Quinn's lore feels like it has a gap in it

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trolosaurus

02-14-2013

I don't know why......

Lore
Quinn and Valor are an elite ranger team. With crossbow and claw, they undertake their nation's most dangerous missions deep within enemy territory, from swift reconnaissance to lethal strikes. The pair's unbreakable bond is deadly on the battlefield, leaving opponents blind and riddled with arrows long before they realize who they're fighting: not one, but two Demacian legends.
As a young girl, Quinn shared a hunger for adventure with her twin brother. They dreamed of becoming knights, but lived a quiet, humble life in the rural borderlands of Demacia. Together they imagined triumphant battles in faraway lands, seizing glory for their king and slaying foes in the name of Demacian justice. When daydreams alone could no longer satisfy their warriors souls, they embarked on daring wilderness adventures in search of true danger. One such quest turned to tragedy when a terrible accident claimed her brother's life. Overcome with grief, Quinn abandoned her dreams of knighthood.
On the anniversary of her loss, Quinn gathered the courage to return to the scene of the tragedy. To her surprise, she found a wounded Demacian eagle at the site of her brother's death - a rare and beautiful bird long believed extinct. Quinn nursed the fledgling back to health, and as they grew up together, a deep bond formed between the two. She saw the same quality in her newfound friend that had lived within her brother, and so she gave him the name ''Valor.'' The pair found strength in each other, and together they pursued the dream she had once abandoned.
The Demacian army had never seen heroes like Quinn and Valor. Their deadly skills quickly set them apart from their rank-and-file peers, but many still had their doubts. How could a common-born girl, even with such a powerful creature at her side, forego years of military training? Quinn and Valor proved themselves on one critical mission, tracking down a Noxian assassin who had evaded an entire Demacian battalion. When they brought him to justice, they finally earned the admiration and respect of their nation. The two now serve as living, fighting icons of Demacian strength and perseverance. Together, Quinn and Valor will stand against any threat to their beloved home.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

The gap you do talk about,to me,feels like we have no idea how she raised herself trough the ranks.We also dont know how much she trained before\in the military.We have the gap in between entering the army-getting so important to get THAT mission,also this:
The first and the last paragrafh tell almost the same thing,except for how she proved herself.
It feels repetitive,and like my essay teacher(we have those from where I am),it also lacks connectives,so the text feels like it is just 4 paragrahs trow together,no ''glue'' between them,or maybe theree,because as I said,first and alst SAY THE SAME THING

#RipLore

SoresuMakashi

02-14-2013

It feels a little bit rushed to me, but that's always been a problem with champion bios. I also feel that it abruptly changes from a focus on her personal story to "just a regular hero bio" at the beginning of the last paragraph. How do they feel among the unfamiliar elite of Demacia? Do they fit in? Are they happy? How has her feelings towards Valor and her dead brother changed? Most importantly, what struggles lie ahead? I would also have loved to hear a little bit about Valor's backstory, but I understand that it wasn't practical to put all of this stuff in the bio. Maybe some other time...

KiteMeGood

02-15-2013

Simple, when conscription came for Quinn, she proves herself as a scout of the Demacian cause, however she went above and beyond when there was an assassination plot that was supposed to implicate the Du Couteaus but it was another assassin for hire. If Talon was caught that day there would have been a major political incident between Noxus and Demacia rather than a simple brushfire incident.

And for joining the league, Crownguard and Brightshield recommended her to become the official spotter of the Demacians, to round out Lux's spellcasting and being the team's hunter (afterall, Vayne is a simple Vigilante and cannot be trusted as easily)

Melancholy Exile

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteMeGood View Post
Simple, when conscription came for Quinn, she proves herself as a scout of the Demacian cause, however she went above and beyond when there was an assassination plot that was supposed to implicate the Du Couteaus but it was another assassin for hire. If Talon was caught that day there would have been a major political incident between Noxus and Demacia rather than a simple brushfire incident.
She didn't just go above and beyond, though:

Jarvan, the crown prince of Demacia, chose her specifically to address that concern. Either she was already considered an exceptional prospect, such that they had no better agents for the job, or this wasn't her first high-profile mission of the kind. Her preview made it clear that he personally spoke with her regarding the job, making it clear just how hush-hush the operation was and how much trust he had to have in her abilities.

The lore just positions her as some figure who was always exceptional and exemplary, even without any sort of training or real preparation for military service. It fast-tracks her through to her crucial mission without any real suggestion of how she proved herself worthy or what led to her, as someone who should normally be barred from any sort of advancement, being separated and elevated from the rank and file. We simply have to accept that Quinn was super-awesome from start to finish because her bio really gives us nothing else to go on.

What particularly irks me is how little impact the issue of Quinn being an outsider in Demacian society has on her background and character. There's nothing in her spoken dialogue to reflect her lower birth and her lore brushes it away with "When they brought him to justice, they finally earned the admiration and respect of their nation". I thought Quinn was supposed to be challenging Demacian traditions and causing some measure of internal strife, yet apparently everybody loves the girl.

Wouldn't it make more sense for this mission to have been kept entirely secret from the public and have her be distrusted because people aren't at all sure what she did to earn her place? Why would it suit Jarvan to make it common knowledge that the Dauntless Vanguard were blundering after a lost cause and blaming the Noxians for a plot when they had no evidence they were involved at all?

Junksie

02-15-2013

I agree, to an extent. While the lore does feel a little bit short and rushed, with gaps in between, it is better than or as good as many of the champion lores out there. We also have all the teaser lore they gave us which allows us to fill in some of those gaps and get more in-depth information on who Quinn is. The journal entries give us extra insight into her personality, and that is something I enjoy immensely.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
She didn't just go above and beyond, though:

Jarvan, the crown prince of Demacia, chose her specifically to address that concern. Either she was already considered an exceptional prospect, such that they had no better agents for the job, or this wasn't her first high-profile mission of the kind. Her preview made it clear that he personally spoke with her regarding the job, making it clear just how hush-hush the operation was and how much trust he had to have in her abilities.

The lore just positions her as some figure who was always exceptional and exemplary, even without any sort of training or real preparation for military service. It fast-tracks her through to her crucial mission without any real suggestion of how she proved herself worthy or what led to her, as someone who should normally be barred from any sort of advancement, being separated and elevated from the rank and file. We simply have to accept that Quinn was super-awesome from start to finish because her bio really gives us nothing else to go on.

What particularly irks me is just how far the issue of Quinn being an outsider in Demacian society has been forced into the background. There's nothing in her spoken dialogue to reflect her lower birth and her lore brushes it away with "When they brought him to justice, they finally earned the admiration and respect of their nation". I thought Quinn was supposed to be challenging Demacian traditions and causing some measure of internal strife, yet apparently everybody loves the girl.

Wouldn't it make more sense for this mission to have been kept entirely secret from the public and have her be distrusted because people aren't at all sure what she did to earn her place? Why would it suit Jarvan to make it common knowledge that the Dauntless Vanguard were blundering after a lost cause and blaming the Noxians for a plot when they had no evidence they were involved at all?
This