Idea for RIOT staff

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Larynth

02-14-2013

Ok I'm a realist and I respect that while you want to weed out those bad elements in the game you have to make a living as well. Let's face it the Tribunal is backlogged and people intentionally troll while dancing around the edges of report-able behavior. The honor system only works if you care about your reputation. Why not institute a secure server that people can pay to port their accounts to, where infractions that are a clear violation of the summoner's code are a one-way ticket back to the normal server. In other-words let the dregs who don't support you monetarily anyway do their worst for free while you can offer a troll-free environment for the rest, where a single misstep is your eviction notice. For those of us who are willing to pay for the sanity it's nigh Utopian.
It's a win-win, no excuses, you pay to switch you accept the terms of one single statement that is inflammatory or derogatory lands you back in the world where that is unavoidable and you can stew with your own kind. For the rest of us who are willing to modify our behavior we leave the turds in the toilet if you will, wipe, flush and move on with life.

Fleetfiend

02-14-2013

The problem with that is that the decent players who don't want to pay will get stuck with all the trolls.

Also, the "one strike, you're out" just wouldn't work. If you pay to be able to access something, you should be able to access it, period.

However, if they made it a very small fee to get in, and it only lasted for, say, a month, I think it could work. It's still touchy though.

E„gle

02-14-2013

A ton of people playing a free game. I dont think alot of those people would want to pay just because otherwise they WILL be stuck with trolls because all the other non trolls payed
AKA you are forced to pay

Larynth

02-14-2013

I think you are assuming everyone thinks as you do. Many of the more mature folks played pay to play games exclusively and treat this as a pay to play investing 10 or so a month as if it had a fee. Or at least when the new champs come out. If it's voluntary and payed I would wager that a great many folks would pay and that yes the troll concentration on the unpaid server would go up. Thus creating a Dev's dream of a self sustaining income with a pay for content cherry on top. As to those who play for free let's be fair The programmers at RIOT don't get a pass on the rent because of the leeches in the game so why should they truly care about them? Their focus should be on maintaining their paying clientele. Sorry but welcome to the real world where people have to pay their own power bills and mom doesn't grocery shop for you.
Now to be fair I'm not suggesting a monthly subscription just a one time fee to transfer with the "I accept" button clearly marked this is a mandatory uphold the code server, choosing to behave in a manor contrary to the code revokes your log in privileges and you go back to the norms with the rest of the trolls. No tribunal no playing cutie with the chat logs, the matches would be recorded and the team would be able to watch game play to determine if an infraction really occurred.

Larynth

02-14-2013

And to answer the next question the increased revenue would easily support the man hours to enforce the rules, given that it would only take a few minutes to review a match in fast forward to identify blatantly intentional feeds, or other forms of intentionally negative behavior.

Fleetfiend

02-14-2013

Why resort to insults? If you are just going to insult and completely invalidate others' opinions, contact Riot staff directly rather than posting in the forums. FtP players are not "leeches," they are players who want to play a good game without having to make a commitment. Are Guild Wars players "leeches?" What about Star Wars: the Old Republic?

I think you are assuming everyone thinks as you do as well; I'm pretty sure not many players would want to pay for something that they could be banned from for something extremely simple when then can play the same game without having to pay in the first place. In general, people are cheap. Sure, there would be some really hardcore members that would go for it. But what if someone (or group) in the pay-server gets really mad at another player and falsely reports them? Depending on how severe the banning system you are proposing would be, that would mean someone just got cheated out of what they paid for.

Besides, do you honestly think Riot is lacking in income? The reason LoL is so popular is because is is so good for a FREE TO PLAY game. They already have a fair microtransaction system in place, which is where FtP games get their money. And it works, since the FtP nature of the game has drawn in millions of players.

Your idea isn't an awful idea, but it isn't really a good one either, and it would be taking a giant risk on Riot's part that probably wouldn't be worth it and would tick off a large portion of their fanbase, which is the last thing a franchise wants to do if they can help it (because there goes a good portion of the microtransactors with it, potentially reversing any profits they could make from a pay-server and resulting in a wasted effort).

If nothing else, it would be an interesting idea to START OUT a game with that kind of payscheme, see how it goes. But LoL is doing pretty well as it is, IMO.

Larynth

02-14-2013

Ok possibly not the best choice of words but the micro transaction system is intended as free to try, not "we worked for 40 hours a week forever so you could just hang out and never donate anything for our efforts." I'm just saying as a person who has bills to pay, if I have to tick someone off the guy who has contributed 0 would be the top of my list that's a reality of life.
If you play for free and never support them I have to be honest and say I really don't care that much if I offend you. If you play to level 30 without ever spending a penny in cash that's pretty jacked up. Clearly if they didn't see some value to allowing it i.e. faster q times they would disallow it. But if all you bring to the table is a slightly faster q time and violations of common courtesy where is the value in that?