Help with Zed items/Quints

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrEvolution

02-14-2013

Is it feasible to go :

> Brutalizer > Double Dorans/ Pickaxe > Warden's Mail > Randuins

> Blood Thirster > Warmogs > Blade of the Ruined King

Main justification:
Top players usually have AD/ jungler + top need to usually be tanky.
Brutalizer usually gives me enough damage to squash the AD carry and wound the AP.
I rely on my team to finish the rest- if they can't win with the AD carry pushed back or killed, I lose my games anyway. Silver 4 (~1250 ELO/ LKS)

Been trying a variation of the above items depending on how much farm or gold I get in lane.

I usually stock up to 3-5 health pots/ if no gold for next item, buy 2 sight wards or 2 visions if preparing for dragon.
> Is this an excess?

I like ganking mid when I've pushed the top lane > is it better to have 3 AD quints full stop or can I keep 2 AD+ 1 movement quint?

A general look of my history with tips of help would be appreciated, thanks!

Romantic Metro

02-14-2013

I understand the concept and it does work here. However and I'm sure ROKAF JE (whose really good at this btw and will comment when he sees this) would have a great answer. That Randuins is a nice touch, but he's so reliant on that team make up your better off letting the tanks do their job. You just want to be able to burst down their adc and ap fast and either get out or clean up.

I generally go boots and 3 pots if they have skill shots, and if they don't i build either armor and 5 pots or longsword and 2-3 pots. From there I go for brutalizer>vamp scept> boots of mobo/red crystal health>BC>BFsword(BT if I can)/Giants Belt>Warmog>BT (Not double stacked just if I got a warmog first)>alaricity boost>SOTD

I swap sometimes depending on the match BT with BOTK and BC with LW. I'll also build another defensive item if a particular baddy has some awesome damage and is doing work on me like spirit of vasage for MR and cooldown reductions as well boosts for my lifesteal. This is my general build I aim for with situational needs. It really depends on where you are. I mean BT first can be very effective if they have a squishy comp.

Also try running exhaust. mix and match those spells see how it works. I love exhaust for the utility. Your ult is generally gonna be enough and it allows you to chase and destroy quickly. It's great defensively as well for that top lane or mid lane (Zed is very viable in mid lane) when a gank comes in.

Lastly having wards and about 2-3 hp pots every back if you used them up is always good but yea maybe one every buy back is enough unless you can farm like a boss (which you can) and if you end up pretty even in the lane and it's a farm fest would i buy 2 so you can feel comfortable being in that middle part where ganks usually are. I usually ward a little bit outside the bush so I can see both areas a ganker can come from as well as see them sooner. Bush is good too, but really you should be paying attention to that map anyways.

Best of luck mate with Zed! He's super fun and just generally awesome. Lots of utility with him.

ROKAF JE

02-15-2013

I'll give you a detailed answer when I have time.

Zed has no real static build, there are a ton of options on him. Everything you build except boots an black cleaver is situational.
Randuins is something I'd consider but I rarely have the need or the build space for it.

IMHO, Skip the double dorans. They were nerfed and I don't like them anymore, I'd rather use the money towards my endgame build.
At most, I'd build 1.
Your current build waits WAY too long for damage.

Frozen Mallet > Warmogs IMHO
This way, the ADC isn't really being pushed back. It's being murdered and can't escape you.

BotRK is highly situational, and I don't like it very often. It scales best with attack speed, and the active isn't THAT good for your ultimate.
I do like it with Sword of the Divine (for the insane damage during ult window), but that's another build I don't use often.
It's also not a rush item.

You need a big source of damage before you can make a real impact. Either BC, BT or IE (BT is preferable)
Your history is lacking a "big ticket item" as listed above.

I run 21/9/0 12 armour pen 9 damage in lane
21/9/0 7 damage 7 arpen 3% movespeed in the jungle

Everything here is based on my last 40 games (all Zed) and is my opinion and a little research done.

Romantic Metro

02-15-2013

BUMP for op

ROKAF JE

02-15-2013

edited OP

MrEvolution

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKAF JE View Post
I'll give you a detailed answer when I have time.

