Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Questions about Thresh and Masteries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sneaky Thing

02-14-2013

Does the Legendary Armor mastery in the fifth tier of the defense tree affect Thresh armor gained from his passive, or does that not count as bonus armor, only base?

Does the same mastery afect armor gained from Runes and other masteries, like the Tier 2 Hardiness Defense mastery?

I'm working on making a jungle thresh that ends up being a disruptive tank, and i'm trying to maximize his level 1 armor so he can survive fighting the Blue buff golem and red buff lizard.

With standard armor yellow runes and jungle masteries, he can take out the regular camp creeps easily, but the buff monsters destroy him because his armor is so low.

Also, which ability would you suggest getting at level 1? Q gives him decent single target clearing, but the low cooldown on E means he can aoe the smaller mobs down better while focusing the big one. W is a only a shield with a long cooldown if he jungles with it, so I don't think that'd be viable.

TheOneMillion

02-14-2013

When you mouse over your armor in the lower left character window, the number in green is your bonus armor, and the blue is base. Any number that is green is bonus armor, that includes runes, threshes passive, ect.

However, legendary armor is not a good mastery if you are trying to maximize EARLY armor, and still not that great late game. (1 point however is pretty good for late game compared to all other defense masteries)

Sneaky Thing

02-14-2013

Right you are. I got about 2 extra armor from it at level 1, so it's a no go.

I'm experimenting right now, and it looks like going 9/21/0 with either Q or E as my first skill and the other as my second is doable, but very slow and very low on health.

I'm now testing 0/9/21 to see if it's safer and faster.

Sneaky Thing

02-14-2013

Masteries of 0/9/21 caused me to be faster but I also died to golems after clearing Blue>wolves>wraiths.

Testing 2/8/20 to sacrifice the biscuit and gain some more damage on the minions.

Sneaky Thing

02-14-2013

After trying this several times with what I feel is the best, here is what I've found:

Masteries: 2/8/20
The Offensive 2 is in Butcher.
The Defensive 8 is 1 in Summoner's Resolve, 1 in Durability(might need to change to Perseverance), 2 in Tough Skin, 1 in Bladed Armor, and 3 in Hardiness.
The Utility 20 is 1 Summoner's Insight, 3 Meditation (he has mana problems even with blue buff), 1 in Enhance Recall (because I recall after wolves>blue>wraiths>golems and before red), 3 in Mastermind, 4 in Greed, 1 in Runic Affinity, 3 in Vampirism (which might be changeable to Intelligence for the CDR, but I like the lifesteal/spellvamp for surviving), and 4 in Awareness

Runes: Flat AD red, Flat armor yellow, Flat attack speed blues, and gold quints
I need the AD helps with his Q passive, the yellow gives him much needed level 1 armor, and the gold quints help his slow clear speed be more fruitful.

Starting Items:
Hunter's Machete and 5 health pots

Ability Order:
Q>E>Q>W as my first four abilities, but I suspect Q>E>E>W might be better because, while rank 1 E has less base damage than rank 1 Q, it's aoe and has a lower cooldown. I think Q only needs rank 1, so I would rank it up last, and rank E up first for the better and AOE base damage.

Tips and Tricks:
I found Q is useful for his slow movespeed, to get to camps faster, as you can hook the big wolf, the big wraith, and the smaller of the two golems easily when travelling between camps and then activate again to go to them, then E to knock up the camp. This gives about a second of unreturned damage.

Another trick is that if you Q an enemy and dont' activate it, both of you stop attacking, but if you Q an enemy and activate to pull yourself to them, the two of you end up facing away from each other. The handy thing about this is that thresh immediately turns around for his regular attack, but the creep takes a second to start attacking again. Also, knocking the wolves/Blue golem/Red lizard/big golem away from you will interrupt their attacks while they walk back to you, but this doesn't with the big wraith because it's ranged.

Finally, when fighting blue buff golem for the first time, if you stand just out of the leash range of the melee golem, it will constantly reset while you attack the ranged lizards around it, so you can take them out without getting hurt by the golem, then Q to the golem, activate it again to pull yourself into perfect range, but still have about a half a secodn of free attacking before it begins to attack you. This probably also works with red buff but I have yet to try it.

Sneaky Thing

02-14-2013

Changed my masteries to have the 1 point in Perseverance rather than Durability, and the change was noticeable but not hugely so. The regen helps, but you still get low. Fortunately, I think this means you really make the most out of this mastery.

Also changed the Flat AD red runes to Flat attack speed reds, and I didn't see the difference. I'm considering stacking all armor reds, yellows, and blues, or maybe armor reds and yellow with mana regen blues. Mana is a huge issue, especially when blue buff runs out (which it will, with his slow clear time).

I also went Q>E>E>W, and started blue instead of wolves. I think with help to clear wolves before blue spawns (without help and without smite, wolves die at around 2:05, 10 seconds after blue spawns), that going wolves>blue>wraiths>golems>red and then wraiths again before going b to buy would be doable, but starting with blue and leveing up to get E made the wolves clear faster. I prefer Q>E>E>W over Q>E>Q>W or E>Q>E>W or anything else. The passive from the Q really helps a lot.