Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Replays Alpha Test on PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agatio

Recruiter

02-14-2013

Quote:
Drëd:
Make sure that you still preserve the anonymity of players. That's one of the most important parts of the Tribunal, in my opinion.

Perhaps Tribunal Replays would be coded to not show Summoner names or the chatbox, as they are not needed in Intentional Feeding cases.

But sometimes the chatbox combined with video can be useful, as recently I read a forum post where one guy on this team was doing this:

"Hey, [person], why'd you do that?"
"Wow, [person], please stop feeding."
"[person], don't just tower dive like that."

And [person] wasn't even playing poorly. They were just stuffing the chatlogs for a false report. A replay could help see what is really going on here.

Melisan

02-14-2013

Now, because this is being recorded while you play and some older computers have performace issues with just playing league, not even recording the game, will this have an option to turn off? I don't run the best comptuer and don't want to see my 17fps rating drop any lower :x

RoboLions

User Experience Designer

02-14-2013

Quote:
Saiyori:
Now, because this is being recorded while you play and some older computers have performace issues with just playing league, not even recording the game, will this have an option to turn off? I don't run the best comptuer and don't want to see my 17fps rating drop any lower :x

We record it on our side, so during a game there is nothing replay related between you and your sweet sweet fps.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

02-14-2013

Quote:
Mighty Toothman:
I strongly believe in prioritizing user control. User friendliness is obviously important, but providing the full array of intuitive options more technical users might incline is how games develop strong and permanent fan bases. There are still huge modding communities for Morrowind, for example, largely due to the freedom in user control that Bethesda offered in the construction kit.

While I agree powerful option sets and modding tools are a way to "develop strong and permanent fan bases", I would disagree with the claim it is the only way to achieve that goal (example: Mario Kart). Likewise, having those tools at the player's disposal does not in itself guarantee achieving the goal.

Quote:
An example of how Riot has poorly approached user control is the strict limitations on custom games. We can't make custom maps, bots are only available in "beginner" difficulty (that one really makes no sense), and we have no ability to modify fundamental game elements such as starting gold and levels.

That said, I'm hopeful that you load the replay feature with such options. Directory selection, free access to download replays WITHOUT having to watch them, and potentially even auto-download are all obvious user control elements that should go without saying. But as we all know, the world needs a Saiyan...

There are a lot of topics mentioned here, and I don't want to derail the thread from its original intent. What I will say is this: Game development is a continuous exercise of prioritization and trade-offs, and there are a ton of variables that affect each decision along the way. What may seem like a no-brainer decision can be considerably more complicated than one would assume. We certainly aren't perfect in this regard, but more often than not there's a good reason behind the decisions we've made.

That doesn't mean we are satisfied with the state of the game. There's a pretty massive backlog of features we intend to add to LoL, some of which you've actually mentioned here. More good things are coming.

HolyChalice

02-14-2013

Is it possible that there can be a feature that shows the masteries and rune pages that the person used or is that already in? For instance if I wanted to see what runes / masteries that were used in a tournament recently would be nice

CrazyGoNuts

02-14-2013

Quote:
rjcombo:
Currently we are not planning to include a passive download feature for the reasons I described in my previous post (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=34654910#post34654910).

Thats really inane. After you play a game that you want to share with people, why do you have to go in start watching a replay of the game you JUST PLAYED? just let us save it manually if we want to save it.

Twitchious

02-14-2013

At the end of a match when you are on the end of game screen with all of the stats and things. There should be a button on that page to "Add Game to Replay Browser." Just streamlines a bit of the process. But that may fall into your "passive download" category.

Gustavo8

02-14-2013

There will be some kind of camera rotation, currently present in LoLReplay? I struggle to make cool cinematic shots (As seen on my channel http://www.youtube.com/brasilcurtas)

YunoSama

02-14-2013

Could replays be used in the tribunal someday?

DreadPirateLynx

02-14-2013

Glad to hear this is finally gonna be made available! I do have a couple of thoughts on the implementation though:

First of all, I, like many others, would want there to be a way to manually download replays without having to watch them. I have a slower computer and I could easily see the process of starting a replay to save it, then exiting before finishing it taking upwards of 10 (or more) minutes per replay. I'll test this later tonight to see if my suspicions are confirmed. That said, I understand your concerns about server load and am perfectly fine with a manual download solution having some kind of limiting factor built into it.

Second, it seems a little odd and disconnected NOT being able to browse your unsaved replays with the Replay Browser. Add to it the fact that you can only view your 10 most recent replays via Match History and you are potentially (though not automatically) using up your server's storage space on files that aren't accessible to anyone. It seems that your last week's worth of replays should be available in a separate, clearly labeled section of the replay browser. Whether you should be able to search for other players' full replay history with the browser is another matter, and I don't particularly have a preference one way or the other.

Third, Player Perspective camera option for all players in the game. 'Nuff said

Finally, although it isn't really a problem for me, some people here have expressed a concern with privacy issues. If possible, it might be worth looking into giving users the option to set their replays to "Private". The way I see this working is if a player has set his options to make his replays private, then the only people who can download and watch any replay that player is in, are the players who were in the match with him/her. This would NOT stop the people who were in that game from sharing the replay with their friends, or posting it online somewhere. It would simply stop other random players from downloading the replays directly from Riot's servers via the client. It's not perfect, I know, but it's the best I could come up with right now. Ultimately I can see no way of making replays for a multiplayer game truly private, but this functionality would go a long way to making those players happy.

All in all though, thanks a bunch for all your guys' hard work!

EDIT: In addition to the "Private" tag, a "Friend's Only" tag may be nice as well. Basically the same as private, but the friends of everyone in the match could view it as well. Also, if people don't like the idea of one person setting their replays to private making any games they play with that person inaccessible to others, another option would be before each game having all players vote for their preferred privacy setting. Whichever setting gets the most votes wins. Ties go to the more private setting.