A few thoughts/strategies about the newly evolving meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IKillButerflies

02-14-2013

Before I begin, bear in mind I'm only silver league so far but this is my observation about the new way people are picking champs and building items in the games I've played recently. I only hope this helps anyone who feels like they are overwhelmed a lot more often than they used to be.

So, in most of my champ selects across blind, draft and ranked I've noticed a massive trend forming over last few weeks, if not months. Champs selections are aiming mostly heavy ad teams with 1 ap and a good mix of bruisers and tanks round it out. On top of that everyone is stacking health. This has led to an odd trend that few that Ive come acros have taken advantage of.

So, how do we counter this rise in whole teams having 3k+ hp by mid-late game? Well, simple put... percentage health damage champs/items.

It seems odd to me that since health pools have risen insanely, I find less and less people running champs like Vayne, Elise, Lee and even Kogmaw. It may not seem like much, but a champion with innate %hp abilites allows you to focus a LOT more on survivability while still being a massive threat when buying hybrid items. Even weirder is how few Blade of the Ruined Kings I see even in late game. It may do nothing for you on low HP targets, but people get scared at low HP. Its when they're high on health that they need to be punished the most to take them out of the fight or just outright destroy them.

Also, there has been a massive dropoff in the AP jungle. With amumu banned in almost every game, most teams go with ad tanky champs (Vi, Hec, etc.). The problem there is people will stack armor and just eat the single ap's hits most of the time and unless that mid is painfully fed, its not enough. Possessing two AP threats on a team changes the game drastically. A solid Elise, Evelyn or Diana(who builds tanky ap of course) forces the enemy team to pick... armor or mr, leaving the other have of the damage free to eat into the enemy.

Discuss with your team their choices in lane AND who they want to play as so as not to rely to heavily on almost purely 1 kind of damage type.

TLR Incorporate %HP damage champs into your teams and item selections to combat the massive health pools prevalent in most teams and stop running 4 ad a support for crying out loud.

KIDDADDY

02-15-2013

riot is slowly working on nerfing and buffing items to help build against a team that builds health in the newest patch thats about to come out they are changing some items

GundayMonday

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2013

Great insight that's relevant at higher levels too. I'm playing with Gold/Plat players around 1700 elo right now, and you actually see %hp champs like Elise banned to counter this kind of logic quite often. Champs like vayne and kog maw see less play outside of specific situations since they get countered fairly easily.

The %hp items you mentioned are generally too expensive and hard to get unless you're just insanely fed, in which case you probably don't need them anyway. I like playing tanky ap junglers like amumu and sejuani, and will try to get Liandry's Torment for the %HP burn on all of my abilities when the other team stacks hp.

One consideration is that squishier champs do better against %HP dmg. Peeling for your carries becomes more important against a %HP team.

Spador

02-15-2013

I have noticed that a number of teams are playing with the idea of running double AD comps. I am curious has anyone seen/tried running a full Magic shred comp?

For example

Bruiser: Kayle/Katarina
AP Mid: Ryze/Karthus/Lux
Jungle: Kayle/Amumu
AD Bot: Kog
Support: Soroka

my thought was it would be like a dive comp... utilising kayles/sorakas ulti to protect focused targets while kog artillies from the back. Assuming that the magic reductions stack... everyone would be hitting true damage.

any thoughts?

GundayMonday

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spador View Post
I have noticed that a number of teams are playing with the idea of running double AD comps. I am curious has anyone seen/tried running a full Magic shred comp?

For example

Bruiser: Kayle/Katarina
AP Mid: Ryze/Karthus/Lux
Jungle: Kayle/Amumu
AD Bot: Kog
Support: Soroka

my thought was it would be like a dive comp... utilising kayles/sorakas ulti to protect focused targets while kog artillies from the back. Assuming that the magic reductions stack... everyone would be hitting true damage.

any thoughts?
That's actually pretty scary. One thing to consider though, all ap eventually falls off when compared to ad. This comp would have to win quickly, especially against an ad centric team. It looks like it would work as long as you win quickly.

Bugog

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundayMonday View Post
That's actually pretty scary. One thing to consider though, all ap eventually falls off when compared to ad. This comp would have to win quickly, especially against an ad centric team. It looks like it would work as long as you win quickly.
You have to have magic damage to keep them honest, even late game. If you only have AD damage then you're going to get hosed by armor (despite all the crying over BC).

I don't know how many times I've faced the all physical damage team, and more often than not they have to win early or else those armor items go on and they start hitting with wiffle bats. One or two AP mages will fix that.

Spador

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundayMonday View Post
my thought was kog, ryze and kayle are fairly late game characters. I thought if anything they would be susptible to early push characters. But as kog, kayle and amumu are picked often you could hide the strat until the end of the pick round.

Kayle and kog are very AS centric, and the natural counter frozen heart would slow down the attack speed, but as your whole comp is dealing magic damage, the armour would be practically useless for the oposing team.

i think the karthus requim/ flash curse of the mummy followed by a dive would decimate most team fights. Esp with saroka starfalling. kayles reckoning could isolate spefic targets, while karthus wall of pain could protect the kog at the back.

I would love to see some pro's pull this comp... just to see if it is legit.

Etherimp

02-15-2013

Mordekaiser with DFG. %hp all day, bra.

Also, Champs like Cho'gath (who have innate HP gains) have inherent advantage because they can actually afford to build resistances first.