013

Boots are not necessary anymore in mid. For real. The redistribution of movement speed between base and lowest tier boots has devalued the price of said boots. You do not get as many stats for your gold. So if you buy boots at level one you will not be moving that much more than your opponent with boots. Skillshot champions can just as easily bait opponents into abilities with base movespeed now. And a single doran's ring now does what it was intended to do which is to sustain.
So stack ap, poke, last hit, regen mana, repeat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akira Kid41

Senior Member

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz SammyD X View Post
Don't know if troll or just stupid.....

You build to counter the enemy, meaning boots + pots have NEVER been necessary, why would you get boots if your mid lane Zed fighting a non skill shot champ? Clearly proves my point boots are not necessary, your argument was never valid to begin with, please don't post anymore your embarrassing yourself.
Well because that movement speed allows you to more safely engage and disengage with skillshots. And since you are zed you have no reason to buy mana regen soooo, why not? IMO movement speed is Zed's third most valued stat, after AD, and C/D red..

Oh I almost forgot to mention that Zed is one of the best champions at baiting in the game. In fact it is what he excels at most.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cater0mcf

Member

02-16-2013

I found 6 red potions, 3 blue and 2 wards as my favourite starting combination. You are getting a bit of extra sustain and an extra ward. I love having one side of my lane warded all time, and the extra early sustain is useful early on. I'm kind of anti-flask currently, as it costs a lot of money and i don't find much use of it after my first back.

Against champs that have a hard time to damage you due to their range, like Ryze or Eve, i like starting boots and red potions.


123