Zed has no real static build, there are a ton of options on him. Everything you build except boots an black cleaver is situational.
Randuins is something I'd consider but I rarely have the need or the build space for it.

IMHO, Skip the double dorans. They were nerfed and I don't like them anymore, I'd rather use the money towards my endgame build.
At most, I'd build 1.
Your current build waits WAY too long for damage.

Frozen Mallet > Warmogs IMHO
This way, the ADC isn't really being pushed back. It's being murdered and can't escape you.

BotRK is highly situational, and I don't like it very often. It scales best with attack speed, and the active isn't THAT good for your ultimate.
I do like it with Sword of the Divine (for the insane damage during ult window), but that's another build I don't use often.
It's also not a rush item.

You need a big source of damage before you can make a real impact. Either BC, BT or IE (BT is preferable)
Your history is lacking a "big ticket item" as listed above.

I run 21/9/0 12 armour pen 9 damage in lane
21/9/0 7 damage 7 arpen 3% movespeed in the jungle

Everything here is based on my last 40 games (all Zed) and is my opinion and a little research done.

Thanks for bumps and replies!

I like BotRK due to the slow if I do miss the range of my E, W, E combo + lifesteal back during ganks and teamfights.
> If you get Phage/Frozen Mallet though I see why the slow is not so useful/ not looked upon. Probably easier for the Frozen Mallet to be automatic too.

I usually get the double dorans because of the lack of gold I have in inventory and not wanting to return to lane with 400-500g in inventory with wards.
> Do you just do this and rush BT/ big items or just continuously farm without ward coverage and stay passive?

How do you build when jungling?
> I've been getting Hunter's Machette then rushing my usual lane items, it's been double edged with ganks- if I succeed, I land my damage. If I fail, I do not have enough sustain/ health/armour to get out usually and return to the jungle.

Thanks again for the help, appreciate it.

Romantic Metro

02-15-2013

I rush Brutalizer if i can but if i have to back out i have to back out. chances are you've either pushed that lane or that turret can take a few hits for you to back out. Wards are good to have so that way you can be deep in their zone and blink out if you need to.

Jungle Zed is a bit rougher. But along your lines yea same thing. Though spirit of the elder lizard is nice for that if you want to build a jungle item.

ROKAF JE

02-15-2013

For jungle: I heavily prefer spirit of the lizard elder over wriggles on zed. Your clear is fast, ability based and the item scales better into late game. 180~g worth of wasted mana but that means nothing to me at the rate I kill and farm.
It's typically machete/vamp scepter/boots/maybe 1 dorans blade/brutalizer
To clarify: Zed only needs life steal to jungle, not an actual jungle item. I am considering buying 2 LS quints for this reason.
I find jungle Zed to be an extreme challenge, to be honest. Only meh ganking and no early sustain can be crippling if you get invaded.
He is best when every lane has a form of stun/snare.
- -------------------
Lane:
BT/IE and Brutalizer are the 2 most important items you can buy to start ramping up power. It's part of the reason I don't like wasting money on dorans, yes.
If I have 400-500g, I'll get one of the following: cloth armor, boots, null magic mantle, long sword, and wards/potions.
He uses alot of long swords, they're always a solid purchase.
Phage vamp last whisper brutalizer
That's 5.
I almost never not have wards. I try to keep 2 on me until i have 6 items.
My lane looks like its covered in Christmas lights. Teammates love me, and enemies hate me.

Long story:
I had a mirror match against another zed. He hit level 2 first as I was leashing and got first blood.
My jungler showed up once and died, making things worse.
Despite warding, I was murdered several times by their jungler from behind the turret ganks.
I ended up with the best score in the game, with an 80cs + 5 kill lead over the enemy zed.

Just an example of how careful and smart plays can keep Zed relevant.
MrMetro watched the early parts of this match

I have been shut down only once, by a Kha'zix top and a Hecarim jungle. Kha snowballed beyond my control, and then killed everyone on my team a few times over.