Role Queuing: In depth analysis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ASAP Burt

02-15-2013

Hello everyone, today I would like to discuss role queuing, and why I believe it would be a good idea. I'll take a look at pros and cons, and feel free to add any negative or positive feedback that you see with my analysis.
First off, what is role queuing? Role queuing is the process of searching for a spot in a group activity, with a preset position already selected. Several MMO's have adapted this system, namely World Of Warcraft. You que for a dungeon, as a dps, tank, or healer. The same principle can easily be applied to the League of Legends matchmaking system.
I know this has already been suggested a million times, but the idea seems to have lost steam within the recent months. I will start with the Pros.

Pros
- It allows players to get the positions they excel at. A problem that many people face when playing draft pick or ranked, is being forced into a position they have little to no experience in. I know, it's important to be good at all the positions, so that you may adapt to the teams needs. But unfortunately, not everyone can be good at everything. When players are forced into unfamiliar roles, it can lead to mistakes that could potentially cost the game. I don't know about you, but I want a teammate to be in a position to excel, not forced into something they are mediocre at because someone else wanted the same spot.
-Reduces the chance of 'trolls'. I feel the pick order system is flawed, and here's why. Let's say you pick first, and you call the position you want before anyone else. A person can attempt to steal your position by threatening to feed, or afk during the game. If a role que system was in place, the troll would get the position he wants, and is less likely to be a problem. Another way it COULD reduce trolling,is by having a set pick order for the positions. (support-jungle-mid- top- adc) The "I pick first" troll would be eliminated, as the chance for one of the crucial positions to be countered would be lowered.
-You are more likely to win with a solid team comp, based off the meta than you are if you were to have a screwball team. I don't have statistics to back myself up, but most players know that when the meta is followed, you win. Winning is fun.

Cons
-It enforces the meta. if a role que system was installed, it would enforce the current meta (1 top 1 mid 1 jungler 2 bot). A lot of people feel like it would feel... restricted and not as fun if Riot set out a certain way to play the game. Riot and the players both want the game to be fun, and if a players definition of fun is "2 mid 1 top 1 bot 2 jungles" then, who is riot to stop them? And what happens should some new Meta break ground? would we be stuck in old ways?
My rebuttal to that point would be that save the meta breaking tactics for blind pick.Or even make a new matchmaking que dedicated to role queuing. If someone wants to double top, let them have blind pick for that. But I feel most players would agree that the current meta is very solid in composition, and has a high success rate. More often than not, a team following the current meta, with everyone executing their roles well would beat a oddball team that is trying something new.
-Longer que times. Since some roles are more desirable to most people than others, people who choose a more popular position would be forced to wait longer than a person who chooses a less popular position. For example, someone who wants to DPS in WoW would have to wait longer than someone who wants to tank, since there is way more DPS's out there than tanks.
Well, this would be my weakest arguement, as this would be a side effect to this new form of matchmaking. There really isn't a way to counteract this, but come on. Would you rather risk getting stuck with a person who doesn't want to take the last role, or wait a extra couple minutes to find someone who will?
-What if someone ques as support, then picks someone who isn't a support? Well, with this I feel Riot would really need to observe games and see how people play the champion, and update their roles. This way, you can take Zyra mid, or support should you please. This won't stop a player from going top as a AD bruiser Soraka once the game starts( Yes,I've seen that before), but at least it can lower the chance that it will happen before the game starts.
In conclusion, I believe that there should be a matchmaking playlist dedicated to Role Queuing. It doesn't necessarily have to take the spot of draft, but I feel it's necessary. People don't want the meta to be enforced, but they are probably the same people that would get mad at someone for not filling the last slot on the team.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading my thoughts, please leave any comments and criticisms below. Have a great day.

Edit: You guys are raising very good points, and I'm changing my argument a little: I propose that they have a role que, as it's own separate playlist. A couple of you are suggesting that a premade team would be able to break the meta and win. I personally don't believe the role que would be necessary for ranked 5v5 and 3v3, more so for solo/ duo que. I bet most people who enter solo/duo come with the intention of winning; not breaking tradition. That may seem like I'm suggesting that in order to win you most follow the meta, which I don't believe. I do believe that the role que system would be able to keep the team balanced, and not have people double up on positions rather than creating a diverse team.

In short: I think role que should let the players pick a role (support, jungler, bruiser, ap carry, etc) and then once they get into the game they discuss what they will do with the strategy. This the meta is not enforced, but teams still become balanced.

ASAP Burt

02-15-2013

I feel like most people are deterred when they see the wall of text I have laid before them. haha

Squables

02-15-2013

100% agree with this idea. so tired of little kids threatening to feed because they cant do the one roll they think they know how to play. i feel like im playing with a bunch of 5 year olds when i turn on this game its so frustrating

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2013

I've talked about this too with my friends but I think the gaps between skill may be larger and the roles may be imbalanced (demand). I could be wrong too but yeahhhhhh---

Edit: Besides, isn't it more fun to have people say, "you should be able to play every role?" (I can only play three but yeahhh).

LolliChang

02-15-2013

I am the kind of player who likes to try new stuff, but no one wants to follow, and every time i propose something like, "im supporting top" team ends up calling me noob and other bad words.

I think this game has way too many and different champions to just put them in 5 roles. The Versatility of the champions is what makes this game fun. Problem is that people are closed mind and think the meta is the best way to win. Im sure it doesnt really have to be like that.

LoudFootSteps

02-15-2013

Seriously, I don't understand the thought process behind trolls. "I didn't get the role I want, so I'll just sacrifice LP for no reason." This makes extremely little sense.

This would probably hurt me as well. I don't excel at any specific role, I can play adc, mid and top as good as each other, while jungling and support is my weakness. However, if I was forced to choose a lane I would have to decide which role I wanted and therefore if the enemy picks someone I am not comfortable laning against I couldn't switch lanes.

Plus queue times would skyrocket as people the game looked for people willing to support.

ASAP Burt

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolliChang View Post
I think this game has way too many and different champions to just put them in 5 roles. The Versatility of the champions is what makes this game fun. Problem is that people are closed mind and think the meta is the best way to win. I'm sure it doesn't really have to be like that.
That's an excellent point. I'll admit I'm guilty of believing following the meta is the best way to win, but that's because it has been proven to work. I'm always skeptical of playing new strategies unless I have practiced them personally or if I've seen them work elsewhere.
But you do raise an excellent point, which is why I recommend a separate playlist to test out how the role que would work.

ROKAF JE

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta bananas View Post
That's an excellent point. I'll admit I'm guilty of believing following the meta is the best way to win, but that's because it has been proven to work.
Odd argument, considering the enemy team is doing the exact same thing.
Countering it would be the best way to win.

ASAP Burt

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFootSteps View Post
Seriously, I don't understand the thought process behind trolls. "I didn't get the role I want, so I'll just sacrifice LP for no reason." This makes extremely little sense.

This would probably hurt me as well. I don't excel at any specific role, I can play adc, mid and top as good as each other, while jungling and support is my weakness. However, if I was forced to choose a lane I would have to decide which role I wanted and therefore if the enemy picks someone I am not comfortable laning against I couldn't switch lanes.

Plus queue times would skyrocket as people the game looked for people willing to support.
You make a good point with the people who are not necessarily good at any one role, but well rounded. I can see how the role que would hurt players like you, but I also recommend there be a separate playlist to see how it would work out.
What I'd say to players in the same boat as you, who wish to play in the role que, would be to pick the position you are most comfortable with. This prevents you from being locked into a position you aren't comfortable playing. In World of Warcraft for example, I'd always tank because I was comfortable doing it, but always when you are playing with people you don't know, you have to risk getting someone who isn't stellar at the position they pick. Thank you for the input though, you raise a good point.

ASAP Burt

02-15-2013

Thank you everyone for contributing your feedback, I do appreciate it.